History
William G. Newby Memorial Building
Herman Frerichs, a cotton exporter from Bremen, Germany, built this house in 1910-1911. He and his family were on vacation in Germany at the outbreak of World War I in 1914 and were not allowed to return to the United States. The U.S. government seized the house under the Alien Property Act and held it until the end of the war. Frerichs sold the property to Mrs. William G. Newby in 1923.
History
William John Marsh
(June 24, 1880 - Feb. 1, 1971) Born near Liverpool, England, William John Marsh was an accomplished organist and musician when he came to Fort Worth in 1904 to enter the cotton business. In addition to his bookkeeping work, he served as organist and choirmaster for two area churches and one synagogue, and as choral director and Professor of Organ at Texas Christian University.
History
William Letchworth Hurst
(1833-1922) A native of Tennessee, William Letchworth "Uncle Billy" Hurst (1833-1922) served in the Confederate army during the Civil War. As a member of the Sixty-First Tennessee Infantry, he was involved in fighting near Vicksburg, Mississippi. Following the surrender of his unit to Gen. Ulysses S.
History
William M. Rice
William M. Rice first came to Texas in 1834 and settled in what is now Nacogdoches County, where he was involved in frontier defense and served as an Alcalde in the Mexican Government. He served in the Texas Revolution and was wounded in the Battle at San Jacinto. He and his wife, Mariah, later lived in Harris County, in Kansas, and in Dallas County, where he was a farmer and merchant.
History
William Madison McDonald
(June 22, 1866 - July 4, 1950) Born in Kaufman County, William "Gooseneck Bill" McDonald became active in politics in 1890. His ability to unite Black and White voters led to his prominence as a leader of the "Black and Tan" faction of the Republican Party.
Architecture
William Reeves House
Prominent businessman and philanthropist William Reeves built this home for himself and his wife, Mattie Hosea, in 1907-08. He served as President of Reeves Investments and was President and founder of the First Fort Worth Bank and Trust. The Reeves house exhibits characteristics of the Neo-Classical Revival and Queen Anne styles of architecture.
History
Wilson Cemetery
This pioneer cemetery dates to 1872, when Charles N. Wilson buried his wife and infant child here. Ophelia E. West Wilson (1853-1872) and her newborn daughter died as a result of complications during childbirth. Third grave in the cemetery, that of the Bowlin infant, is unmarked. James W. and Mattie C. Bowlin buried their son here, since a public graveyard was not readily accessible to their home.
Industry & Science
Winfield Garage
By 1919 Fort Worth had become a booming commercial center because of the oil and cattle markets. To accommodate this growth, the Winfield Garage was opened in April 1920 and operated a livery service with 25 touring cars and limousines. Designed by the architectural firm of Sanguinet & Staats to park 325 vehicles, it was called the largest and most modern in the state.
History
Witten Cemetery
This cemetery was established for the family of Samuel Cecil Holiday Witten (1819-91), who came to Texas in 1854. A successful landowner, he also served as a Justice of the Peace and Deputy County Surveyor. Witten first used this burial site in 1857 for the interment of his son, William.
Civic & Local
Woman's Club of Fort Worth
Women from eleven social and study groups, some formed before 1900, joined in 1923 to create the Woman's Club of Fort Worth. Miss Anna Shelton, who led the unification drive, served as the first President of the club. The charter members first met in a house donated by Etta O. (Mrs. William G.) Newby. As the club grew, it acquired other buildings.
History
Woody-Kutch Livestock Commission Company
In 1920, brothers-in-law Joseph Casner Woody (1880-1950) and Jefferson Davis Kutch, Jr. (1890-1990) were both active in the Fort Worth Stock Yards Company, a central buying location for regional cattle and sheep ranchers and hog farmers. They incorporated the Woody-Kutch Livestock Commission Company of North Fort Worth in 1923, with Woody as president and Kutch as vice president.