History
The Edna Gladney Home
The Rev. Issac Z.T. Morris and his wife began in 1887 to care for orphans and abandoned children in Fort Worth, keeping them in their family home. Their work led to chartering (1904) of the Texas Children's Home & Aid Society, with J.B. Baker, J.N. Brown, William Bryce, E.R. Conner, J.C. Conner, J.V. Dealey, Irby Dunklin, H.B.Francis, H.H. Halsell, J. Lee Johnson, E.H. McCuistion, Mr. Morris, G.
History
The Fort Worth Hotel
Situated in the northwest corner of the public square, the Fort Worth Hotel was the stage coach terminal for travelers arriving at and leaving Fort Worth. The original structure remained on this site for over 70 years. Over its lifetime, the hotel had several additions and was known under different names. Early settler and "Father of Fort Worth" Ephraim M.
History
The Grapevine Sun
Benjamin R. Wall (1876-1955) started the Grapevine Sun in 1895 at the age of nineteen. It was sold in 1897 to James E. Keeling (1847-1925), a native of England. His son Ed took over as editor in 1912 and published the paper with the help of his wife Grady. The weekly printed mostly encouraging news for its readers.
History
The Handley Power Plant and Lake Erie
The Northern Texas Traction Company built the original plant at this location to generate electrical power for the Fort Worth-Dallas Interurban. Lake Erie provided water for plant operations. The area developed as a park and became popular for local outings and social events. A two-story auditorium extended over the edge of the lake. When interurban traffic declined the park was closed.
History
The Hill
A roughly five-block area of Arlington known as "The Hill" was the only addition specifically set aside for the city's African American residents. In the 1890s, the community began developing on land that once belonged to Martin V. and Rebecca A. Thomas. Also during this time, several churches organized in the emerging community. The Church of God in Christ, Mt.
Architecture
The Sanctuary - Gustavaus Adolphus Church
The Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church of Gustavus Adolphus Synod was organized in 1905 to serve Swedish settlers in the City of Fort Worth. In 1912 the congregation, which later became known as Grace Lutheran, constructed this sanctuary and held worship services here until it moved to another site in 1957.
History
The Six Flags over Texas
Flags of six different countries have been raised over Texas. In 1519 the land was claimed for Spain, whose explorers came later in search of silver and gold, but found buffalo, Indians and mirages. They planted the red and gold banner of Spain, with its lions and castles, beside the cross of the missionaries intent on converting the Red Men.
History
The University of Texas at Arlington
Tracing its history to a series of private schools and military academies, The University of Texas at Arlington has grown with the community to become one of the area's most important public institutions. Arlington College, a private school for students in grades 1-10, opened here in 1895 in a two-story frame building.
Architecture
Thistle Hill, The Cattle Baron's Mansion
Designed by Sanguinet & Staats, this Georgian Revival structure was built in 1903 for A.B. Wharton (1878-1963) and his bride Electra (1882-1925), daughter of rancher W.T. Waggoner (1852-1934). Electra named the mansion "Thistle Hill". Cattlemen-investor Winfield Scott (1849-1911) bought the home in 1910 but died before he moved in. His wife Elizabeth (1861-1935) lived here until her death.
History
Thomas B. Saunders Family
A native of North Carolina, Thomas Bailey Saunders (1816-1902) migrated to Texas in 1850 and started a cattle ranch near Gonzales. After the Civil War he completed cattle drives to markets in New Orleans and Kansas before settling in Bexar County. Two of Saunders' twelve children were also involved in the cattle industry.
History
Thomas Easter Cemetery
Virginia native Thomas Easter, born about 1823, migrated to Texas and settled in Tarrant County by 1848. Easter patented a 640-acre tract of land in the northeast corner of the county. A portion of this land was used as a cemetery upon his death in 1862. His wife Charity Easter, born about 1820, was buried here in the early 1880s. Another known burial is that of early settler Hardin West (b.
Architecture
Thomas G. & Marjorie Shaw House
This Monterrey style house was built in 1927 by prominent Fort Worth contractor Bert B. Adams. One of the first houses built in the fashionable Park Hill Addition, it was purchased upon completion by Thomas and Marjorie Shaw. A highly successful independent oil producer, Shaw was associated with the Standard Oil Company and founded the T.G. Shaw Oil Corporation in 1924.
