History
Comanche Peak
At Austin's founding in 1839, Native American groups already living here included Apache, Waco (a branch of the Wichita) and Tonkawa. The dominant tribe was called Comanche; they called themselves Numunuu ("the people"). They controlled much of Central Texas since the mid 1700s, and their Comancheria homeland included much of what became Texas and the Southern Plains.
History
Confederate Men's Home
The Confederate men's home began in 1884 as a project of the John B. Hood Camp of United Confederate Veterans and was intended as a residence for disabled and indigent Confederate veterans. Potential residents were required to prove that they had served honorably in the Civil War, that they had a disability that prevented them from supporting themselves, and that they did not suffer from any…
History
Confederate Texas Legislatures
When Texas seceded, Feb. 1, 1861, the 8th Legislature was in Austin in a called session, adjourned Feb. 9. On March 18, the 8th came back for a second called session; the 9th and 10th Legislatures in turn were harassed with problems of the Civil War.
History
Congress Avenue
In his original 1839 plan for the Capital City, Edwin Waller, signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence and Austin's first mayor, designed Congress Avenue as Austin's most prominent street. Known for many years as "The Avenue", the street has been the scene of many important social, political, patriotic, religious, and military events.
Architecture
Cranfill Apartments
Dr. Thomas Cranfill (1913-1995), English professor at the University of Texas, commissioned this three-unit apartment building as a residence and studio for his partner, photographer and author Hans Beacham (1925-2004).
Architecture
Crusemann-Marsh-Bell House
Carrie Margaret (Graham) and Paul Conrad Crusemann and this house built in 1917 as one of the first homes in the Enfield subdivision. Mrs. Crusemann was the granddaughter of Texas Governor E. M. Pease, and served as a silent partner in the Enfield Realty and Home Building Co. with other heirs of the Pease estate.
History
Daniel H. Caswell House
Daniel H. Caswell came to Austin from Nashville, Tennessee, about 1895. He purchased a cotton oil manufacturing company, bought and sold cotton, and in 1899 built a cotton gin. When completed for his family in 1900, this house was located in the far northwest corner of the city.
History
Daniel Shipman
Participated in the Disturbance at Anahuac June, 1832 and the Storming and Capture of Bexar, December 5 to 10, 1835 Born in North Carolina February 20, 1801 Died in Goliad County, Texas March 4, 1881 Eliza Hancock Shipman Wife of Daniel Shipman Born December 22, 1813 Died in Goliad County, Texas September 11, 1858 Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Davis Cemetery
George W. Davis (ca. 1809-1884), his wife Eiline P. Moore Davis (1810-1872) and family arrived in Texas in 1835. George served in Captian Mosely Baker's company at the Battle of San Jacinto while Emiline spent six weeks with the children on the banks of the Sabine River in the Runaway Scrape. Davis received a patent for 3154 acres of his deadright in 1841 and built a home north of the cemetery.
Architecture
Davis-Sibley House
Austin architect Hal Thomson designed this 1931 home for Emma Levison Davis. She was a founding member of the settlement club and the widow of pioneer Austin Grocer Nelson Davis. The home passed to the Davis' son, Theodore, upon Emma's 1954 death; D. J. and Jane Sibley purchased the home in 1962.
Architecture
Dawson Stone House
Real estate developers Mary and Nannie Dawson built this house about 1900 as part of the South Heights expansion of Austin. The sisters were pioneer teachers in free public school system. Mary (Molly) was principal of Fulmore School, but she left teaching to pursue real estate. The builder was probably their brother and partner, Nick Dawson, who built several other stone houses.
History
Decker Swedish Evangelical Free Church and Cemetery
Among the Swedish immigrants who settled in Decker in the 1880s were many seeking freedom from the Swedish state church. The immigrants held meetings in homes and schoolhouses, and organized the Decker Swedish Evangelical Free Church. Joseph E. Johnson and his wife Charlotta (Mork) deeded land in 1892 on which a church building was erected and this cemetery was established.
History
Deep Eddy Bathing Beach
Swedish immigrant Charles Johnson built a large home for his family on 39 ares of land in this vicinity in the 1850s. In 1902 two of his children, Mary and Henry, opened Deep Eddy Resort. The Johnsons named the park for a deep hole in the limestone bed of Colorado River at this site that caused the water's current to from an eddy.
