History
Lone Star Fair
Henry L. Kinney (b. 1814), founder of Corpus Christi, began by October 1851 to organize the Lone Star Fair to boost local economy. The fair was publicized to attract new settlers to the area, but was a thinly-veiled attempt to recruit men for the army of Gen. Jose J.M. Carbajal, a Virginia-educated revolutionary who was trying to liberate northern Mexico. Kinney called on Dr.
History
Louis de Planque
Born in Prussia in April 1842, Louis de Planque immigrated to Mexico during the American Civil War era. By 1864 he was working in Matamoros and soon opened a photography studio in Brownsville, Texas. During the American Civil War, the confederate cotton trade transformed Brownsville and Matamoros into boomtowns, which helped de Planque's business.
History
LULAC
One of the most influential American political groups of the twentieth century, the League of United Latin American Citizens was founded in Corpus Christi. The formation of LULAC resulted from the merger of three groups: the Order of Sons of America (Corpus Christi); the Knights of America (San Antonio); and the Latin American Citizens League of the Rio Grande Valley.
History
Martha (Reagan) Rabb (February 25, 1826-March 20, 1901)
Martha Reagan moved with her parents from Tennessee to Fayette County, Texas where she met and married John Rabb (1825-1872). In 1857, John and Martha moved their family to Nueces County and settled near Banquete, where John pursued cattle ranching under the Bow and Arrow brand. Rabb raised far more cattle than his ranch land could support by running his herds on the open range.
History
Matthew Dunn
A native of Ireland, Matthew Dunn was the first of five brothers to immigrate to the United States and settle in Corpus Christi. Their descendants have served prominently as active business and civic leaders throughout South Texas. Upon his arrival in this country, Matthew Dunn enlisted as a sutler, or handler of goods, with Gen. Zachary Taylor.
Architecture
McCampell House
Mary Alice Ward McCampbell, widow of William Berry McCampbell, purchased land at 1421 Water Street in the old Irishtown section of Corpus Christi in 1908. Soon thereafter she hired local architect and builder William F. Bowles to design and build a home for herself and her three sons. Mrs. McCampbell later married G.E. Wilkinson.
History
Moravian Club of Nueces County
An organization vital to the preservation of the area's rich heritage, the Moravian Club of Nueces County first formed to build and maintain a meeting hall for the many settlers of Czech descent, primarily Moravian, who migrated to southwestern Nueces County. Stanley L.
History
Moses Menger Elementary School
Moses Menger Elementary School opened on South Alameda Street in January 1929 to serve students in Corpus Christi. It was the first Corpus Christi school built outside of the city's central area extent, helping to initiate development in the community's south side.
History
Mustang Island
Port Aransas is located on Mustang Island, one of seven Texas barrier islands. It is named for the wild horses that came here from shipwrecks and Spanish expeditions, and which once populated the island. The earliest humans here were members of nomadic groups collectively known as the Karankawas; they stayed on or about the islands in winter and fall, before moving inland during spring and summer.
History
Nicholas Bluntzer
(October 29, 1835-September 5, 1901) A native of the French province of Alsace, Nicholas Bluntzer came to Texas at age nine with his parents and other Alsatian families led by colonizer Henri Castro. The Bluntzer family settled in DeWitt County, in an area along Coleto Creek which would become the town of Meyersville. In 1856-57 Bluntzer served as a scout in a punitive expedition led by Col.
History
Nueces County
Created April 18, 1846, Organized July 13, 1846 Named for the river which, in 1689, Alonso de Leon called the Nueces because of the many Pecan trees on its banks. Corpus Christi county seat
History
Nueces County
Named for Rio Nueces (River of Nuts), its northern border. In 1519 Pineda, one of the first Spanish explorers, paused briefly in this area. Spain founded Fort Lipantitlan nearby in 1531. Post, named for an Indian village, fell into Anglo-American hands in 1835 during Texas Revolution. Strategic value of this area (with its outlet to the sea) was recognized in 1845 when U.S.
