History
B. F. Morris and the Town of Joaquin
Alabama-born Benjamin Franklin Morris (1827-1900) came to Texas in 1838 and settled in the area that became the pioneer village of Sarat. A prosperous farmer and rancher, he gave right of way through 500 acres of his land to the Houston, East & West Texas Railroad in 1884.
History
Buena Vista Cemetery
This cemetery serves the Buena Vista community, which organized in 1848. Joseph Penn Burns, a native of South Carolina, donated land for the burial ground. The earliest marked grave dates to 1851, though it is believed there is at least one earlier burial, that of Burns' wife, Mary Elizabeth (Richards) (d. 1843).
History
C. S. A. Texas Muster
Held on this spot April 4, 1964, to honor Texans who made up the greater part of forces fighting in the Civil War Red River Campaign of 1864-1865, that prevented a Federal invasion of Texas. Descendants answering to roll call for soldiers of 100 years ago included 37 sons and daughters of those fighters.
History
Fairview Cemetery
Established in 1901, Fairview Cemetery was added as the City of Center's second oldest cemetery to augment burial plots for the first cemetery, the First United Methodist Church Cemetery (est. 1866). Fairview Cemetery Association was formed in 1901 with the following members: B.F. Bridges, A.R. Chandler, W.B. Downer, O.L. McKnight, John C. Rogers, John Sanders, and J.F. Willis.
History
First County Seat of Shelby County
Shelbyville, once known as Nashville, was the first county seat of government of the District of Tenaha, or Shelby County. The first courthouse stood on this site. The settlement began before 1825. It became headquarters for the "Regulator-Moderator War"; troops were raised here to fight the Indians; for the Texas army; and Confederate forces were organized here.
History
George Washington Green
(December 22, 1858 - December 14, 1937) Georgia native George Washington Green grew up in Tennessee and in 1878 set out for Texas. He married Tempie Ann Fowler in Logansport, Louisiana, that year, and they settled in this part of Texas. Green worked first as a sharecropper, growing cotton and corn, before purchasing his first parcel of land in 1883.
History
Joaquin Cemetery
BENJAMIN FRANKLIN MORRIS PROVIDED LAND FOR RAILROAD RIGHT-OF-WAY AND A 100-ACRE TOWNSHIP SITE FOR JOAQUIN IN THE 1880s. IN 1890, MORRIS DONATED ONE ACRE AT THIS SITE TO ESTABLISH JOAQUIN MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH. ON OCTOBER 24, 1894, WHEN ALLIE M.
History
John Joseph Emmett Gibson
(November 4, 1849 - September 14, 1931) John Joseph Emmett (J. J. E.) Gibson was born in Dublin, Ireland. Because of an illness, he was left behind with an aunt when his family immigrated to the United States about 1851. Gibson reportedly studied architecture in Dublin, and finally joined his family in St. Louis when he was about sixteen.
History
Moses Fisk Roberts
(1803-1889) Highly regarded public servant and farmer of Shelby County. His ever-present pack of fox hounds earned him nickname "Dog" Roberts. Born in Tennessee, he moved to Texas in 1836. Lost right eye as soldier in Texas revolution. Was later officer in Texas militia. Served in Congress of Republic (1839-42) and State Legislature (1853-54; 1857-58).
History
Patroon Cemetery
Settlers began moving to the Patroon area by the 1830s. Tennessee natives William and Elviry Nethery brought their family to this area from Alabama in the early 1840s. Their son A.M. established this cemetery on his own property when he and his wife, M.H. "Leany," buried their first son, John (1858-1861). While A.M.
History
Ramah Cemetery
The Ramah community dates to the early 1870s, when William Tell Pou and his wife Mollie Lucy (Grace) Pou first homesteaded here. They helped found Ramah Baptist Church, established in 1874 and named for the biblical city of Ramah, meaning high place. The log church building also served as a schoolhouse, and became the center of a community with a store and cotton gin.
History
Sardis School
Sardis School Students in this area attended the Hughes School (2.1 mi. Ene) until 1917. That year, the W.R. Pickering Lumber Co. donated four acres to trustees C.L. Fowler, R.C. Hughes and R.C. Squyres for Sardis School No. 37. A schoolhouse was completed at this site by the end of the summer. The white frame structure included four rooms and housed grades 1-9.
