History
Campsite of the Marcy Expedition
At a grove of mesquite and wild chinaberry trees by a creek near here, Capt. R. B. Marcy's expedition camped Oct. 7, 1849, while blazing the famous Marcy Trail. They saw nothing deadlier than quail and wild turkeys in the area, but the next day, tragedy struck. Lt. Montgomery Pike Harrison (1826-1849)--grandson of President Wm.
Nature
Channel of Deep Creek
Once a spring-fed tributary of the Colorado River; heads and ends within Scurry County. In 1870s it supplied buffalo hunters living in hide-covered half dugouts. "Pete" Snyder's trading post, which eventually grew into the county-seat town of Snyder, was located on bank. Although state surveyors had officially named it Culvers Creek, famous buffalo hunters John and J.
History
City of Snyder
Originally established as a trading post on Deep Creek for buffalo hunters and called "Hide Town," because of many hide tents and dugouts, the city of Snyder takes it name from W. H. (Pete) Snyder, a Dutch trader who established a store here in 1878. A major event in the town's growth came in 1908 when the Roscoe, Snyder & Pacific Railroad brought the "Iron Horse" to Snyder.
Military
Company G
Composed of National Guardsmen from Scurry County, Company G originally organized and fought in France during World War I. Reorganized in 1924 and mobilized in 1940, Company G was part of the 142nd Infantry of the celebrated 36th Division during World War II. The unit fought in some of the fiercest battles on the European front including Salerno and Cassino.
Military
County Named for Texas Confederate William R. Scurry 1821-1864
Member Secession Convention. As Lt. Colonel 4th Texas Cavalry Regiment, ably commanded forces at Val Verde and Glorieta Canyon battles in Arizona-New Mexico Campaign 1861-62. Promoted Brigadier General. Commanded immediate land attack recapture of Galveston 1863. In Red River Campaign to prevent Texas invasion, led brigade Battles of Mansfield, Pleasant Hill, La. and Jenkins Ferry, Ark.
History
County's First Law Men
First sheriff elected when the county was organized, 1884, was W. W. "Uncle Billy" Nelson. He authorized the first "Calaboose" (jail)--a frame structure only 8x10x8 feet. Uncle Billy resigned; however, after 6 months; cowboys were an unruly lot. T. J. Faught was next appointed sheriff, 1885.
History
Dermott
Named for S. P. McDermott, who had crossroads store and was an early postmaster. Began as a community called Dark, 1-1/2 miles northeast. (School in area was named Bookout). Town moved 1909 to the Roscoe, Snyder & Pacific Railroad. It had a hotel and a number of businesses. The Santa Fe was built in 1911, and the competing railroads made this a busy cattle shipping center, with full loading pens.
Architecture
Dodson House
Built 1883 by a Confederate veteran and pioneer doctor, J. C. Cornelius. Materials came by mule train from railroad at Colorado City. Handmade cabinets, front entrance hall, the 2 fireplaces remain as originally built. Since 1894 owned by family of a former Tennessee schoolteacher, A. C. Dodson. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1965
History
Dunn
Started as change station for teams hauling goods north after T. & P. Railway reached Colorado City in 1881. Freighters camped here beside creek. A blacksmith shop and store were started to supply them. In time a town developed. Mail was dropped at home of Mr. and Mrs. A. T. Dunn. Post office, granted 1890, was given their name; Mr. Dunn was first postmaster. In 1890, the first school was built.
Architecture
E. W. Clark House, 1908
Rancher's town home. Social center. Built to endure, with solid brass hardware, beveled glass doors, embossed leather wainscoting. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1964.
Architecture
F. J. Grayum Home
In 1909 early day druggist F. J. Grayum built this classical revival style home with Ionic-pillared porches and balconies on the front and east side. The double masonry walls and two-inch thick floors show quality workmanship with solid brass hardware, eleven-foot ceilings, a coal boiler for heating, and a large attic. Rancher L. E. Long lived here for a time and D. P.
History
First Baptist Church of Snyder
Founded in May, 1883, one year before Scurry County was organized, this pioneer institution helped pave the way for modern Baptist worship in the area. It was originally named Bledsoe Baptist Church, in honor of John S. Bledsoe, one of the founders. First pastor, The Rev. J. G. Garrard, served 1883-1890. Worship was then held in the school building on alternate Sundays.
