History
A Century of the Methodist Church
Methodists of Hearne organized their church in Nov. 1870 with the Rev. Horace Bishop as pastor. In 1884 the Rev. Seth Ward became pastor. A church was constructed at this location in 1885. (Later the Rev. Mr. Ward was first native Texan to be made a bishop in the Methodist church.) Through gifts and pledges of the membership, present edifice was built, 1931; renovated, 1965.
Architecture
Adams-White Place
Built 1896 by Horatio ("Rashe") Adams, noted citizen and public relations man in Washington, D. C. The contractor was A. A. White. After 1911, the house was called the "Dr. John W. Black Place," for its owner. It was later sold to Mrs. Willie L. Moreland. In 1924, the house was purchased by Miss Lil White, present owner.
History
Allen Hardware Store
Built 1872 on land purchased from International Railroad Company by Drew and Holt of Hearne. After ownerships by Jas. Ferguson, w. T. Watt, R. A. Allen and H. K. Davis, Allen bought store in 1891; was joined by son Robert. Their heirs still own and operate the store. Goods carried in the past included seeds, saddles, wagons, building hardware, implements and coffins.
History
Andrew (Rube) Foster
(September 17, 1879 - December 9, 1930) Calvert native Rube Foster was a pioneer player, manager and executive in baseball's Negro Leagues. The son of Rev. Andrew and Evaline Foster, he finished eighth grade in Calvert and pitched for the Waco Yellow Jackets and Fort Worth Colts from 1897 to 1902.
History
Bald Prairie Cemetery
A leading citizen, Elijah Rains (1813-1889), who came to Texas from Tennessee in 1848, gave this burial ground to the public. Duck Creek people soon joined the Prairie people in its use. The earliest known burial was Walter Pirtle, date uncertain. The grave of Samuel E. Lightsey (1827-1872) has the oldest marker. Veterans of the Civil War and later conflicts are buried here.
Architecture
Barton Home
After her home north of Calvert was destroyed by fire, Minnie Walker Burnitt Barton, widow of plantation owner Francis Davis Barton, built this structure in 1909. She intended the brick home with slate roof to withstand as many natural disasters as possible. Classical revival in style, the house boasts colonnaded porches and balconies on three sides, 18-inch exterior walls, and 12-foot ceilings.
History
Calvert Colored High School
Built in 1929 with aid from the Rosenwald School Fund, Calvert County Training School, later renamed Calvert Colored High School, was one of the largest Rosenwald schools built in Texas. Up until this point, what little African American education had been attempted in Robertson County was largely relegated to "plantation schools.
History
Calvert Jewish Cemetery
Between 1820 and 1924, Jewish immigrants fled to the United States to escape economic hardship, religious persecution, and political and social upheaval. With this influx of people and the construction of railways, many towns developed with new Jewish communities.
History
Captain Henry Reed
Participated in the Battle of San Jacinto and later in 1836 commanded a volunteer company. Born in Tennessee November 10, 1800; died November 11, 1854.
History
Casimir Drugstore
Sometime after 1869, Jean Pierre Casimir (d. 1929), native of Toulouse, France, built this structure. His family operated drugstore here until 1949. A patio in the rear connected drugstore to the Palace Opera House, also owned and operated by the Casimir family.
Architecture
Citizens Bank & Trust Co. Building
Built 1868 by James S. Hanna, for a general store. Owned 1870-1871 by a Battle of San Jacinto veteran, the Rev. Robt. Crawford. Bought 1872 by J. S. McLendon, whose store and private bank were housed in the structure. In 1887 this was site of founding, First National Bank of Calvert, later renamed Union State Bank-- finally Citizens Bank & Trust. Exterior retains 1887 style.
History
City of Hearne
Situated on land originally granted (1830) to Francisco Ruiz, commander of Fort Tenoxtitlan. The first settler, S. Code Brown, operated a tavern, stage stand, store, and post office which served a large area. Among the southern planters coming here (1852) were Ebenezer and Horatio Hearne, who later tilled 5,000 acres of land. Mrs.
