History
The Patterson Home
This structure began as a dog-trot cabin erected before 1854 by John Lollar and later owned by pioneer Doctor J. C. Moore. It was sold in 1871 to John M. Patterson (1817-94) and acquired in 1880 by his son, John P. Patterson (1847-1911). In 1882 the second floor was added and the exterior decorated with Victorian detailing. The house was then the center of a large farm.
History
Tomas G. Pollard, Sr.
(1895-1962) Tomas G. Pollard was an attorney and legislator whose work improved the lives of East Texans. While in college, Pollard married Edna Martin, with whom he reared three children, and was elected as a state representative (1919-21).
History
Troup City Cemetery
This community burial ground originally served the early settlers of Zavala, later known as Troup, a town established along a line of the International & Great Northern Railroad in 1873. Since no land was set aside for a public cemetery when the town was platted, efforts were made to secure a tract from the railroad.
History
Tyler Carnegie Library
Five Tyler women's clubs, the First Literary Club, Bachelor Maids, Quid Nunc, Sherwood Club and Athenian Club, collectively known as the Federated Women's Clubs of Tyler, worked for several years to form a series of libraries for this growing east Texas town. In 1902, the Tyler Free Library Board requested funding for a library building from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie.
History
Tyler Commercial College
In 1894, C.L. and Noah Adair opened the Adair Normal School to provide a university-level education, but the school closed in 1896. In 1899, a charter was filed with the secretary of state's office for Tyler Commercial College. The college used a vacant building, known as the Texas Fruit Palace, for classrooms. On April 1, 1904, Tyler Commercial College was incorporated with C.L.
Transport
Tyler Tap Railroad
To provide for shipment of locally-grown fruits, vegetables, and cotton to distant markets, a group of Tyler citizens proposed a railroad to connect the town with major rail lines nearby. The promoters included R. B. Hubbard, later governor of Texas; James P. Douglas, onetime state senator; W. S. Herndon, A. M. Ferguson, and J. H. Brown.
History
Union Chapel Cemetery and Church
The earliest marked grave in this cemetery, that of Olive Cosby Mayne, is dated August 1873, one month before early area settler Amplias Smith deeded 3 acres of land here for a Methodist Church and cemetery. The congregation soon built a sanctuary that served until a new structure was erected in 1949.
History
Union Grove Cemetery
On Sept. 25, 1887, local residents met in the Old Stone Schoolhouse to organize Union Grove Missionary Baptist Church with 12 charter members. In 1905, T.W. and Laura Marshall, and J.J. and Mattie Suber donated land to trustees Arthur O' Neal and L.C. Shuttlesworth for the church and cemetery. The oldest marked graves, for Jesse Richard Thompson and Mary Ann (Worley) Richardson, date to 1904.
History
Whitaker-McClendon House
Built about 1880 for attorney Harrison Moores Whitaker and his wife, Mattie, daughter of Texas Supreme Court Justice Micajah H. Bonner, this is one of the few remaining high Victorian residences in Tyler. The home was purchased by Mattie's sister, Annie, and her husband, Sidney Smith McClendon, in 1907. It remained in the McClendon family until 1979.
Architecture
Woman's Building
The Woman's Building Association, a branch of the Tyler Woman's Forum, was chartered in 1928 to direct the construction of this facility. When completed in 1932, it provided meeting rooms, an auditorium, and a library for the Woman's Forum and other civic organizations in Tyler.
History
Wood-Verner Cemetery
The oldest known graveyard in the Dixie area, Wood-Verner Cemetery is named for two families who owned land surrounding the site. The earliest marked grave is that of John Gordon, who died in 1850. Affiliated with the local Methodist Church for much of its history, it now is maintained by a volunteer association.