History
A Half-Mile South of this marker Stood Town of Gomez
In 1903, owners of land here in center of then-unorganized Terry County platted this town, secured a post office named for Spanish-American patriot Maximo Gomez, drilled a public water well, and induced merchants and citizens to move here. This was the first inhabited townsite in the county. Its promoters hoped it would be the county seat, but that honor went to Brownfield (4.4 mi.
Architecture
A. M. Brownfield Home
A. M. Brownfield, for whose family this town was named, came to Terry County as a rancher in 1900. An early community leader, he organized the Brownfield State Bank in 1905. Built as a home for his family in 1928, this structure exhibits influences of the Spanish Colonial style of architecture.
History
Brooks Blacksmith Shop
The town of Meadow developed in the early 20th century, moving to meet the railroad in this location in 1917. In 1922, O.L. Puthuff built a blacksmith shop on this site. By that time, brothers Leslie and Herschel F. Brooks, Alabama natives, had moved to Meadow. World War I veterans, the brothers built and implemented water drilling equipment.
Industry & Science
Brownfield Municipal Power Plant
During the 1920s, when much of rural Texas was still without electricity, the town of Brownfield took a leap toward modernization. The town incorporated in 1920 and one year later held a vote on the issuance of bonds for the creation of a power plant.
History
City of Brownfield
County seat of Terry County. Founded in 1903 by developers W. G. Hardin and A. F. Small. Named for Brownfield family, prominent property owners and ranchers in the area. Measuring with only 100 feet of wire, Hardin and Small laid out a town on this site (then a pasture) and offered a lot to each voter in county.
Military
Colonel B. F. Terry and Terry's Texas Rangers
Native of Kentucky. Came to Texas 1831. Member Secession Convention. Commanded reinforcements of state troops sent to Rio Grande for the capture of Federal arms, property at Fort Brown. Went to Virginia hoping to be in first battle of war. Cited for valuable volunteer service in first Battle of Manassas.
History
Forrester Cemetery
Longtime residents recall the burial of a woman, probably Mrs. W. C. Lusk, on this site in 1922 or 1923. Other burials occurred here as well, in what was then an open field on J. A. Forrester's farm. Forrester and his wife Nealie sold a two-acre plot, which became known as Forrester Cemetery, to the Union Independent School District in 1925.
History
M. B. Sawyer Ranch House
Home of Monroe Brown Sawyer and wife Rebecca (Skeen); built 1902. One of earliest homes in Terry County, it predated town of Brownfield. Building material for original five rooms was hauled from Colorado City and Big Spring by wagon. House has been remodeled extensively. In 1881 and 1882 M. B. Sawyer was a Texas Ranger, Company C, Frontier Battalion.
History
Meadow Depot
Meadow was founded in 1904 on public land grazed by L-7 Ranch herds; village moved to this site on the Santa Fe Railway line in 1917. Soon settlers were arriving with livestock in one end of a boxcar, furniture in the other. A boxcar was used as a station. This depot was built in 1911 at White Deer (200 mi.
History
Route of Nolan Expedition
Army and civilian effort in 1877 to halt raiding of Chief "Old Black Horses" Comanches. In group were 60 Negro troops of Co. A, 10th U.S. Cavalry, and 22 buffalo hunters known as "The Forlorn Hope". Troops departed Fort Concho in early July, led by Capt. Nicholas Nolan. Eluded by Indians and finding water holes dry, on July 7 men were thirst-crazed.
History
Site of Joe T. and Laura Hamilton Home
In 1885, Joseph Thomas Hamilton (1856-1932) married Laura Letha Franklin (1867-1936) in Franklin County, Texas. Natives of southern U.S. states, the couple moved west with their first three children and settled here in 1902, before Terry County was organized. In 1907, they established a home near this site.
History
Site of Mail Relay Station
(500 yards west) By 1903, W.J. (1858-1930) and Mary E. (1863-1958) French had built a two-story home near this site, and it was a stop for freighters from the Texas & Pacific Railroad. Freighter rigs usually consisted of two wagons drawn by several horses, and the Frenches offered a campground, water, hot meals and a horse pen. Cattle drovers also rested here on their way through the area.
History
Terry County
Formed from Young and Bexar territories; created August 21, 1876, organized June 28, 1904. Named in honor of Colonel Benjamin Franklin Terry 1821-1861. Leader of the famous Terry's Texas Rangers. Brownfield, the county seat primarily a farming area.
History
The Oak Grove
Landmark for pioneers, freighters, these "Shin-Oaks" are unusual for growing spontaneously on treeless High Plains. (1969)
History
Tokio School
Early classes in the Tokio area were held in the ranch house of the J Cross Ranch near the turn of the century. In 1911, a school building was constructed near the center of town (about 300 feet N), and classes were relocated. Larger school buildings later were erected, once due to fire and twice due to changing space needs.