History
City of Big Lake
The land on which the original townsite of Big Lake was located was owned in 1903 by T. H. Taylor who sold 320 acres to the Orient Land Company, which agreed to build a railroad station and lay out a town to be called Big Lake. The city took its name from a lake created by rain which gathers in a natural land depression about one and one half miles from here.
History
John E. Gardner Place
Oldest house in Reagan County. Had no window glass. Used swing shutter. Mud mortared native stone Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1964.
History
John H. Reagan
Delegate Texas Secession Convention. While member 1st Confederate Congress, made postmaster general C.S.A. 1861. Difficult job begun by raid on U.S. Postal Dept. for southern personnel asking them to get maps, forms. Despite seizure mail by enemy, army draft of clerks and carriers and split of South, department carried on. At war's end imprisoned Boston. Later U.S.
History
John H. Reagan
As congressman, 1876-1887, sponsored bill creating Interstate Commerce Commission; resigned 1891 from United States Senate to head newly-formed Railroad Commission, modeled after I.C.C., and created to regulate shipping rates and practices. In his term, 1891-1903, railway transportation of petroleum became important in Texas, the Commission was given jurisdiction in 1917 over pipelines.
History
Martin-Castillo Expedition
Explored the Concho River, 32 miles north of here, gathering information on Jumano Indians and searching for pearls, 1650. Setting out from Santa Fe, Capts. Hernan Martin and Diego Del Castillo traveled about 600 miles to the Jumano territory, where they stayed for 6 months.
History
Reagan County
Formed from Tom Green County; created March 7, 1903, organized April 20, 1903. Named in honor of John H. Reagan 1818-1905. Indian fighter and surveyor member of Texas Legislature and United States Congress postmaster general of the southern Confederacy. County seat, Stiles 1903-1925, Big Lake since.
History
Santa Rita No. 1
Discovery well for Big Lake oil field. First gusher in Permian Basin; first University of Texas producer. On land once thought almost worthless. Fruit of the faith of Big Lake lawyer Rupert Ricker. Though in 1919 no oil had been found within 100 miles, Ricker got leases on 431,360 acres of University of Texas land in Crockett, Irion, Reagan and Upton counties. Soon working with him were P. G.
History
Site of the First Court House Built in Reagan County
The following officials were installed May 8, 1903 Joseph J. Boyd, judge, J. B. Lucas, clerk, Henry Japson, sheriff and tax col., Frank Ramsey, treasurer, W.C. Shamlin, surveyor, M. D. Sutherland, assessor, Commissioners: Jno. E. Gardner, W. C. Castlebury, A. J. Kerchville, G. F. Kirk. The county seat was moved in 1925 to Big Lake. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Stiles Cemetery
(One mile west) Established about 1903. Site is on land then owned by early settlers G. W. and Lizzie Stiles. Plot summarizes much frontier history, as it holds graves of cowboys who died in accidents on cattle range; one Spanish-American War veteran; victims of shootings, rattlesnake bites, epidemic dysentery. Most were pioneers of steady habits and quiet lives.
History
Stiles Courthouse
Built in 1911 from stone quarried half a mile away. Cost $20,000. Used until 1925 when the county seat moved to Big Lake. For many years after, it was a community center and (for one year) a school. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1969
History
The First Bank in Big Lake
On this site the first bank in Reagan County was founded, with capital stock of $15,000.00. The initial stockholders meeting was held on March 29, 1913. The title of the institution was the First State Bank of Big Lake. On the original board of directors were James Belcher, P. H. Coates, Henry Japson, C. C. Sanders, W. M. Schneemann, Jr., J. M. Shannon, and J. H. Wilson.
History
Town of Texon
Early travelers along many historic trails in this area found the region arid and inhospitable. Given (1876) to the University of Texas, the lands around this marker were leased to cattlemen. The Kansas City, Mexico & Orient Railroad built its line here in 1911, but did little local hauling. Development came after Frank Pickrell and Haymon Krupp of Texon Oil and Land Company drilled for oil.