History
Alfred Lane
Called "A splendid brave man" by his brother-in-law, cattleman Charles Goodnight, Tennessee native Alfred Lane moved to Texas with his family in 1836 and settled in Robertson's colony on the Brazos River. He moved to the Black Springs area of Palo Pinto County in 1856, following his marriage to Elizabeth Goodnight, and raised horses on the open range.
History
Bethel Strawn
An 1858 settler and leading citizen of Palo Pinto County. Enlisted 1864 in Co. B. 1st Frontier District, Texas State Troops, in Maj. Wm. Quayle's command. Saw service mainly in keeping down Indian depredations and protecting settlements that were furnishing food, salt, hides, leather and other goods to aid the Confederate cause during the Civil War.
History
Black Springs
Settled before the Civil War and named for the area's early water source, located nearby, the Black Springs community played a significant role in the growth of Palo Pinto County. Prominent individuals associated with the town included early cattlemen and trail drivers Oliver Loving and Charles Goodnight and J. J. "Jack" Cureton, a noted military veteran and pioneer.
History
Black Springs Cemetery
(220 yards east) Originally known as the Black Springs Cemetery, the nearby burial ground was established to serve pioneer settlers of the Keechi Valley and the settlement of Black Springs. The earliest marked grave is that of Mary A. Lasater (1841-1871). Land for the cemetery was deeded by Silas Adam Sheek, stepfather of the noted Texas cattleman Charles Goodnight.
History
Charles Goodnight
Here at Black Springs in the Keechi Valley in 1857, the celebrated pioneer open range cowman and trail driver Charles Goodnight (1836-1929) located his first ranch on the extreme Indian frontier of Texas.
History
Civilian Conservation Corps at Possum Kingdom State Park
The Civilian Conservation Corps Company 2888 was transferred here from Tyler in May 1941 to develop Possum Kingdom State Park. The CCC enrollees cleared the park area and shoreline, laid a waterline, built campsites and picnic tables, constructed culverts and more than seven miles of Park Road 33.
History
Comanche Trail Through Palo Pinto County
Plains Indians of the 18th century blazed a trail to a Taovaya village on the Red River from raids on settlements in northern New Spain. The trail linked watering holes and natural provisions crucial to survival for Comanches, Kiowas and allied tribes. At the Taovaya camp, Indians traded for goods brought upriver by French traders.
History
Courthouses of Palo Pinto County
Palo Pinto County was created in 1856 and named for a creek south of here that was perhaps named by Spanish explorers of the Brazos River Valley. The county seat of 320 acres was surveyed at its geographical center and was originally named Golconda. A court session in 1857 called for the first courthouse to be built of wood frame construction, with two doors and three windows.
History
Elmwood Cemetery
This cemetery was established in 1883 when G. W. Slaughter and G. P. Barber donated land to the city. Prior to that time, a site known as The Cove served as a public burial place. Graves from The Cove were relocated here in 1884. The oldest documented grave is that of Nellie Crump, who died in 1881. Other burials include those of city founder James A. Lynch, his wife Arminda, and pioneer citizens.
Industry & Science
Famous Mineral Water Company
Edward P. Dismuke (1860-1957) came to Mineral Wells about 1900. He and Cicero Smith built a recreational lake west of town in 1904, complete with picnic areas and a scenic railroad. When they dug a well for drinking water they discovered a new supply of mineral water.
History
George Rice Bevers Homesite
On the Fort Worth-Fort Belknap Road, near Flat Rock Crossing of Keechi Creek. Occupied 1854 when such travelers as Indian agent Robert S. Neighbors were fed or housed overnight by Bevers. First Palo Pinto county school opened in vicinity in 1856, on a path smoothed by oxen pulling a log.
History
George Webb Slaughter
(May 10, 1811-March 11, 1895) Born in Lawrence County, Miss. Came to Texas with his parents in 1830, settled in Sabine County, and began a freighting business. He participated in the Texas War for Independence, serving as a courier for Gen. Sam Houston, and on one occasion took a dispatch to Col. William B. Travis at the Alamo in San Antonio.
History
Hittson Cemetery
This burial ground (.2 miles north) first served the family of pioneer settler Jesse Hittson (1801-61). A native of Virginia, Hittson moved to this area in 1855 and began raising cattle. His land, located on an important early Brazos River crossing, became known as Hittson Bend. In 1857 he actively participated in the formation of Palo Pinto County. His grave is the earliest marked at this site.
