Architecture
Herring-Crudgington House
Built in 1910 for ranchers Will and Eula Jo Day Herring, this Classical Revival style house features a pedimented entry portico with paired colossal order columns, a wraparound porch with Ionic columns, and a Palladian bay window on its south side. Purchased by Judge Jonathan W.
History
Homesite of Judge James Nathan Browning
Cowboy, lawyer, state official and jurist. Born in Arkansas, Browning received only a few months formal education, but taught himself by reading at night by the dim light of a pine knot. At 16, he came with his family to Cooke County, Texas, but later moved west to become a cowboy. His first job as a trail hand opened a nine-year career as a cattleman.
Architecture
Houghton House
This two-story residence was constructed in 1914 for Kentucky native John Malcolm Shelton (1852-1923), a prominent Panhandle cattleman and businessman. Built by W.M. Rice, it was designed by Amarillo architect Joseph Champ Berry. Following Shelton's death, the house was inherited by his daughter Martha, the wife of rancher Ted Houghton. She resided here until 1965.
Architecture
Mary (Masterson) and John Fain House
This house and its "twin" next door were built by sisters Mary Masterson Fain and Anna Belle Masterson Krister. Designed by Walter Whitley of Dallas, the houses were built in 1930. Mary Fain was the youngest daughter of Robert and Ann Masterson, pioneer ranchers with oil and gas holdings.
History
McBride Ranch House
(Built 1903) A pioneer settler quarried Alibates dolomite from the canyon rim to build this house, mortared with lime burned on the site. Wood in ridge beams, door and window lintels, ice house, and corral came from old railroad bridge timbers salvaged from Canadian River. The floors are of masonry mortar. The builder, David Nichols McBride, was born Oct. 22, 1849, in Henry County, Ill.
History
Northwest Texas Hospital School of Nursing
Prominent Amarillo Architect Guy Carlander designed this structure in 1924 as part of a larger hospital complex. The Panhandle oil boom of the 1920's strained municipal and medical facilities and a public teaching hospital was built. The complex included a nurses' dormitory and a ward for tubercular patients. The nursing school closed in 1985.
Architecture
Ordway Hall
Architect Guy Carlander designed this administration building for Amarillo College. It was built in 1936-37 and later named for George Ordway, who with James Guleke obtained legislative authority to establish the school; Ordway later became the first president. The L-plan building consists of an auditorium and a two-story classroom and office wing with 19 bays terminating in a four-story tower.
History
Polk Street Schools
During the 20th century, Polk Street was home to three public schools. The first opened in 1900 to meet the needs of the rapidly-growing Amarillo community. Bounded by Polk, Tyler, 12th and 13th Streets, the Red Brick School house supplied space for 284 students; the property also had sheds for the horses and donkeys belonging to students coming from ranches.
History
Polk Street United Methodist Church
The congregation of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South was organized on November 23, 1888, by Rev. Isaac Mills, Rev. Jerome Haralson and eight members. The church held title to Parker's Chapel, the first church building constructed in Amarillo in 1889. The building initially housed several denominations that later organized and moved into their own buildings.
History
Potter County
Formed from Young and Bexar Territories. Created August 21, 1876. Organized August 30, 1887. Named in Honor of Robert Potter 1800-1842. Signer of the Declaration of Independence. Secretary of the Navy. Senator in the Texas Congress, 1840. Amarillo, County Seat
Architecture
Potter County Courthouse
Organized in August 1887, Potter County erected its first courthouse in 1888 in old town Amarillo. The building was constructed by Mays, Hightower, and Jackson for a cost of $191. Over the years, three more courthouses were built as Amarillo and Potter County grew. During the 1920's the Panhandle experienced an oil boom.
History
Potter County Library
The Potter County free library was organized in 1902 by twelve local women. Many citizens donated books, and held bazaars, candy sales, and other activities to raise money to purchase more books. Mr. and Mrs. J.H. Willis donated a lot and house for the first library building. As these accommodations were outgrown, the library moved to the old post office, the fire station, and to city hall.
History
Potter County, Establishing of
Named for Robert Potter, Secretary of the Navy (1836) and Senator (1840-42) of the Republic of Texas. In territory ranged by Apache, Arapaho, Cheyenne, Comanche, and Kiowa Indians, and since 1600 familiar to Spanish military parties and French traders.
