History
Annie Riggs Hotel
Fort Stockton's first hotel of significance. Built 1900. Adobe, with "gingerbread" trim. Large verandas, dining room, parlors, guest rooms. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966.
History
Courthouse, Jail and Zero Stone
Courthouse and jail. Built 1883 of native sandstone. Nearby Zero Stone place in 1859 as first reference point of local surveys. Recorded Texas Historical Landmark, 1966,
Architecture
First National Bank Building
Built in 1912, this structure originally housed the First National Bank of Fort Stockton. Established two years earlier, the bank failed during the years of the great depression. In 1935 the building was purchased by the Pecos County State Bank. Chartered in 1928, the financial institution was located here until 1960.
History
First Telephone Exchange
The Pecos County commissioners authorized E. W. Bennett (1858-1933) to establish Ft. Stockton's First Telephone service in May 1909. The switchboard, operated by Bennett's daughter, Zetta, was located in a room attached to this adobe house, where the Bennetts lived. The wires connected with Ft.
History
Fort Stockton Guard House
Founded in 1859, Fort Stockton was abandoned during the Civil War and reestablished in 1867, when this guard house was built. Stone for the structure was quarried locally. The lumber was hauled from Indianola by oxcart. The guard house consisted of a room with arm and leg irons, a dungeon for solitary confinement, and quarters for guards. It was abandoned in 1886.
History
Fort Stockton Officers' Quarters
When Fort Stockton was rebuilt in 1867 to protect the route to El Paso, seven homes were erected for officers' families. Built with rock foundations and thick adobe walls, the structures faced the parade ground. Nearby were located corrals, carriage stalls, and other outbuildings. The houses were used by Officers' families until the fort closed in 1886. Three of the residences remain standing.
History
Fort Stockton, C.S.A.
After federal evacuation at start of Civil War, occupied by 2nd Regiment Texas Mounted Rifles. On far western frontier defense line. Supply post for troops going to and from Arizona-New Mexico campaign 1861-1862, designed to make confederacy an ocean to ocean nation. At times this area was the center of Comanche and Apache activities. California union troops dominated area 1862-65.
History
Giddings' Pecos Station
In the mid-19th century, stagecoach lines were a primary means of moving people, mail and supplies through the region. The U.S. government contracted with Henry Skillman for the San Antonio-El Paso Stage line in 1851. In this area, the route ran along the historic Chihuahua Trail, also known as the Lower Road, which was designed to carry U.S. mail.
History
Grey Mule Saloon
Part of Old Fort Stockton; built in 1880's. Hangout for cowboys and hotel guests. Later a store and post office. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966
History
Horse Head Crossing on the Pecos River
Here crossed the undated Comanche Trail from Llano Estacado to Mexico. In 1850 John R. Bartlett while surveying the Mexican boundary found the crossing marked by skulls of horses; hence the name "Horse Head". The Southern Overland Mail (Butterfield) route, St. Louis to San Francisco, 1858-1861, and the road west from Fort Concho crossed here.
History
Horsehead Crossing
(2 miles NE) Famed ford of the Pecos River, named for abundance of horse and mule skulls lining the banks in the 19th century. Many water-starved animals, stolen in Mexico by Indians and driven along the Comanche War Trail, died after drinking too deeply from the river.
History
Hovey School
About 1910 a railroad stop named Hovey was established about 40 miles west of here on the Kansas City, Mexico, and Orient Railroad. By 1913 Hovey contained a depot, post office/general store, and several stock shipping pens. Hovey school was established in 1913. The first school building burned and in 1916 this schoolhouse was erected in Hovey.
History
Iraan
In 1922 three local businessmen, O. W. Parker, George Thompson, and I. G. Yates, leased the drilling rights on twenty sections of ranch land to Transcontinental Oil Company. After two dry holes were drilled the I. G. Yates well No. 1 blew in on October 28, 1926. The area around ranch headquarters became a boom town. Because it was isolated, support of the increased population became difficult.
History
Koehler's Saloon and Store
Built 1870's of field stone. Herman Koehler in 1884 opened saloon at one end, general store and bank at other. Later second story was added. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966.
Industry & Science
Marathon Oil Company Discovery Well
Opening one of greatest oil fields in the world, Mid-Kansas Oil and Gas Company (a subsidiary wholly owned by the Ohio Oil Company, whose name has now been changed to Marathon Oil Company) brought in the I. G. Yates "A" No. 1 well on October 29, 1926. The well at the shallow depth of 1,150 feet had a rated potential daily flow of 72,869 barrels.
Industry & Science
Oil and Gas Industry in Pecos County
Located in the petroleum-rich Permian Basin, Pecos is one of the most prolific oil- and gas-producing counties in Texas. The petroleum business here began about 1900 with the drilling of the Turney well near an ancient "seep", a traditional local source of oil for lubricating and medicinal purposes.
History
Old Fort Cemetery
Burial ground for soldiers stationed at Fort Stockton and for civilians in the little town that grew up around the post. The fort was established 1859; temporarily closed 1861-1867. Troops here protected the San Antonio-San Diego mail line and quelled Indian raids into Mexico on the infamous Comanche Trail.
History
Oldest House
Oldest house. Only reminder of first Fort Stockton, founded 1859. Was part of old St. Gall townsite. Had thatched roof, adobe walls. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966.
History
Pecos County
Formed from Presidio County, created May 3, 1871. Organized March 9, 1875. On March 9, 1875, the following county officers were elected: George M. Frazer, Chief Justice. Cesario Torres, Commissioner. Francis Rooney, Commissioner. Hipolito Carrasco, Commissioner. Martin Huffmann, Commissioner. Fort Stockton, County Seat. Oil was discovered in the Yates field in 1926.
History
Pioneer Stagecoach Stand Operators Mr. and Mrs. Isaac J. Rude
On way to California from Tennessee in the 1850's Isaac J. and Sarah Isabella Rude settled in West Texas. In Davis Mountains, Rude built and operated a station for the Butterfield Overland Stage; here passengers had meals while mules were unharnessed and exchanged for a fresh team. Soon Butterfield--the pioneer passenger and mail service (1858-1861) from St.
History
Sheffield
Spanish explorers traveled Indian trails here in the Pecos River Valley as early as 1590. Later, U.S. Cavalry, a camel train, and stage and mail lines between San Antonio and San Diego, California, used the route. Nearby Pecos Spring attracted settlers to the area in the 1880s and 90s. Families lived in tents on the north side of the creek and hauled water from the spring.
Nature
Site of Comanche Springs
Used as a watering place and camping ground by Indians since Pre-Columbian times, the Springs were possibly visited about 1536 by Spaniard Cabeza de Vaca on his wanderings through Texas. The expedition of Juan de Mendoza, with his party of Spaniards and Jumano Indians, camped near the waters in 1684.
History
Site of Fort Stockton
Established on the Comanche Trail March 23, 1859, as a protection to the San Antonio-San Diego mail route. Named in honor of Commodore Robert Field Stockton, 1795-1866, who captured California for the United States. A stage stand on the San Diego Line, 1858-1861. Evacuated by federal troops during the civil war, reoccupied July, 1867. Permanently abandoned June 30, 1886.
History
St. Joseph's Catholic Church
Efforts of establish a Catholic church in the area began shortly after the Civil War when Fort Stockton was reoccupied by United States troops. The first services were conducted in 1872 by father Claude Jaillet and father Adolfo Guichon. Construction of the present church building began three years later. Located on land donated by Peter Gallagher, it was built of adobe on a stone foundation.
History
Telegraph Office & School
First school in area, 1883. Smaller structure served as first office for army telegraph line which arrived in 1876. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966.