History
Home of Stephen Bethel Strawn
Born in Giles county, Tennessee. Came to Palo Pinto County, 1859, among first settlers in region. Married Jane Allen, July 18, 1860. Served in Co. B, State Troops, during Civil War, protecting frontier. Built this house in mid-1870s. Founded city of Strawn, 1880, to encourage Texas & Pacific Railway company to build through area.
Architecture
James Nesbit Stuart House
Built in 1874 by J. N. Stuart (1837-1910) and wife, Sally Allen Stuart (1835-1918), of materials hauled by ox-wagon from east Texas. A ship builder, Andrew Murdock, joined frame with pegs. House was first in area to have milled lumber and window glass. Four sons, all successful in later business life, were reared here.
History
Jonathan Hamilton Baker
Virginia native Jonathan Hamilton "Ham" Baker came to Texas in 1858 with his brother G. W. Baker and his uncle Eli Young. Stricken by malaria while a teacher in Fort Worth, he later moved to Palo Pinto County where his uncle Frank Baker was homesteading.
History
Joseph Peter Davidson
(1823-1897) Born in Giles County, Tennessee, Joseph Peter Davidson moved to Texas and settled in Palo Pinto County about 1856. Davidson established a trading post near this site. In 1865 he started a ranch in present Eastland County and later helped organize the county. He served as official surveyor. He helped establish a Methodist church and Masonic Lodge.
History
Mary Jane Gentry
Born in Boston in 1912, Mary Jane Catherine Gentry became an accomplished educator, historian, author and world traveler. Her 1946 University of Texas master's thesis, written under supervision of Walter Precott Webb, was entitled "Thurber: The Life and Death of a Texas Town.
History
Mineral Wells
A town built on water. Founded 1877 by J. A. Lynch, a settler who miraculously recovered from rheumatism after drinking the foul-tasting, but apparently healthful, water in this well. As the news spread, hundreds converged to "take" the waters, and a boom town sprang up. Its commercial slogan "crazy" arose from a deputed cure of insanity at the "crazy woman well".
History
Morris Sheppard Dam and Possum Kingdom Lake
Built in response to disastrous Brazos River flooding, Morris Sheppard Dam and Possum Kingdom Reservoir were early attempts at water conservation and flood control in Texas. The U.S. Government funded $4,500,000 of the three-year, $8,500,000 project through the Works Progress Administration, a Depression era recovery agency. Named for U.S.
History
Mount Marion Cemetery
Located on land once owned by William W. Johnson, whose coal mining operations spurred major development in nearby Thurber, this cemetery was named for Johnson's daughter, Marion, who died at age three. It later became the primary burial ground for the town of Strawn. The earliest documented burial dates to 1883. Interred here are many area pioneers, including town founder Stephen B.
Military
Old Camp Wolters
Established in 1925, Camp Wolters was named for Brigadier General Jacob F. Wolters, commander of the 56th Brigade for the National Guard, and designated a summer training site for horse-mounted cavalry units. The city of Mineral Wells donated fifty acres of land, and later thousands of acres were leased for the camp.
History
Old County Jail
Built to replace a log jail, this native sandstone structure was erected by contractors Martin, Byrne and Johnston of Comanche. J. C. McQuerry was sheriff when it was finished (1880). The first floor was used for county offices until a new courthouse was finished. It then housed the jailer's family, while the top floor held killers, cattle rustlers, rowdy cowboys, and other prisoners.
Architecture
Old Mineral Wells Post Office
A surge of growth in this city after 1900 created a need for a larger post office. This structure was the third facility built here after postal service began in 1882. It was constructed between 1911 and 1913 of reinforced concrete and clad with stuccoed brick. Classical details standard to post offices of the era were highlighted with limestone trim.
History
Palo Pinto Cemetery
This cemetery traces its history to 1857 when a 320-acre tract of land was surveyed for the original Palo Pinto townsite. The town was platted in 1858 and one block was laid around an existing cemetery. In 1880 Palo Pinto citizens purchased the graveyard from the county. The oldest legible grave marker is that of George W. Slaughter (May 6, 1843-June 15, 1860).