History
First Chapel in Roma
Built by volunteer labor, on donated site, of contributed materials, about 1840. In the years before Oblate Fathers arrived (1853) and built church, some 500 confirmed persons had received sacraments in this chapel from secular priests who lived in Mier.
History
Fort Ringgold
Established October 26, 1848, at Davis Landing by Capt. J.H. La Motte, 1st U.S. Infantry, as Ringgold Barracks ' ' Named in honor of Brevet Major David Ringgold, 4th U.S. Artillery, who died of wounds received at Palo Alto, May 8, 1846 ' Troops were withdrawn March 3, 1859 ' Reoccupied December 29, 1859 ' Abandoned in 1861 ' Reoccupied by U.S. troops in June 1865 ' General Robert E.
History
Fort Ringgold, C.S.A.
Occupied early in Civil War by Texas Confederates under Col. John S. Ford. Vital in chain of posts used to defend the 2,000 mile Texas frontier, coastline and border always threatened by attacks from Indians, bandits and Federal troops. Cols.
History
Heinrich Portscheller
(1843 - 1915) German-born architect, builder and brickmaker Heinrich (Enrique) Portscheller arrived in Starr County by way of Mexico, shortly after the American Civil War. During the second half of the 19th century, Roma was the westernmost port on the Rio Grande, and both Roma and Rio Grande City were vibrant commercial centers where an experienced builder could find steady work.
History
Howard L. Bass Home
Built 1877 of lumber from sunken steamboat; mesquite block flooring; handmade brick. Home and business house of John Peter Kelsey, Starr County judge; large landowner who came from New York in 1848. Acquired by L. R. Brooks 1937; and by Howard L. Bass in 1954.
History
Immaculate Conception School
In 1884 the Rev. R. M. Olivier, O.M.I., asked the Sisters of the Incarnate Word in San Antonio to start a school in Rio Grande City. Three nuns were sent here and by 1885 were teaching 100 day students in a 3-room school. The Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament came to teach in 1900, followed by the Sisters of Mercy in 1920.
History
Jose De Escandon
In memory of the greatest colonizer of northern Mexico Jose de Escandon; who executed exploration from Tampico to the San Antonio River; laid out 23 towns, most of which still exist. Founded missions, opened roads, and established settlers. Conferred in recognition of his services to the crown of Spain, the title of El Conde de la Sierra Gorda.
Architecture
Manuel Guerra Home and Store
German architect Heinrich Portscheller (1840-1915) built this modified classic-revival structure for Manuel Guerra (1856-1915) in 1884. Early local example of sand-struck, hand-cast brick construction. Once used as residence and store, it remains in Guerra family.
History
Memorial Hospital
1853 building erected by E. R. Hord, State Representative and U.S. Congressman. Stone in 28" walls hauled by ox-teams; beams came by boat, landed at nearby dock. Military headquarters during the Civil War. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
History
Mission Mier a Visita
In the vicinity of this site was Mission Mier a Visita; established in 1750 as a part of Jose de Escandon's project to settle the region and civilize and Christianize the Indians.
History
Nuevo Santander Land Grants
One of the last northern provinces of New Spain, Nuevo Santander was established by José de Escand'n, and encompassed the present Mexican state of Tamaulipas and part of trans-Nueces Texas. Escand'n, known as the father of the lower Rio Grande Valley, organized an expedition and conquered the area, settling 20 towns and 18 missions between 1749 and 1755.
History
Old Rancho Davis
Home of Henry Clay Davis, a Kentuckian; came to Texas in 1939. Served with Taylor's army in 1846. Married into the Garza family, pioneer settlers and large landowners in the region. Around his home Rio Grande City grew up. Steamboats from Brownsville made the town a trading center. Ringgold Barracks was established nearby in 1848. Rio Grande City, the county seat.
Architecture
Old Ringgold Barracks Hospital
Architecture Moorish; wide surrounding porches ornamented with 15' arches. Built according to plans of surgeon general. First occupied Nov. 25, 1870, and used for 75 years until post was inactivated in 1944. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
History
Padre Gustav Gollbach, O.M.I.
(24 Septiembre de 1878 - 26 Diciembre de 1955) Nacido en Alemania, Gustav Gollbach fue ordenado sacerdote de la Orden de Oblatos de Maria Inmaculada en el veinti uno de Abril de 1906. Inmigro al Estado de Texas sirviendo iglesias en Del Rio, Castroville, Mercedes, San Benito, y Ballinger antes de llegar a Rio Grande City en 1924.
Architecture
Ramirez Hall
Commercial structure with family home upstairs. On site bought 1872 by Lino Ramirez. Built by architect Heinrich Portscheller (1840-1915), who personally laid brick in fine detail around windows and doors. Three generations of Ramirez family occupied hall.
History
Rio Grande City, C.S.A.
An official Confederate port of entry, customhouse and major terminus of the cotton road to Mexico. Cotton was the one great money crop of the South that could be sold to hungry European mills for cash for necessary arms, munitions, drugs that had to come from Europe.
History
Robert E. Lee House
Overlooked steamboat dock on Rio Grande, landscape of northern Mexico. Main rooms were walled with military maps of this locality. Used as field quarters by Col. Robert E. Lee, U.S. Army Commandant in Texas, 1860. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
History
Roma-San Pedro International Bridge
Erected by the Starr County Bridge Company, this single span steel suspension bridge was built over the Rio Grande in 1928. This is the only surviving suspension bridge constructed on the international border of the United States and Mexico. The 700-foot long steel bridge was designed by engineer George Cole of Houston, and built by Joseph Erastus Pate.
History
San Jose de la Mulada Ranch
Porcion 74, located in Starr County, was originally granted to Pedro Lugo in 1767 by the king of Spain. On December 26, 1787, Pedro Jose Perez purchased Porcion 74, which consisted of 6,740 acres, from Pedro Lugo. According to Camargo, Mexico, census records, Pedro Jose Perez married Manuela de la Garza on January 8, 1769.
History
Site of Cortina Battle
Dec. 27, 1859 Crushing defeat for partisan leader Juan Cortina who in late 1859 laid waste the lower Rio Grande Valley. Cortina's band of 450 were surprised here at daybreak by Maj. S. B. Heintzelman with U.S. Army troops, joined by Texas Rangers recruited by John S. ("Rip") Ford. Cortina fled to Mexico by horseback. Many of his men jumped into the Rio Grande.
History
Site of the Mission San Augustin de Laredo a Visita
Established in 1749 as a part of Jose de Escandon's project to settle the region and civilize and Christianize the Indians.
History
Starr County
Formed from Nueces County; created February 10, 1848; organized August 7, 1848. Named for Dr. James Harper Starr 1809-1890; pioneer Texas surgeon and Indian fighter, located at Nacogdoches in 1837; Secretary of the Treasury of the Republic of Texas 1839-1840; Assistant Postmaster General of the Confederacy. Rio Grande City, the county seat.
History
The Mier Expedition
A body of Texans intent on invading Mexico camped here on December 21, 1842. After being made prisoners at Salado, Mexico, they drew beans, white for life in prison, black for death. 17 members of the expedition were shot by order of General Santa Anna, March 25, 1843. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
The Rev. Gustav Gollbach, O.M.I.
(September 24, 1878-December 26, 1955) A native of Germany, Gustav Gollbach was ordained a priest in the Oblates of Mary Immaculate Order on April 21, 1906. He immigrated to Texas soon after his ordination, and served churches in Del Rio, Castroville, Mercedes, San Benito, and Ballinger before coming to Rio Grande City in 1924.