History
American Legion Wiley B. Murray Post No. 27
Upon returning home from service in World War I, San Saba veterans felt a need to organize socially. The only existing organization of veterans was the William P. Rogers Camp No. 322, United Confederate Veterans (UCV). The UCV camp welcomed the new veterans and assisted them in organizing into the Wiley B. Murray Post No. 27 of the American Legion. President of City National Bank T.A.
History
Barnett-Hamrick Settlement, 1855-1895
John W. Barnett and family with sons-in-law, Burrell L. and Tom P. L. Hamrick settled large tract of land here. Founded community of Simpson Creek. Were first in area to farm as well to irrigate crops. Were active in local commerce. Helped organize county. First camp meeting and one of first schools were held here.
History
Bowser Community
About 1858 the Abel Bowser family settled at a large bend in the Colorado River about 3 miles north of this site. The developing village, school and cemetery became known as Bowser Bend and by the late 1880s included a cotton gin and store. Due to river floods, Paul Varga donated land at this site for a chapel and cemetery in 1890. In the early 1900s J. T.
Military
Camp McMillan, C.S.A._Texas Civil War Frontier Defense
Located 18 mi. West, 6 mi. North, this outpost guarded the Texas frontier during Civil War. One of a chain of outposts a day's horseback ride apart, from the Red River to the Rio Grande manned by the Texas Frontier Regiment. Regular patrols kept Indians in check and rounded up draft evaders. Food, clothing, horses and arms were always needed.
History
Chappel Cemetery
Chappel, established in the 1850s, is one of San Saba County's earliest settlements. The land for this cemetery is part of 16-1/2 acres donated by Joab B. Harrell (1814-1893) that he formally deeded in 1886 to the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Harrell, the county's first Chief Justice, had buried his own son at this site some fifteen years earlier. The M.E.
Industry & Science
Edmond E. Risien, Pecan Pioneer
(1853-1940) Cited by 42nd Texas Legislature and the public as a world leader in pecan industry. Spent lifetime upbreeding native San Saba pecans. Born in Dover, England. Came here in 1870s. Installed first San Saba water works. Some pecan varieties he originated were Onliwon, San Saba Improved and Western Schley. Mrs. E. E. Risien, born in Plymouth, England, 1853, died in San Saba 1953.
History
Estep-Burleson Building
Elijah Estep (1828-1901), San Saba County's second tax assessor-collector, was born in Sangamon County, Illinois. He married Abigail Montgomery (1826-1868), and the couple was living in the community of Cherokee when San Saba County was founded. When Abigail died, Elijah was left to care for 11 children, ages one to 19.
Architecture
First Methodist Church
Organized 1856 in area so wild that church gave missionary a $50 revolver, $125 horse. On this site, first frame church, 1882. Present building, 1914-1919. San Saba marble. Said to be only all-marble Methodist church in U.S.
Architecture
First State Bank Building
In 1910, Richland Springs businessman John Burleson contracted with Enoch Archer to construct this building to house his banking business. In addition to the bank, the building housed other businesses, including retail shops and medical offices. Constructed of locally quarried sandstone, it features stained glass windows and two gray granite columns flanking the entrance.
History
First State Bank in Richland Springs
John M. Burleson (1870-1933) founded the Burleson Bank in 1910 to expand his business interests and provide financial services to the community of Richland Springs. In 1913 Burleson reorganized his institution as the First State Bank; in 1919, W. H. Gibbons became the new director when Burleson left the bank. During Gibbons' tenure, in 1928, the bank was robbed at gunpoint.
History
Harkeyville
A site once famous for its horses and racetrack. Riley Harkey (1832-1920) and Israel Harkey (1835-1914) were Indian scouts in Texas in 1850-53. In 1855 they led their parents, Mathias and Catherine Harkey, to move here from Arkansas with other adult sons, daughters, in-laws and grandchildren. The families ranched, and Mathias Harkey ran a country store for many years.
History
Harris Cemetery
This burial ground was apparently already in use in 1874 when A.J. and Ellen Crawford deeded it to trustees D.A. harris, A.J. Wells, James Wayland, F. Brookerson and W.L. Adams as part of a five-acre site to be used for a school and place of worship. The earliest dated grave is that of N.M. Baker (1819-1877). The 1868 stone of James L. Crawford, A.J.
