Architecture
Buffalo Courts
A unique community venture at West Texas State Teachers College during the Great Depression produced an architectural landmark. The project began in 1933 and used student labor, community donations, and state and federal funding. Limestone, petrified wood and other rock was quarried in Texas and New Mexico.
History
C. Stuart Johnston
Born in Belhaven, North Carolina on Dec. 31, 1900, Claud Stuart Johnston began teaching in Oklahoma after graduating from the University of North Carolina. Fieldwork for the University of Oklahoma prepared Johnson for the Earth Science Department chair at West Texas State Teachers College, where from 1934-39, he also taught courses, secured federal relief program funding for projects, and…
History
C.R. Burrow House
Charles Richard Burrow moved to Canyon City in 1899 to work for Eagle Hardware, and by 1919 he was able to buy the business and rename it Burrow Lumber Company. Burrow remained an active business and civic leader until his death in 1959. He served as mayor of Canyon, city commissioner and President of the Lumbermen's Association of Texas.
History
Canyon Fire Department
Prior to 1909, volunteers used buckets and homemade ladders to fight fires in Canyon and the surrounding area. The city addressed the need for fire protection by organizing a department and choosing 21 men for duty. The city also obtained a horse-drawn engine with two gasoline-driven pump motors from the Howe Engine Company.
History
City of Canyon
Site surveyed Christmas Day, 1887, by L. G. Conner, who also donated land for numerous civic improvements. Named for the colorful Palo Duro Canyon, 12 miles east. Despite a harsh environment characterized by snow, sandstorms, and grasshopper plaques, pioneer citizens pushed ahead. The first school, with 6 students, was organized in 1889.
History
Civil War Veterans Reunion
Celebrated annually in Canyon 1900-1910, these reunions were a focal point of social life. Each summer several thousand people arrived by horseback, train, buckboard, and covered wagon. Here they pitched tents and built fires to cook meals. Members of the "Stonewall Jackson" Confederate Veterans Camp exchanged tales with many other veterans of both North and South.
History
Clyde & Grace Warwick
Iowa natives Grace Winkleman (1890-1973) and Clyde Warwick (1885-1957) came to Canyon City in 1908 and 1910, respectively, marrying in 1911. Clyde was editor of The Canyon News for 45 years, receiving state and national awards. He was also a State Representative and school board member, helped form the Panhandle-Plains Historical Society, and was president of the Panhandle Press Association.
Military
Col. John I. Gregg 1872 Battle Site
The decade after 1865 was a time of transition for the U.S. Many citizens moved west, coming into conflict with Native American tribes living on the Great Plains. Settlers demanded the U.S. Army provide their protection. The Army responded by conducting campaigns against the Southern Plains Indians. In 1872, one such campaign included troops of the Eighth Cavalry commanded by Colonel John I.
Military
Company F, 2nd Battalion, 142nd Infantry, 36th Division, Texas National Guard
The 36th Division of the U.S. Army served with distinction in World War II. When mobilized, Company F of the Division's 142nd Infantry consisted primarily of Randall County soldiers, including ten sets of brothers, as well as a father and son. The unit deployed for Italy in 1943 and was among those landing at Salerno.
History
Dreamland Cemetery
Originally named Canyon City Cemetery, this burial ground has served the nearby community since early in Canyon's history. In 1891, S.W. Kelley deeded property to Randall County for cemetery use. That same year, the first burials occurred, for William E. McElroy and for Jerry Adams, an African American cowboy who died during a cattle drive.
History
First National Bank
Organized Jan. 5, 1900, by L. T. Lester, S. F. Sullenberger, and 19 others. First bank in region immediately south of Amarillo. Was vital factor in developing city and county. Was involved continuously with civic programs. Lester served as chairman of the committee to secure West Texas State University.
Architecture
First National Bank Building
In 1900, two years after the Santa Fe Railway extended its tracks from Amarillo to Canyon City, rancher and banker L.T. Lester established the Stockman's National bank; it became First National Bank of Canyon City in 1904. Lester commissioned St. louis architect R.G. Kirsch, designer of the Randall County courthouse, to design this showplace bank building.