History
Shady Grove Cemetery
Shady Grove Cemetery Shady Grove Cemetery began with the interment of Anna Sparks Ramsey in September 1878, 13 months before a two-acre tract of land here was deeded as a cemetery. Although Ramsey's husband, George Frank Washington Ramsey, had been buried in nearby Bobo, roads were impassable at the time of her death, so she was buried here. S.C. Mathis and James C.
History
Shelby County
Part of the neutral ground, 1803'1819. Settled by Anglo-Americans, 1824'1836. In 1833 a district of the Municipality of Nacogdoches, known as Tenehaw. In 1835 became municipality of Tenehaw with Nashville as the seat of government. Name changed to Shelby in 1836 in honor of Isaac Shelby, 1750'1826, a gallant officer in the Continental Army Revolutionary War. Created a county March 17, 1836.
History
Shelby County
In this county of Shelby, once a part of the Neutral Ground, an unorganized feud known as the Regular-Moderator War was waged between 1841 and 1844. After heavy sacrifice of life and property, General James Smith, commanding troops of the Republic of Texas, under orders from President Sam Houston, ended the uprising and restored order without firing a gun.
Architecture
Shelby County Courthouse
Built to resemble Irish castle (1883-1885) by architect J. J. E. Gibson, from Ireland. Style is, in part, "Romanesque revival." In 1866 county records were held at this site after being secretly taken from Shelbyville by R. L. Parker and Sam Weaver following a contested election naming Center as county seat. The noted land dispute case of heirs of Sydney O.
History
Sholar Cemetery
Several families from Henry County, Alabama, settled in this area in 1846, including the John and Nancy (Kirkland) Scott family. Their son William sold his brother-in-law David Sholar 111 acres here in 1850. This site became a burial ground in the summer of 1854 with the deaths of six cousins, ages one to ten, likely from the same illness.
History
Site of the Last Battle
August 14, 1844, between Regulators and Moderators, warring factions in Shelby County 1841-1844, who caused heavy sacrifice of life and property before General James Smith with Texas troops restored order. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Site of Town of Spivey, 1870s-1900
Founded by Civil War veteran James Jackson Spivey; brothers Elisha P. and George W. Spivey lived nearby. In early days mail arrived by wagon. Houston East & West Texas Railroad crossed the founder's land, building Spivey Station, 1886. During late 1880s Hicks Lumber Mill and workers' houses were erected. U. S. Post Office was established in 1891, with Isaac W. Spivey, postmaster.
History
Site of Truitt Community
Also known as Willow Grove, this early Texas community was named for its founder, pioneer settler James Truitt (1795-1870). Truitt was a Republic of Texas congressman, a state legislator and military company leader in the Regulator-Moderator War (1839-1844). He and his eldest son, Alfred M.
History
The Bickham House
On site of J. M. Crawford home, built 1850, razed by fire, 1885. Erected by Crawford's stepson, Frederick Lee Bickham (1866-1907), prominent landowner and rancher, in 1885-88. Here he and his wife, Nevada Levonia Mhoon, brought up their children and Bickham's stepsisters and stepbrothers. Timber (cedar, cypress, and heart pine) for house was cut on the property. In 1972, N. O.
History
The First Battle
Between bands of Regulators and Moderators led by Ephraim Daggett and Ned Merchant, which occurred in this vicinity, led to an unorganized war, 1841-1844, by Regulators, under the leadership of Watt Norman, and Moderators, led by John M. Bradley - After heavy sacrifice of life and property, General James Smith with Texas forces restored order in August, 1844 without firing a gun.
History
Timpson
In 1884, Houston businessman Paul Bremond (1810-1885), and other investors began planning for a new railroad to connect Houston and Shreveport, Louisiana. Surveys soon began along the proposed route, and in 1885 the town of Timpson was founded, named for Paul C. Timpson, the railroad official who laid out the town.
History
Truitt Cemetery
James Truitt (Oct. 23, 1795 - June 11, 1870) and his wife Sarah Hall Truitt (July 29, 1796 - July 3, 1848) left North Carolina for Texas in 1838, settling near this site in 1840. Truitt was a congressman in the Republic of Texas, 1843-45; a representative, 1846-48, and four terms a senator in Texas State Legislature. The Truitts had five sons and five daughters.