History
Indian Signaling Grounds
Heights used from pre-settlement days to 1870s by Comanches and others to send messages over long distances. Smoke once rose from here (Five Mill Hill); Chapel Hill, 2 mi. south; and old community of Sloan in west San Saba County. Tribes wintered at main village near Sloan; burial ground is on Chapel Hill.
History
John Duncan's Fort
A private, or settler's fort, built 1858. Cabins of 4 families (30 people) formed a stockade for defense against Indians. Daily a hunting party would go out for meat; other men stood guard. Residents went home to farm in spring, but through 1865 "forted up" each fall.
History
John H. "Shorty" Brown Cemetery
After living for a time in Arkansas, John H. "Shorty" Brown (1817-1896), his wife Jane Ann, and some of their children came here. Brown helped found San Saba in 1854 and became a civic leader. Although San Saba County provided a graveyard, Brown and his wife deeded this plot near their home for a family burial ground.
History
Mill Pond House
Structure of great value to community in early days. Erected about 1875 by John H. ("Shorty") Brown (1817-96), one of founders of San Saba, in 1850s. This building housed machinery of gristmill (which ground corn meal, for bread) and a cotton gin. It was run by water power supplied by San Saba Springs. After mill was in disuse, city water system machinery was housed here.
History
On This Site a Treaty of Peace
On this site a treaty of peace was agreed upon, March 1-2, 1847, between twenty Comanche chiefs and the German colonists represented by Otfried Hans, Freiherr von Meusebach (1812-1897), who became a citizen of Texas under the name of John O. Meusebach * * This treaty was never broken. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
Architecture
Regency Suspension Bridge
After a series of tragic floods washed out earlier Colorado River crossings here, San Saba and Mills Counties jointly built this bridge, named for the Mills County community of Regency. The Austin Bridge Company of Dallas completed construction in October 1939.
History
San Saba County
Formed from Bexar County; created February 1, 1856; organized May 3, 1856. The river traversing the region, the mission erected near by in 1757, and later the county and county seat were given the name of an early saint, whose name in Spanish is Saba.
Architecture
San Saba County Courthouse
In 1856, the Texas Legislature created and organized San Saba County. A two-story frame courthouse (1857-1878) and later a stone courthouse (1878-1910) on this site served the county and provided space for public gatherings. In 1910, the City of San Saba incorporated, and county residents, spurred by news of a railroad connection, authorized a new courthouse.
Architecture
San Saba County Jail
County's oldest existing public building. Erected in 1884, the structure cost $13,000 and lot $300. Jail was built of blue limestone in Italianate Texas style. A 12-foot-high board fence (built after an 1886 jail break) has been replaced. Jailer lived on first floor.
History
San Saba Lodge No. 225, A. F. & A. M.
The history of San Saba is closely tied with the story of Freemasonry in the area, as many of those who helped organize San Saba County were Masons. Local freemasons were already gathering as a group when the first county courthouse was erected in 1857 and the commissioners court allowed the Masons to meet in the new building.
History
San Saba Lodge No. 612, A.F. & A.M.
San Saba Masonic Lodge No. 612 arose out of a long history of Freemasonry in San Saba County. This lodge, chartered on December 11, 1885, was the successor to Lodge No. 225 that was disbanded in 1882 as a result of financial troubles and a perceived association with the San Saba Mob. The new lodge included 21 new members and distanced itself from associations to the infamous mob.
History
Sion Record Bostick
About 276 yards to the west is grave of Sion Record Bostick (December 7, 1819 - October 15, 1902) A member of the party of young Texans who captured the escaping Mexican General Santa Anna after Battle of San Jacinto, during the Texas War for Independence. Migrated from Alabama in 1828.
History
Site of Harmony Ridge Community
Founded in 1870s. Among first settlers were the families of Andrew, Mark, and Polk Oliver; Stephen M. Lewis; William Faver; Matt Senterfitt; Asa J. Howard. The only building (a two-story frame structure housing Cumberland Presbyterian Church and local school) was built by citizens in 1877. Andrew and Mark Oliver gave land for building and cemetery.