History
To Josephus Hornsby
To Josephus Hornsby Mar. 15, 1822 Oct. 21, 1862 Son of Reuben Hornsby; settled here, 1832; Bastrop Ranger, 1837 In Flores Fight, 1839 Battle of Plum Creek, 1840 Brush Fight, 1840; Vasquez and Woll Campaigns, 1842; led fight against Indians from whom he rescued William Bell and Alexander Coleman in Austin, 1842 His wife Eliza Ann Lane Feb. 14, 1830 Sept. 6, 1892 Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Travis County
Created January 25, 1840 Organized April 8 1843 Named in honor of William Barrett Travis Born in Edgefield District, South Carolina, August 1, 1809. Came to Texas in 1831, Commander at the Alamo, where he was killed March 6, 1836. Austin, the County Seat, selected as the capital of the Republic of Texas in 1839 and by a vote of the people in 1850 made the permanent Capital of the State of Texas.
Nature
Tyler Rose
The Tyler Rose developed from a "native" rose planted by Cherokee Indians to mark tribal trails in the early 1800's. The rose developed a hardy root system now grafted to create classic hybrids. These roses are shipped by nurserymen all over the world. The beauty of the Tyler Rose is an example of what happens when God and man work together. (1969)
History
University Interscholastic League
In 1910, the President of the University of Texas at Austin instructed the Extension Department to organize an academic league for secondary schools to promote educational outreach in the state. At the December 1910 Texas State Teachers Association meeting in Abilene, interested teachers assembled and organized the debating league of Texas high schools.
History
Victory Grill
During World War II, segregation prevented African American servicemen from enjoying most civilian restaurants and recreational facilities. In an effort to address this issue, Austin civic leaders urged the city, through its 'Negro War Recreation Council,' to provide recreational sites for servicemen on leave from military posts.
History
Wahrenberger House
Charles Klein bought house from F. Huster, 1868, leased it to German-American Ladies College (1873-79), Texas German and English Academy (1880-86) and deeded it, 1882, to daughter Caroline (1834-1916), widow of John Wahrenberger (1812-64), early Austin settler.
Architecture
Walter and Mae Simms House
Austin architect Roger Q. Small designed this unique 1935 home for Walter and Mae (Moore) Simms, who established Simms Fish market in 1915 and delivered Gulf Coast seafood to hotels and restaurants throughout Central Texas for nearly forty years.
Architecture
Walter Tips House
This two-story Victorian house was built in 1876 for the family of Walter Tips (1841-1911), a prosperous hardware merchant. A native of Germany and Confederate veteran, Tips served in the state senate, 1893-96. The home was remodeled in 1909 to its present appearance. Another prominent businessman, Theo P. Meyer (1878-1966), occupied the residence from 1925 to 1966.
History
Waters Park
Waters Park was a multi-ethnic community located north of Austin in the 19th century. The Austin & Northwestern Railroad, which built a line through here to transport granite for construction of the State Capitol, built a recreational park in Waters Park, and ran excursion trains for customers. The resort was a favorite site for family outings.
History
Webberville Ebenezer Baptist Church
This church traces its origin to the plight of Anglo American John F. Webber, who along with his African American wife and children, settled in this sparsely populated area of Texas in 1839 to escape the racism they had experienced in towns and cities. A community known as Webber Prairie consisting of plantation owners and their slaves developed here.
History
West Hill
Tradition says architect Abner Cook built this house for Ruben and Mary Runner about 1855. Some later owners were F.E. Chandler and H.E. Shelley, lawyers, 1863-1909; The May Thompson family, 1917-69. Originally the house faced east, preempting the entire 1700 block, Rio Grande to West Avenue, with a separate kitchen, carriage house, other structures on the grounds.
Architecture
Westgate Tower
In 1962, the internationally-acclaimed architect Edward Durell Stone (1902-1978) of New York City and local firm Fehr & Granger designed the Westgate Tower, named for its location adjoining the west edge of the Texas State Capitol grounds.
Architecture
William Green Hill House
Tennessean William Hickman Hill settled in Austin in the 1850's.He and his family became cultural and civic leaders. A grandson, William Green Hill (1853-1903), his wife Ella Lone (Sanders) had this house built in 1890, Angling it to catch prevailing summer breezes. Mrs Hill's Father, The Rev. Bleuford B. Sanders, added two rooms for his own use after he retired from evangelism, about 1900.
Architecture
William Pfluger Home
A native of Germany and Confederate veteran, William Pfluger (1842-1923) bought this land in 1871, just before he married Franziska Sternberg (1851-1931). The limestone house was built in 1875 and the frame section added later. A rancher, Pfluger and also built a cotton gin, Pflugerville's first bank, and other commercial structures. He deeded land for the railroad and Lutheran Church.
History
Williams-Weigl House
This c. 1911 home is associated with two important Austin families. New York native Harvey Murdock Williams, a bookkeeper at Ramsey Nursery, and his wife, Euphemia (Sinclair), built the house. In the early 1940s, it passed to their son, Harvey Sinclair Williams, an educator and baseball coach. In 1947, F. Lee Weigl moved his family here.
History
Wood Street Settlement at Shoal Creek
The northern half of Wood Street, near the west bank of Shoal Creek and extending to Henderson Street, was once home to a distinct enclave of African American and later Mexican American residents. As the frontier city's natural western boundary, Shoal Creek became a settling point for formerly enslaved people following the Civil War.
History
Wooldridge Square
Edwin Waller designed the Republic of Texas' new capital city of Austin in 1839. Waller's plan included a 196-block grid (14 by 14) bisected by a broad north-south thoroughfare, Congress Avenue, running up from the Colorado River to Capitol Square. He also designated four blocks as "public squares," with the south side of this square also dedicated for churches.
Military
Xavier Blanchard Debray
Came to Texas from France 1848. Spanish newspaper publisher. Joined Confederate Army as 1st Lieutenant Tom Green's Rifles 1861. Served aide-de-camp Texas Governor Francis R. Lubbock. Major 2nd Regiment Texas Infantry. Colonel 26th Texas Cavalry known as Debray's Regiment, used extensively for frontier scouting, reconnaissance, attacking and fighting delaying actions.
History
Z. N. Morrell
South Carolina native Z.N. Morrell moved to Tennessee at an early age and was ordained to the Baptist ministry at age 19. He came to Texas in December 1835, organized a church at Washington-on-the-Brazos in 1837 and was among the force fighting Comanche Indians at the Battle of Plum Creek in August 1840. For 35 years Morrell traveled over Texas, preaching and organizing churches.
History
Zachary Taylor Fulmore
Jurist, educator and author. Born in North Carolina, he came in 1870 to Texas, where he married Luella Robertson, Granddaughter of founder of Robertson Colony. Practiced law in Austin; also filled numerous commitments to State and City. Chairman, Texas Codifying Commission. One of organizers of Texas State School for Colored Deaf, Dumb, and Blind.
Architecture
Zeta Tau Alpha House
The Kappa Chapter of Zeta Tau Alpha women's fraternity was chartered at the University of Texas in 1906. After residing in houses in several locations near the University campus during its early years, the chapter purchased this Nueces Street lot in 1927 and made plans to build a new chapter house at the site.