Architecture
August C. and Julia Richter Mansion
A native of San Antonio, August C. Richter (1863-1940) moved to Laredo in 1888. He acquired full ownership of an early fixed price department store, "El Precio Fijo." His wife, Julia, played a major role in the city's cultural and educational circles and introduced music to the Laredo public schools.
History
Benavides Brothers
Members of a prominent Laredo family, the three Benavides brothers were the descendants of Tomas Sanchez, who founded the city in 1755. Santos (1823-1891) and Refugio Benavides (b. 1824) and their half-brother Cristobal (1839-1904) were best known for their service in the Confederate army during the Civil War (1861-1865).
Architecture
Biggio-Kowalski-De La Garza House
Chester C. Biggio, a railroad official and the city's first fire chief, had this home built in 1909 for his family. He died in 1923, and in 1938 his widow Laura Blossman Biggio sold the house to Louis and Dorothy Kowalski. They lived here with their six children until 1948. Leonor de La Garza bought the house in 1965; her sister Fidela inherited it in 1973.
History
Bruni Plaza
When Juan Fernando de Palacios, Governor of Nuevo Santander, New Spain, designated Laredo as a villa in 1767, he laid out a central plaza as an integral part of the city's plan. During the era of Spanish colonization, the plaza functioned as a place for public meetings, readings of decrees, and corrals for cattle roundups.
History
Calvary Catholic Cemetery
Laredo experienced substantial growth in the late 1800s and soon the city needed a new cemetery. The process of creating Laredo's fourth camposanto, however, was not an easy one. Efforts to build the cemetery date to the 1880s, but political considerations, economic transactions and complaints from residents delayed its use until the turn of the 20th century.
History
Capitol, Republic of the Rio Grande
Federalists opposed to regime of Santa Anna in Mexico City were headed by Jesus Cardenas as president. Recruited aid in Texas, won victories in Mexico, after 2 years made peace with Centralists. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1965
History
Casa Ortiz
On King of Spain's grant to Don Jose Reyes Ortiz, merchant and go between for Mexico and Texas. Home to 5 Ortiz generations. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1964
History
Casa Vidaurri
On grant from Spain. Built 1874 by Texas military leader Santos Benavides. Sold 1883 to Eulalio Benavides. Still owned by descendants. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964
History
Coal Mining in Las Minas
Cannel coal was mined from the Santo Tomas coal field between 1881 and 1939 and several mining towns, collectively known as Las Minas, developed during this time. The towns were located in the vicinity of the points of access to the mines. The towns consisted of Minera (Carbon), Darwin (Cannel), Dolores (San Jose) and Santo Tomas.
History
El Paso de Jacinto
Throughout history, travelers sought natural fords that allowed safe passage across rivers and streams. Around 1746, Jacinto de Leon discovered such a crossing in this vicinity; it was probably used for centuries before that by indigenous cultures.
History
Jarvis Plaza
New York native Samuel Matthias Jarvis (1822-1893) received an engineering degree from Columbia University and joined General Zachary Taylor's army when the United States declared war against Mexico. After the war Jarvis worked in Vallecillo, Nuevo Leon, where he married Inocencia Flores. Their family settled in Laredo following the Civil War.
History
Juan Francisco Far'as Residence
Soldier and Laredo alcalde Jose Andres Farias and his wife Guadalupe Sanchez married at San Agustin Church in 1803 and had seven children; the oldest, Juan Francisco Manuel de la Trinidad Farias, was born in January 1807. He followed the family tradition of civic duty, serving as alderman and mayor of Laredo.
Industry & Science
La India Packing Company
La India Packing Company is a family owned and operated supplier of herbs, spices, and Mexican chocolate. The company has served as an integral part of Laredo's Hispanic community while offering buyers the unique flavors of Mexican and south Texas cuisine. In 1924, Mexico natives and husband and wife Antonio and Antonia Rodriguez opened La India Packing Company in Laredo out of their family home.
Military
Laredo Air Force Base
During World War I, Kelly Field (San Antonio), reached its peak training capacity and the U.S. Army built several auxiliary landing fields in South Texas, including one in Laredo north of Fort McIntosh. In 1940, as the nation faced another war, the city of Laredo hired local contractor H.B. Zachry to build an airport to replace the landing strip.
Civic & Local
Laredo's Washington's Birthday Celebration
In 1897, Laredo's local lodge of the Great Council of Texas of the Improved Order of Red Men decided to organize a celebration of George Washington's birthday. On February 21, 1898, the Red Men held a two-day festival featuring a mock battle, parade, concert, reproduction of the Boston Tea Party and fireworks.
Nature
Los Ojuelos
For thousands of years, Los Ojuelos (The Springs) were a source of the precious south Texas commodity of water. Eugenio Gutiérrez received a Spanish land grant in 1810 that included the springs, but attempts to settle here by Eugenio and his son, Isidro, were blocked by conflicts with Comanches.
Military
Pvt. David Bennes Cantu Barkley
Born in Laredo on March 31, 1899, David Bennes Cantu Barkley was the son of Josef Barkley, a career Army man stationed at Fort McIntosh, and Antonia Cantu. After the birth of David's sister Amelia, the family moved to San Antonio in 1904. At the age of 17, he enlisted in the Army under the name of David Barkley. Most World War I military records misspell his name as 'Barkeley.
History
San Bernardo Avenue
San Bernardo Avenue, which began as a commercial road in Laredo, became known as the San Antonio Highway by 1938, replacing the earlier route along Santa Maria Avenue. Due to the anticipated increase in tourism, San Bernardo Avenue property started to be developed even earlier for travel-related businesses, including motor courts and filling stations.
History
Santos Benavides
Santos Benavides, son of Jose Jesus and Marguerita Benavides and great-great grandson of Laredo founder Tomas Sanchez, was born in Laredo on November 1, 1823. He married Augustina Villareal in 1842. Benavides, appointed procurador (administrative agent) of Laredo in 1843, openly cooperated with the forces of Mirabeau B.
History
Site of Darwin Community
Known since Spanish times, coal mining in this area of the Rio Grande above Laredo dates to the early 19th century. Coal was floated down river on barges or hauled overland until the Pecos and Rio Grande Railroad was constructed by Alexander C. Hunt to reach the coal mines upriver. Welsh mining engineer David Darwin Davis discovered coal veins in Webb County.
History
The Ramón Family
The Ramón Family Engaged in much of Laredo's early history, the Ramón family occupied residential property at this site by 1869. Patriarch of the family was Ildefonso Ramón, who was in the Laredo area by 1800 and served as Alcalde for several terms.
Transport
The Texas Mexican Railway
Leading merchants in Corpus Christi began planning the Corpus Christi and Rio Grande Railroad in the 1850s to boost the south Gulf Coast as a center for commerce. Lack of funding and an economic slump prevented progress until 1875 when Uriah Lott became president of the railroad.
Architecture
Zuniga House
Roberto Zuniga moved to Laredo in 1916 from Monterrey, Mexico and established a custom brokerage business in 1918 with his brother Alfonso Zuniga. Roberto and Elvira Zuniga hired the local John O. Buenz Lumber Company to build this house in 1923 in the fashionable Heights neighborhood.