History
Georgia O'Keeffe in Canyon
Renowned artist Georgia Totto O'Keeffe (1887-1986) was born in Sun Prairie, Wisconsin to Francis and Ida (Totto) O'Keeffe. The family moved to Virginia, where O'Keeffe and her siblings attended school. She studied art at various schools before enrolling in the Art Institute of Chicago and later the Art Students League in New York City.
History
Homesite of W. F. Heller, Pioneer Farmer
Native Texan, Civil War veteran (1861-65); settled here in 1887. Was first to farm area successfully. Was elected first clerk when county organized 1889. Also, helped organize first Sunday School, 1890. Married Susan Roberts, September 1897. Helped start West Texas State Normal College. (1968)
History
J. Evetts Haley
(July 5, 1901 - October 9, 1995) A noted historian, writer and public figure in Texas during the early 20th century, J. Evetts Haley was born in Belton (Bell County). He grew up in Midland, working on area ranches and competing in rodeos. Haley attended Midland College and West Texas Normal College in Canyon, where he earned a degree in history.
History
L. T. Lester Home
Built 1904; mantel pieces for 4 fireplaces, 2 marble lavatories bought in Kansas City, Mo. Site of political, social, church gatherings. Lester - buffalo hunter and cattleman - settled here, 1889; opened first bank, 1900. Active in civic affairs, he helped bring West Texas State University here, 1910. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967
History
Lucille Nance Jones
(November 20, 1904 - December 1, 1977) Bessie Lucille Parker was born in Arkansas to Thomas M. Parker and Jessie (Lay) Parker. The family moved to Texas and in 1924, Lucille married George E. Nance (1896-1954), a Hallettsville native. Lucille and George settled in the Canyon area and established the Nance Hereford Ranch. By 1925, the ranch covered 6,000 acres and primarily dealt in cattle.
History
Mary E. Hudspeth House
Built in 1909 by Thomas P. Turk, this home was originally located at 402 Palo Duro Street. After the establishment of West Texas University in 1910, it was moved here to serve as a residence for faculty and students. Mary E. Hudspeth (1874-1943), a member of the college faculty, rented rooms in the house at its original site.
History
Neblett Hospital and Clinic
As a small community west of Amarillo, the city of Canyon worked for years to bring a hospital to its citizens. Previous bond elections to fund a public hospital had failed, and the need for quality health care persisted. After a public meeting in 1935 in Canyon, Dr. Robert A.
Architecture
Palisades State Park Concession Building
In the midst of the Great Depression, a group of Amarillo businessmen combined resources and purchased for donation 320 acres of Henry Clay Harding's Ranch. Located in the upper reaches of Palo Duro Canyon, the acreage was designated as Palisades State Park. In 1933, Civilian Conservation Corps Company 856 began construction of the concession building for visitors to the park.
Museums & Art
Panhandle-Plains Museum
In 1932 the State of Texas matched $25,000 of private funds to construct the original unit. Since 1935 the museum, through Works Progress Administration projects, has increased its archeological and paleontological materials beyond the facilities of the building.
Architecture
Presbyterian Church Building
Constructed in 1926 for Canyon's growing Presbyterian congregation, this church building is a fine example of classical revival architecture. After serving the Presbyterians for 48 years, it was purchased by the First United Pentecostal Church in 1974.
History
Randall County
Created 1876; named for Confederate general Horace Randal. Settled 1877 by rancher Leigh Dyer, brother-in-law of Chas. Goodnight, man who brought first cattle to Panhandle. Organized in 1889. County seat: Canyon. Home of West Texas State University, Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum, Palo Duro State Park, Buffalo Lake. (1965)
History
Randall County
Created 1876; named for Confederate general Horace Randal. Settled 1877 by rancher Leigh Dyer, brother-in-law of Chas. Goodnight, man who brought first cattle to Panhandle. Organized in 1889. County seat: Canyon. Home of West Texas State University, Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum, Palo Duro State Park, Buffalo Lake. (1965)
History
Randall County
Formed from Young and Bexar territories. Created August 21, 1876 Organized July 27, 1889 Named in honor of Horace Randall 1821-1864 A distinguished Confederate officer who fell in battle at the head of his brigade. Canyon, the county seat.