History
Barnard's Mill
Early Texas grist mill. Built like a fort -- with gun ports and walls 3 feet thick at bottom -- to withstand Indian attacks. Constructed in 1860 by Charles Barnard, who (with his brother, George) ran it until 1874. Previously the Barnards had successful trading houses in Waco village and elsewhere. For years, social events were held on the third floor. Cotton gin annex was erected in 1895.
History
Barnard's Trading Post No. 2
The Torrey brothers of Connecticut and their childhood friend George Barnard, with President Sam Houston as a partner, contracted to build a series of trading posts along the Brazos River in 1843. Barnard's friendly manner made the Indians his friends, paving the way for more peaceful frontier settlement.
History
Booker Home
This home was built in the early 1870s by William G. McCamant, who came to Texas about 1856. McCamant, who had worked for the creation of Somervell County, was appointed one of the county's first commissioners. The house was sold to Civil War veteran George L. Booker in 1896, during his 36-year tenure as county surveyor.
Architecture
Campbell Building
Built by T. B. Campbell, M.D., and wife Julia in 1894-95. Native limestone walls are 18" thick; pillars and window sills hand-hewn. Has housed general store. Other businesses, telephone exchange, post office. Upper floor used for meetings. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1971
History
Chalk Mountain Cemetery
The village of Chalk Mountain originated as a trading center before the Civil War. The earliest burial at Chalk Mountain Cemetery, the only burial ground to have served this community, is that of Abigal Davis (d. 1874), but the presence of unmarked burials indicates possible earlier use. Confederate veteran Hiram Berry Rogers (1840-1929) deeded the cemetery to the county in 1915.
Nature
Dinosaur Tracks
Formed 100,000,000 years ago, tracks of 3 kinds of dinosaurs are preserved in the limestone below Paluxy River. Types include Acrocanthosaurus (a meat-eater), Camptosaurus (plant-eater who left 3-toed bird-like tracks), and Pleurocoelus (a plant-eater who made huge 5-toed prints). For years following their discovery (about 1910), the tracks remained a novelty.
History
First National Bank
Hand hewn-native stone structure, built 1896 by A. P. Humphreys, as saloon. Lodge hall upstairs hosted dances, socials, stage shows. First National moved in, 1902, with such customers as Col. Charles Goodnight, trail-blazing cattleman. Scene of 1917 robbery and shooting of one bandit. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1964
History
Home of A. J. ("Jack") Hart
Home of A. J. ("Jack") Hart (1832-1896). Near Hart Crossing on Brazos River. Builder, a Confederate veteran, was an organizer (1875) of Somervell County, state legislator (1874-1880), county judge (1884-1888). Home built 1884. Of native stone, hand-hewn lumber. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
History
Parker-Davis House, 1890
Built by James T. Parker, a Confederate veteran who in a 42-day wagon trip moved from Tennessee to Texas in 1871. Taught, farmed, served as county commissioner. Native limestone, quarried nearby. 18" walls. Modernized 1964 by Wm. C. Davis, Jr. family. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964
History
Post Oak Community
Settled in the years following the Civil War, post Oak was an agricultural community for most of its history. Its name, derived from trees which are common in Somervell County, was solidified by 1896, when School District No. 2 took the name Post Oak. The lives of Post Oak residents revolved around a number of community institutions.
History
Snyder Sanitarium
Hundreds of natural springs and artesian wells made Glen Rose a health resort at the turn of the century. George Paul Snyder (1878-1942), a native of California, opened a sanitarium here in 1915. He built this two-story structure in 1919 to accommodate his growing clientele. Snyder kept a small zoo which became a landmark for townspeople as well as guests.
History
Somervell County
Named for Alexander Somervell (1796-1854), native of Maryland, veteran of the Battle of San Jacinto, secretary of War under Texas President David G. Burnet; commanded the 1842 Somervell Expedition seeking to end Mexican invasions of Texas Republic. Region was in old Brazos Land District. Home of Wacos and other Indians. First white settler was Charles Barnard, 1848.
Architecture
Somervell County Courthouse
Built 1893. Late Victorian style. Native limestone construction. County was organized in 1875 and named for General Alexander Somervell (1796-1854), Texas soldier, colonist, and statesman. Court was first held in an old store across road from Barnard's Mill. A log cabin (1 block w) was used later.
History
Squaw Creek Indian Fight
In early 1864, a raiding party of twenty native Americans left Indian territory (Oklahoma), entered Texas and, passing west of Comanche Peak, descended the high ground between Prairie and Squaw Creeks. There they surprised stockman Rigman Bryant who was out hunting. He was overtaken and lanced to death, and his wounded, faithful dog stayed with his body. The band next encountered W.C.