Military
Del Valle Army Air Base (Bergstrom Air Force Base)
(Bergstrom Air Force Base) Following the U.S. entry into World War II, the Army Air Corps established a base here in the Del Valle community on land once a part of the Santiago del Valle Mexican land grant. The City of Austin purchased 3,000 acres to lease to the federal government for use as an air base.
Architecture
Denny-Holliday House
The structure originated as a one-story limestone dwelling, built between 1869 and 1871 by Charles Denny. Mrs. N. L. Holliday, a widow with six children, purchased the house in1898 and added the second floor in 1906. The residence was later occupied by her daughter, Margaret (d. 1921), a local physician. Margaret and her husband Dr. Simon J. Clark renovated the house about 1920.
History
Desegregation of Lions Municipal Golf Course
In 1924, local Lions Club members formed the Austin Municipal Golf and Amusement Association to open the first public golf course in the city. The association leased part of the Brackenridge tract from the University of Texas, and by the fall of that year had converted the heavily wooded land into a nine-hole facility.
History
Desegregation of Texas Public Schools
The State of Texas instituted a public school system for African-American students during Reconstruction. This segregation of students was further established through the 1896 United States Supreme Court decision in Plessy v. Ferguson, which established the legality of the doctrine, "separate but equal." Desegragation of schools began after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Brown v.
History
Diocese of Austin
In 1947, the Catholic leaders of the San Antonio, Galveston and Dallas Dioceses voted to surrender counties within their Ecclesiastical jurisdiction to create the Diocese of Austin. This move led to the raising of St. Mary Church in Austin to a Cathedral Church and the selection of Louis J.
History
Downs Field
In 1954, the city of Austin relocated Downs Field here from its original location at 12th Street and Springdale Road where it was constructed in 1949 as a 'separate but equal' alternative to Disch Field. Downs Field has been used by the Austin Black Pioneers, Greyhounds, and Indians, and remains the home field of Huston-Tillotson University. It was named for Rev.
History
Doyle Farm
Arrival on Sept. 21, 1874, of two brothers of Holy Cross at the Doyle Farm James Doyle (1795?-1866). A native of Ireland, came to Texas in 1835. He was a stonemason, and in 1853 had charge of part of the work on the limestone Capitol being built in Austin. Also in 1853, he bought 498 acres of land and opened a farm at this site. His devout widow, Mary Doyle (d.
History
Dr. Jacob Tally Wilhite
(April 3, 1875 - January 27, 1927) Born on a farm near this site, Jacob Tally Wilhite received his early education in the public schools of the Willow Springs community. He attended the University of Texas in Austin and taught school in Bastrop County before continuing his studies at the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston.
Industry & Science
Dr. Robert Lee "R.L" Moore
(1882-1974) Dallas-born Robert Lee 'R.L.' Moore was a noted figure in the new generation of American-educated researchers of science in the early 20th century. He attended the University of Texas at Austin, earning both bachelors and masters degrees in 1901. In 1905, he graduated with a doctoral degree from the University of Chicago, which had a renowned department of research mathematics.
History
Driskill Hotel
Built 1885-86 by Col. Jesse L. Driskill (1824-1890), cattle king who moved to Austin in 1869. Brick dressed with limestone. Had three grand entrances -- one the largest arched doorway in Texas. "Ladies' Entrance" was on northeast. Bust of Col. Driskill is over south arch, busts of his rancher sons on east and west. Rich furnishings were selected by Col.
History
E.H. Carrington Grocery Store and Lyons Hall
Built in 1872, this commercial structure housed the successful grocery business of former slave Edward H. Carrington. After his death in 1917, the business was continued by his son-in-law Louis D. Lyons, a trustee of Samuel Huston College, who converted the second floor into a meeting room that became the site of many functions of the Black community. The E.H.
History
Eanes Cemetery
The establishment of this cemetery in 1874 provided for the burial of travelers and residents of eastern Travis County who did not have a family graveyard. The land was donated by early Eanes settlers William and Sophia Teague, who also deeded part of their property for a church and school.