History
Thompson Public Cemetery
In 1870, Captain Henry J. Thompson, Chief Justice of Jack County, Texas Ranger and Fort Worth Mason, allowed his neighbor and Confederate veteran, William Terry Allen, to bury his first wife, Sarah Anne 'Fannie' Grant Allen (1849-1870), on his property. This established Thompson Public Cemetery, one-third mile from the Allen log cabin home. Six months later, their son George E.
History
Tim Cole
Timothy Brian Cole, born in Brenham in 1960, served in the U.S. Army and attended Texas Tech University in Lubbock. While there, Cole was accused of assaulting a fellow student. In September 1986, a jury convicted him and sentenced him to 25 years in prison.
History
Tomlin Cemetery
This cemetery was first used in the 1870s by the Wilkinsons, a pioneer family whose graves are marked by clusters of rock. Members of the Angel family are also buried here. The oldest dated gravestone is that of Virginia native Soloman Tomlin (b. 1825), a horseman and farmer who migrated with his family to Texas in the 1860s. He died on July 9, 1884.
History
Top O' Hill Terrace
Top O' Hill Terrace Beulah Adams Marshall bought land here along the Bankhead Highway in the early 1920s and opened a tea room, hosting teas and serving dinners to Dallas and Fort Worth patrons. In 1926, Fred and Mary Browning purchased the property and shortly began converting the facilities into a casino, adding an escape tunnel and secret room for hiding the gambling paraphernalia during raids.
History
Torian Log Cabin
This cabin of hand-hewn logs was built along a creek at the edge of the cross timbers near the pioneer community of Dove. It originally stood on a headright settled in 1845 by Francis Throop, a Peters colonist from Missouri. J.C.Wiley bought the property in 1868. He sold it in 1886 to John R. Torian (1836-1909), a farmer from Kentucky. Torian family members occupied the structure until the 1940s.
History
Van Zandt Cottage
Built in 1860s on stage road to Weatherford, and for generations a haven to travelers during Trinity River floods, this was the country home of Khleber Miller Van Zandt (1836-1930), who was known as "Mr. Fort Worth.
History
Village Creek
Archeological excavations along the course of this Trinity River tributary have unearthed evidence of several prehistoric villages. Artifacts from the area date back almost 9,000 years and represent a culture of food-gatherers and hunters. In the 1830s the Creek served as a sanctuary for several Indian tribes who made frequent raids on frontier settlements.
History
WBAP-TV - Channel 5, First Television Station in Texas
Founded by Amon G. Carter, noted publisher of the "Fort Worth Star-Telegram", the first progam--a public appearance, Sept. 27, 1948, by President Harry Truman--made Texas the sixteenth state in the nation to open a commercial station. Among other "Firsts" of WBAP-TV are the first live entertainment in Texas ("Flying X Ranchboys"), and first Texas colorcast via NBC-TV, 1954.
Architecture
Westbrook Estate
The Roy A. and Gladys Westbrook House is a 2 1/2 story Tudor Revival style home constructed in 1928. The house sits on a 1.5 acre blufftop site in the Park Hill neighborhood that overlooks the Fort Worth Zoo and Forest Park. The Park Hill neighborhood was designed by the noted Kansas City, Missouri, landscape architecture firm of Hare and Hare.
Architecture
Westover Manor
Built in 1929-30 as the flagship for development of Westover Hills, this Norman-Jacobethan revival mansion was selected as the Fort Worth Star-Telegram newspaper's "Home Beautiful". John E. Farrell (1891-1946), first Mayor of Westover Hills and co-discover of the vast east Texas oil field in 1931, lived here from 1930 until his death.
History
White's Chapel Cemetery
According to local legend, this cemetery began about 1851, when a child traveling through this area in a wagon train died and was buried here. The oldest documented burial, that of infant Amy A. Marr, took place in 1872. Many graves in the pioneer cemetery are unmarked, or are marked only with fieldstones. Native red sandstone is used for many of the markers and curbing.
History
Willburn Cemetery
Many of the individuals buried in this pioneer cemetery are descendants of Edward Willburn (1805-82) and his wife Nancy (Overton) (ca. 1811-87), immigrants from the upper south who settled here in the 1850s. The earliest marked grave, dated 1867, is for the infant child of William and Cassandra (Williams) Willburn. Also interred here: Rachael M.
History
William Alfred Sanderson
(Sept. 11, 1819 - May 28, 1904) A native of England, William Sanderson came to Texas in 1841. He obtained a Republic of Texas land grant and in 1847 settled in Tarrant County with his wife, Isabella Francis (Ayres). Sanderson soon established himself as a farmer and stock raiser.