History
First Presbyterian Church
Organized June 13, 1892, as the First Cumberland Presbyterian Church, by The Rev. W. W. Werner, with seven charter members. In 1906 original church body joined the Abilene Presbytery, Presbyterian Church, U.S.A. Congregation moved from its first location (Ave. Q and 26th) in 1924. Used basement at Avenue R and 28th Street for worship until sanctuary was completed in 1929.
Architecture
First State Bank Building
Erected 1907-08 on site where trail of U.S. Cavalry Gen. Ranald MacKenzie ran parallel to Deep Creek. Built for First State Bank & Trust Co., early day cattlemen and ranchers bank; closed during 1931 Depression year. Has since housed many firms including local newspaper (when it was "Times Building"). Now used as office building.
History
Fluvanna
Founded 1907 by a realty firm. Named by townsite surveyor, for his native county in Virginia. When Roscoe, Snyder & Pacific Railroad reached this point in Sept. 1909, a 3-day picnic was held. Buildings at Light, Texas, a mile east, were moved here. Town developed into important cattle shipping point, as long market drives were abandoned.
History
Fluvanna Mercantile Company
Pioneer store noted for its continuous career on original site. Founded in 1915 by D. A. Jones and John A. Stavely, with associated shareholders. Stock--freighted in by Roscoe, Snyder & Pacific Railroad--was typical "general merchandise": clothing, materials, groceries, hardware, millinery, patent medicines, seeds, shoes. Flour and stock salt were sold by carloads.
History
Former Townsite of Wheat
Small farming community that grew up here in the late 1880s. Received its name because of a bumper wheat crop the year the U. S. Post Office opened --1890. Two postmasters served here: Minerva Thomas and G. W. McCall. A school, which doubled as a church, was built a half mile west on southeast corner of adjoining section of land.
History
Greene Springs and Site of Archeological Discoveries
Located at a place occupied by man for centuries, these springs compose the first, live (running) water that flows into the South Fork of the Clear Fork of the Brazos River. The waters, which collect in large potholes in a sandstone formation, have produced a constant flow since first discovered by settlers. For many centuries before, they were also visited by Indians.
History
Hermleigh
Townsite surveyed 1907 by H. W. Harlin and R. C. Herm, on Roscoe, Snyder & Pacific Railroad. Post office, store and church moved here from Wheat, community to the northeast. In 1907 new town--a trade center for livestock farmers--had 2 banks, a lumber yard, a newspaper; 2-story brick school was built 1909. Santa Fe Railroad came through in 1911.
History
Home County of Famous Frontiersman J. Wright Mooar
J. Wright Mooar was a champion hunter of buffalo, largest game animal in North America. A native of Vermont. He came west at age 19 and in 1870 began hunting to supply hides for market. In partnership with his brother, John W. Mooar, he established the first buffalo hunting camp in the Texas Panhandle in 1873. On October 7, 1876, at his first camp in Scurry County (2.
History
Home County of Famous Frontiersman J. Wright Mooar
(Aug. 10, 1851-May 1, 1940) Champion hunter of buffalo--largest game animal in North America. Born in Vermont; came west at 19. Began hunting in 1870 to supply hides for market. In partnership with his brother, John W. Mooar, in 1873 established first buffalo hunting camp in the Texas Panhandle. On Oct.
History
Home County of Famous Frontiersman J. Wright Mooar
J. Wright Mooar and his brother John W. Mooar established the first buffalo hunting camp in the Texas Panhandle in 1873. Wright killed a rare albino buffalo (one of two known killed in Texas) in Scurry county on October 7, 1876. Mooar shot about 22,000 buffalo, a record probably unsurpassed.
History
Ira
Named for Ira Green, who had a crossroads store near this site. First homes and school were half-dugouts (cellars with windows set above ground level). Post office established 1896. On opening of block 97 to settlers, 1899, area became active farm and ranch community. Oil production since 1923. (1966)
Industry & Science
J. J. Moore No. 1 Oil Well
(1.4 miles south) First producing oil well in Scurry County; opened a major West Texas petroleum area. Drilled February to October 1923 by E. I. (Tommy) Thompson, W. W. Lechner and E. E. (Buddy) Fogelson of Loutex Corp., W. A. Reiter located the well. Leon English was field geologist. Drillers were Jesse Thomas, Begossa Murphy, Tom Mann, Charlie Dodson, Sim Taylor. The tool dresser, James O.
Architecture
Johnson House, 1910
Built by W. A. Johnson, with cement blocks made on premises of his own sand and gravel. Interior oak woodwork by English carpenter. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1964