History
Coldspring Methodist Church
Built to north, on land given, 1848, by Mr. and Mrs. F. H. Rankin, from an Austin Colony grant. Moved 1917 to new site. Bell over 100 years old. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964
History
General James Davis
Born Va., July 17, 1790. As U.S. Army officer in War of 1812, was in Battle of New Orleans. Married Anne Eliza Hill, of N.C. Had 7 children. Came to Texas in 1834. Served Republic of Texas on staff of Gen. Sam Houston, 1836; adjutant-general, 1842; member of Congress, 1843-1844; member of Constitutional Convention, 1845.
History
George Tyler Wood
Born March 12, 1795, at Cuthbert, Randolph County Georgia. Died September 3, 1858. Was a member of the Congress of the Republic of Texas in 1841-2, and was Governor of the State of Texas in 1847-9. Here sleeps a just man.
History
Governor George Tyler Wood
(1795-1858) Born in Georgia and married there in 1837 to Martha Evans Gindrat (1809-63), a widow with 3 children, George T. Wood came to Texas with his family in 1839 and settled along the Trinity River near Point Blank. Wood studied law and was elected to the 6th Republic of Texas Congress, 1841-42, and the Annexation Convention of 1845.
History
Isaac Jones
(October 4, 1793 - May 27, 1878) Individualistic pioneer of Texas. Born in Mississippi; moved here 1834, receiving Mexican land grant on west bank of Trinity River. Served 3 months in army of Texas Republic 1836-38. Operated ferry at Jones Bluff 1858, 1861. Wife: Elizabeth (Martin).
History
J. M. Hansbro's Law Office
Built 1870. First structure moved to new Coldsprings after fire destroyed first courthouse, 1915. A new town site was selected. The San Jacinto County Abstract Co. was housed in this building many years. County's first telephone was installed here. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967
History
Laurel Hill Cemetery
Site given 1848. Named for laurel trees that grew around baptismal pool of Laurel Hill Baptist Church. Site was given by Gen. James B. Davis (1790-1859), adjutant-general of Republic of Texas army in 1842. Cemetery was opened for use in 1840s. Oldest gravestone is that of Frances California Snow, who died in 1854 at age two.
History
Mount Moriah Lodge No. 37, A. F. & A. M.
Chartered by the Grand Lodge of Texas on January 15, 1848, this lodge first convened in the Mount Pleasant settlement. Early meetings were held at Fireman's Hill in a schoolhouse owned by Henry Gillette. That building was moved to Coldspring in 1853. Early members of the lodge included many Republic of Texas pioneers, as well as distinguished public officials of Polk and San Jacinto counties.
History
Mount Zion Cemetery
John R. Johnson, whose 1849 land grant included this property, gave 4.25 acres in 1850 to Mount Zion Methodist Church. Churchyard burials may have begun earlier, but oldest gravestone is dated 1870. The church building was dismantled in 1928 after it fell into ruin.
History
Near Burial Place of Governor George Tyler Wood
(1795-1858) Born in Georgia, where he fought in Indian wars, was a merchant, and member of State Legislature. In 1839, he moved with family to Texas, settling in this area. He was a member of 6th Congress of the Republic of Texas, 1841-1842; a delegate to the 1845 Annexation Convention; a member of first Senate of the state, 1846-1847.
History
Near Site of Coushatta Indian Village
Inhabited from about 1835 to 1900 by members of the Coushatta tribe. Most of the Indians had small farms, but also worked for wages after crops were harvested. Burial pits excavated by archeologists (1968) revealed skeletal remains, ironstone dishes, glass beads (obtained in trade with Anglos), ornaments made from silver coins.
History
Oakwood Cemetery
Located within the original Robert Rankin league of land, Oakwood Cemetery traces its history to the mid-19th century. Although there may be older unmarked graves, the earliest documented burial in the graveyard is that of John B. Mitchell, who died in 1853. Those interred here include pioneers and early settlers of San Jacinto County, children, elected officials, civic leaders, and veterans.
History
Old San Jacinto County Jail
Approved by the commissioners court in 1886 and completed the following year, this structure served as the San Jacinto County Jail until 1980. Interior space included second floor cells and jailer's living quarters on the ground floor. Victorian detailing is reflected in the decorative brickwork and arched windows.
History
Old Waverly
Early center of culture for this part of Texas. Settled 1835-1850's, mainly by people from Alabama. Community was named for the Waverley novels of Sir Walter Scott, then very popular. To provide education equal to any, Waverly Institute was founded in 1854, with separate departments for boys and girls. Plantation system prevailed until 1860's.
History
San Jacinto County
Eighteenth century Spanish explorers gave to the hyacinth-choked stream the name of Saint Hyacinth. Anglo-Americans settled here after 1820. Formed from portions of Polk, Montgomery,, Liberty and Walker counties. Created January 5, 1869; recreated August 13, 1870; organized December 1, 1870. County seat, Cold Springs, 1870; later, Coldspring.
History
San Jacinto County Jail
Noted for rare but never used hangman's trap. Second jail for San Jacinto County which was organized 1871, this structure was built in 1887 by L. T. Noyes of Houston. Later, the Southern Structural Steel Company of San Antonio installed cells and the unusual execution device. That firm also built annex in 1911. In 1915 San Jacinto County's frame courthouse burned.
Architecture
Shepherd Methodist Church
Organized in 1882 in town founded by railroad backers and named for landowner-banker B. A. Shepherd. site for church was given by Paul Bremond, rail magnate. Greek revival building (first church erected in Shepherd) was shared in early years with other denominations. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1970
History
Site of Raven Hill
Plantation home of General Sam Houston who was called "The Raven" by the Cherokee Indians. Built in 1844; sold before 1860. Erected by the State of Texas 1936.
History
Site of the Home of George Thomas Wood
Colonel of a regiment in the Mexican War * Senator in the Congress of the Republic * Governor of Texas, 1847-1849 * Born in Georgia March 12, 1795 * Died in Texas September 5, 1858 Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
The Big Thicket
In early Texas, a paradise for settlers liking solitude. During the Civil War, became notorious as hunt of army deserters or men avoiding conscript officers and living off the country. The thicket was so hard to penetrate that it was the despair of commanding officers.
Architecture
The Robert Tod Robinson House
Adjacent to property of Governor George T. Wood, and on high ground near juncture of waterways and land trails important in early Texas, this was originally a log house with wide front verandas on the two floors. It was built in 1857 by Point Blank planter Robert Tod Robinson (1826-1878), copying style from his native state of Alabama.
History
Town of Shepherd
Originated in vicinity of Old Drew's Landing, a Trinity River port for settlers bringing in goods and shipping cotton, tobacco, and other products to markets. An early nearby community was Big Creek. Into these pioneer settlements came Houston East & West Texas Railroad investors, including Benjamin A. Shepherd (1814-1891) of Houston, who in 1875 platted townsite here, naming it for himself.
History
Townsite of Coldspring
Before founding of town, this land lay in Mexican grant made to Col. Robt. Rankin, veteran of American Revolution. Post office here bore name "Coonskin" (1847), then "Fireman's Hill," and finally "Cold Springs" (1850). Spelling later became "Coldspring." Original town plat contained 14 blocks. First courthouse, of wood, burned 1915. Present stone building replaced it in 1918.