History
Cobb's Market
Original meat market here in 1868 was remodeled into present Victorian building of handmade brick in 1878, by Mrs. Ella Oscar. Original fixtures still used include wood burning stove of cast iron, marble top counters, meat saw rack. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967
History
Colored Graveyard in the Old Town of Hearne
This cemetery, now represented by a single grave, was a burial site for African Americans residents of the area. According to folklore, it originated as a farm or slave cemetery. The earliest known burial here dated in 1879, and residents used the graveyard until 1912. In 1947, developers purchased this property; descendants of the interred were forced to move and rebury relatives.
History
El Camino Real
Also known as Old San Antonio Road and Old Spanish Trail A trail of adventure, hardships, opportunity and freedom, over which history stalked into Texas. To the Spanish, El Camino Real was a road traveled for the king ' to colonize, Christianize, seek adventure or look for riches. This road became the most famous.
History
Former Calvert Courthouse
Most imposing public building in early Robertson County. After becoming county seat in 1870, Calvert lost many leaders in 1873 yellow fever epidemic. As planned, this Courthouse was begun in 1875; but before its completion, Franklin was named county seat, in 1879. Robert A. Brown, a merchant, investor and planter, purchased this building in 1885.
History
Franklin
This community was established in 1872 and named Morgan for a railroad official. Located on the right-of-way of the International Railway Company, the town contained a depot and three stores in its first year. By 1879, the town had 200 residents and voters transferred the county seat from Calvert to Morgan. The community applied for a post office in 1880.
Architecture
Franklin Carnegie Library
The city of Franklin housed a library of 1,000 volumes in its City Hall before 1913. In February that year, Franklin Mayor R. M. Cole (1848-1931) applied to the Carnegie Corporation of New York for funds to build a new library. The Carnegie Corporation approved plans and granted $7,500 to the project.
History
Franklin Cemetery
The community of Franklin was originally established in 1872, and named Morgan for an official of the International Railway Company. By 1879 the town had 200 residents. When the community applied for its post office, another Texas post office was named Morgan, so residents changed the name to Franklin after the name of the original county seat.
History
Franklin North and South Cemetery
The earliest marked stone here (1867) predates Franklin's founding. The site served as a final resting place for members of the area's African American community, and graves include those of important early leaders, citizens and veterans. A 1908 deed formally set aside the land.
History
General Walter Washington Williams
Reputed to have been last surviving soldier of the Civil War (1861-1865). Born in Ittawamba County, Miss., Williams (Nov. 14, 1842 - Dec. 19, 1959) during the war was a forage master for the celebrated Hood's Texas Brigade. Soon after the war he moved to Texas and farmed near here. He was twice married and had a large family, with the descendants numbering over 200 when he died.
History
Heards Prairie Cemetery
HEARDS PRAIRIE CEMETERY AN 1841 INDIAN AMBUSH IN THIS VICINITY, WHICH CLAIMED THE LIFE OF MAJOR G. W. HEARD, GAVE HEARDS PRAIRIE ITS NAME. LATER SETTLERS, INCLUDING THE BATES, BRANTNER, GARNER, JONES, JENKINS, JOHNSON, MANOR, OLDHAM, STANFORD AND WARE FAMILIES, ESTABLISHED PETTEWAY, NAMED FOR MIKE PETTEWAY, WHO OPERATED A GENERAL STORE.
History
Home Area of Chinese Farmers
Imported from Asia about 1874 to help in cotton fields, these exotic workers wore queues and attracted much notice. At least 24 families were brought here; many became permanent residents, respected for their good work. Over 25 ethnic groups settled in Texas-- many having preceded the Chinese. Other than American Indians, first permanent Texas settlers were cattle raisers from the Canary Islands.
Architecture
Howard House
This Eastlake style cottage was constructed by Mrs. S. M. Howard (d. 1932) in 1897, one year after she purchased the property from her sister-in-law Mrs. E. C. Morse. The home's outstanding features include fishscale shingling, a wide veranda with intricate gingerbread ornamentation, and interior woodwork detailing.
History
Jacques Adoue Building
Relic of colorful career of Jacques Adoue (1851-1906), youngest of three French brothers who came to Texas (1860s) to become Calvert, Dallas, and Galveston business leaders. Jacques Adoue owned numerous enterprises. This store, built for Collat, Adoue & Risser Dry Goods, set an ambitious style for the town.