History
Burch-Cauble House
Burch-Cauble House, built 1835 by Peter Cauble, early settler. Enlarged by son-in-law Valentine Burch, veteran of battle of San Jacinto. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1964
History
Colmesneil-Mount Zion Cemetery
According to local oral tradition, African American residents of Colmesneil began using this land for burial purposes as early as the 1850s. The property remained in the hands of absentee landlords until the 1930s, when the new owner allowed burials to continue at the site. The oldest legible tombstone in the graveyard is that of Henry Mitchell, who died September 11, 1859.
History
Colmesneil, W.T., House
Willaim Taylor Colmesneil, the man for whom the town was named, built this house in 1883. He was one of the first conductors on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad, a passenger train that ran from Beaumont to Rockland. According to legend, Colmesneil had the house built facing the railroad tracks so that he could sit on the front porch and warch the trains go by.
History
David Curlee Enloe House
David Curlee Enloe built this house, 1852; brought his bride here April 4, 1853. Enloe was a teacher and trustee of Woodville College. Elected sheriff 1853, he served several years. Owned sawmill which cut lumber for the first Tyler County Courthouse. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967
History
Enloe Mill
Site of One of Earliest Tyler County Landmarks Enloe Mill (1 mi. south) A major contributor to county and state history. Built about 1840 on Billums Creek, where the swift current made by inflow of Belts Creek would turn a water-wheel, to generate power. Mill took name from owner Benjamin Enloe, an 1837 settler who bought this property in 1849.
History
Hart Mill Cemetery
THIS CEMETERY IS NAMED FOR A MILL THAT OPERATED ON NEARBY SUTTON LAKE, ALONG MAGNUS BRANCH. THE MILL WAS RUN FIRST BY ORIGINAL PATENTEE L.G. McGAUGHEY AND LATER BY RICHARD JEFFERSON HART; HART IS BURIED AT THE CEMETERY ALONG WITH SEVERAL OF HIS CHILDREN. THE BARCLAY FAMILY WAS ONE OF THE EARLIEST ANGLO FAMILIES TO SETTLE IN WHAT IS NOW TYLER COUNTY, ARRIVING IN 1836.
History
Home of James Edward Wheat
Located on a 2,952.2-acre tract of Republic of Texas land awarded in 1838 to Dr. Josiah Wheat, an early settler of Tyler County, and donor in 1847 of 200 acres for county seat, soon named Woodville. Site for this residence was acquired by William G. McDaniel, who built earliest part of house (two rooms downstairs and two upstairs) in 1848. Most memorable feature was gallery over the front porch.
History
James Barclay Place, 1842
Hand-hewn pine. Oldest home in county. Built by area's first Indian agent, an appointee of President Sam Houston. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
History
John Henry Kirby and Education in Woodville
John Henry Kirby, son of John T. and Sarah Payne Kirby, was born in the village of Peachtree in North Tyler County, Texas, in 1860. A promising young student, he was encouraged to move to Woodville where he could attend schools with a more challenging curriculum. Kirby married Lelia Stewart in 1883 and afterward joined the staff of Texas State Senator and Attorney Samuel Cooper.
History
John Wheat
(August 7, 1813 - April 24, 1889) A native of Lawrence County, Ala. Migrating to Texas in 1835, Wheat located his headright and bounty lands here, and named many Tyler County creeks while hunting bear and other game. A soldier in Texas War for Independence, he guarded a Mexican officer prisoner after Battle of San Jacinto.
History
Lt. Col. Philip A. Work
Came to Texas, 1838, represented Tyler County, Texas secession convention, 1861. Raised and was Captain, Co. F. 1st Regt., Hood's Texas brigade. As Lieutenant Colonel, commanded Hood's Texans June 1862-Jan. 1864, in battles such as Sharpsburg, where brigade had over 82% casualties. Greatest loss for any unit in any Civil War action. Col.
History
Moss Hill Community Cemetery
To help recognize its African American heritage, Tyler County resident John Cruse donated two acres here in 1906 to the Moss Hill community for church and cemetery purposes. According to local tradition the cemetery was established in the early 1900s because of the rising number of deaths within the membership of Moss Hill's Baptist Church.