History
Route 66 in Amarillo
Commonly called the "Main Street of America" and also the "Mother Road," Route 66 became the first paved transcontinental highway in the U.S. spanning from Chicago to Los Angeles; the route in Texas crossed 7 panhandle counties over 177 miles. Route 66 was popular with automobile tourists.
Architecture
Russell Hall
The administration building and the gymnasium were the first two permanent structures built for Amarillo College. Originally known as Badger Gymnasium for the school's athletic teams, this facility was renamed to honor Dr. Natalie Russell, who fostered women's physical education at the college.
Architecture
Santa Fe Building
Built in 1928-30 at a cost of $1,500,000, this structure was designed by Santa Fe Railroad Architect E.A. Harrison. The 14-story building was the tallest in Amarillo until the 1970's, and housed the offices and division headquarters of the Santa Fe Railroad.
Architecture
Shuford-Killough House
This residence, built for cattleman J.D. Shuford, was completed in 1913. Designed by the Kansas City architectural firm of Shepard, Farrar, and Wiser, the house reflects the Prairie School style with its hipped roof and wide eaves. Other prominent features include a porch with classical columns and balustrades. In 1927 the house was purchased by local physician and civic leader R.S. Killough.
History
Site of Significant Archaeological Find, American Mammoths
When this Santa Fe Railway general office building was erected in 1928, the remains of a mammoth were excavated from the basement and were placed in the Panhandle Plains Historical Museum, Canyon, Texas. The extinct American mammoths were closely related to the modern elephants of Africa and Asia.
History
Smith-Rogers House
THIS HOUSE WAS BUILT FOR EARLY AMARILLO SETTLERS JAMES BYNUM AND MARIE LOWERY SMITH c. 1904, AND WAS ORIGINALLY LOCATED AT 1101 SOUTH TAYLOR STREET. THE HOME WAS PURCHASED IN 1945 BY JESSE A. ROGERS, WHO PLANNED TO MOVE HIS CAR DEALERSHIP TO THE SITE. INSTEAD OF RAZING THE HOUSE, HE HAD IT MOVED TO ITS PRESENT SITE TO SERVE AS HIS FAMILY'S HOME. AT THE TIME OF ITS RELOCATION, ARCHITECT C.W.
History
St. Francis Catholic Church
St. Francis Church commemorates a century of Eucharistic clebrations growing in love of God, family, land and country as a strong fiath community-March 13, 2008.
History
St. Francis Catholic Church Community
Attracted by the colonization efforts of Illinois residents Dr. Guy Clifford Powell and The Rev. Francis J. O'Reilly, German Catholic settlers began moving here in 1907. The pioneers formed the nucleus of the St. Francis Parish. Plans for a town failed, but a strong rural and agricultural community developed with the church as the spiritual, cultural and social center.
History
St. Mary's Academy
Established by the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word in 1899, St. Mary's Academy was originally located in Clarendon (60 mi. SE). In 1913 the institution was moved to Amarillo through the efforts of The Rev. David H. Dunn and the local Knights of Columbus council. The original section of this three-story brick schoolhouse was completed the same year.
History
The _X (LX) First Ranch in Potter County
Established by W. H. Bates and D. T. Beals, Colorado merchants and ranchers on the Arkansas River since 1870. "Crowded conditions" there resulted in moving herd and brand to the Panhandle of Texas in 1877 -- three years after Indians were expelled from this region.
History
The Canadian River
A travel route and dwelling site for over 12,000 years, the Canadian River supported stone and adobe Indian villages from the 12th to the 14th centuries. This waterway was also one of the first interior rivers of the U.S. known to early explorers. Coronado, coming from Mexico, crossed the Canadian in 1541 in his search for the famed city of Quivira.
History
The Canadian River
A travel route and dwelling site for over 12,000 years, the Canadian River supported stone and adobe Indian villages from the 12th to the 14th centuries. This waterway was also one of the first interior rivers of the U.S. known to early explorers. Coronado, coming from Mexico, crossed the Canadian in 1541 in his search for the famed city of Quivira.