History
Mount Hope Lodge No. 121, A. F. & A. M.
Oldest Masonic Lodge in Tyler County in continuous existence under original charter; founded at a site (2 mi. N) on oldest land grant in county, issued on March 17, 1834, to Gavino Araujo by state of Coahuila and Texas. On Oct. 13, 1852, James and Samuel Barnes, John I. Davis, William Sterling, and G. B.
History
Pedigo Family Cemetery
Abram (Abel) B. and Julia Pedigo came to Texas in 1857. With their eleven children, they established a plantation near this site in the 1880s. In addition to farming, the family operated a grist mill, cotton gin, and sugar mill. The Pedigos' daughter Cordelia and her husband, Sid McCarthy, lived in nearby Hardin County.
History
Pine Grove Missionary Baptist Church and School
Pine Grove Missionary Baptist Church was formed by African American residents of the Dies community during the late 1800s. The church was originally located adjacent to the Old Pine Grove Cemetery, approximately 1.5 mi. north of this site. In 1912, as the community shifted south along the road towards nearby Woodville, Frank Herring donated a half acre for the relocation of the church.
History
Site of Henry T. Scott School
Early African American citizens of Woodville educated their children in local churches and Masonic halls well into the twentieth century. Efforts to develop a better public school system for the students began with the dynamic leadership of educator Henry T. Scott.
History
Site of Old Peach Tree Village
In the early 19th century, the Alabama Indians -- then a large tribe -- made their headquarters on this site, and called their village "Ta-Ku-La," which meant "Peach Tree." Two trails blazed by early pioneers crossed here.
History
Squire Cruse
Soldier in the Texas War for Independence. Served in Bexar Campaign, 1835.
History
Texas Statesman Allan Shivers
One of Texas' strongest governors, a progressive, colorful, dynamic leader. Administration (1949-1957) -- longest in state's history -- was marked by winning fight for restoration of the tidelands to Texas. In state Senate, 1935, where he was youngest man ever seated up to that time, he was author of Texas old-age pension and unemployment compensation laws.
History
The Rev. Acton Young
(January 16, 1823-April 16, 1873) Born in Tennessee. Settling in East Texas, he married Margaret McMahan, daughter of founder of chapel called earliest permanent Texas Protestant Church. Licensed as a Methodist minister, Young served (1849-73) many communities, including Woodville.
History
The Yale Summer Forestry Camp and Gifford Pinchot
In 1909 at Mooney's Lake, now known as Twin Lakes (2 mi. WSW), senior students from the Yale University (New Haven, Ct.) School of Forestry met for their annual spring camp to study local timber management and lumber operations. In April that year the camp was visited by Gifford Pinchot (1865-1946), who served as the first chief forester of the U. S. from 1895 to 1910.
History
Tolar Kitchen
Built as home south of town 1866 by Robert Tolar. Logs cut, squared and notched on site. Has "mud cat" chimney, roof of hand-rived shakes. Converted to "cook house" where 3 meals every day were cooked over open fireplace until 1960. Pots were cooked "full" for travelers who "dropped in."
History
Tyler County
(Crossroads to East Texas) Home ground of civilized tribes of Indians. Visited 1756 by Spanish explorers, who were trying to keep French trading expeditions out of Texas. Site in 1831 of Fort Teran, commanded by Colonel ellis Peter Bean, famous and colorful adventurer. The county was created an organized in 1846.
History
Valentine Burch
Detailed to guard the camp near Harrisburg, April 21, 1836. Born in Kentucky in 1814; died in 1895. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Woodville Academy and Woodville College
Organized in 1849 in the new county courthouse (formerly at this site), the Woodville Academy offered advanced courses of study. Some of the subjects were astronomy, orthography (spelling), surveying and logic. In 1850 the school moved (1,500 ft. SE); it was sold, 1856. That same year the town of Woodville and Woodville College were chartered. The school-- in the old Masonic Lodge (1,200 ft.