History
Nueces County Courthouse of 1914
In 1853 lawlessness in Nueces County, which covered most of the area from Corpus Christi to the Mexican border, prompted the construction of the first county courthouse on this block. Three lots were purchased for $300 from Corpus Christi founder, Henry Lawrence Kinney (1814-1865). A second courthouse was built in the mid-1870's beside the first. Under the administration of county Judge Walter F.
History
Nuecestown (4 Miles North)
Henry L. Kinney (b. 1914), who founded Corpus Christi, established Nuecestown in 1852 at the location of the first ferry crossing on the Nueces River west of Corpus Christi. He sent agents to Europe, primarily England and Germany, to promote his new settlement. Each immigrant purchased 100 acres of land, a town lot, and 10 head of cattle.
History
Nuecestown Cemetery
This burial ground served the original residents of the Nuecestown community. The settlement was established in 1852 by Col. Henry Lawrence Kinney (b. 1814) who owned a trading post at Corpus Christi, 13.5 miles southeast. Originally called "The Motts" because of a grove of large trees, it was later named for the nearby Nueces River. Land was deeded to the settlers by the H.L.
History
Nuecestown Raid
During the reconstruction era in Texas, tensions mounted between Anglo settlers and Mexicans in the Nueces River area. On March 26, 1875, a band of raiders attacked a farm near Nuecestown, stealing livestock and taking some of the settlers prisoner. Forcing their captives to March on foot, they proceeded to Nuecestown.
History
Nuecestown Schoolhouse
Colonel Henry Lawrence Kinney established a trading post in the area now known as Corpus Christi in 1839. In 1850 he planned a settlement, which came to be called Nuecestown, approximately twelve miles up the Nueces River. The public school in Nuecestown, established some years prior to 1885, was one of the largest in the county by 1893, with an enrollment of thirty-two students.
Military
Old Bayview Cemetery
The oldest federal military cemetery in Texas, Old Bayview was laid out by U.S. Army engineers while Brig. Gen. Zachary Taylor was encamped in Corpus Christi on the eve of the Mexican War. On Sept. 13, 1845, the steamer "Dayton", used to transfer men from St. Joseph's Island to Corpus Christi, burst a boiler near McGloin's Bluff (Old Ingleside), killing seven soldiers.
History
Old Saint Anthony's Catholic Church
In November 1909, the Rev. J. Goebels called a meeting to organize St. Anthony's parish for the recently settled German Catholic farm families in the community of Land Siding, later known as Violet. Louis Petrus donated five acres for a church site, and five additional acres were purchased. The parishioners began construction of this building in 1910, with John W.
Architecture
Old St. Patrick's Church
St. Patrick's parish included only 19 families when the Rev. Bernard O'Reilly (1821-75) became first resident pastor in 1853. He supervised construction of Corpus Christi's first Catholic Church. The adobe building stood on Tancahua Street property donated by Henry L. Kinney. In 1880 construction was begun on a larger building, located at the same site but facing Karankawa Street.
History
On this site stood Fort Lipantitlan
Occupied in 1831 by soldiers of the Mexican army to prevent further Anglo-American colonization in Texas. Captured November 4, 1835 by volunteers under Captain Ira Westover. Unsuccessfully attacked June 7, 1842 by 700 men under Gen. Antonio Canales while defended by 192 men under General James Davis.
History
One Mile Northeast is the Site of Fort Lipantitlan
One mile northeast is the site of Fort Lipantitlan. Occupied in 1831 by soldiers of the Mexican Army. Captured Nov. 4, 1835 by volunteers under Capt. Ira Westover. Unsuccessfully attacked June 7, 1842 by an army under Gen. Antonio Canales. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Padre Island and Padre Nicolas Balli
First called Corpus Christi Island or Isla Santiago, Padre Island was named for Padre Jose Nicolas Balli (177?-1829). His family migrated from Spain in 1569 and became large landowners in the lower Rio Grande Valley, influential in military and governmental affairs. Ordained about 1790, Padre Balli applied to Spain's King Charles IV in 1800 for 11 1/2 leagues of land on the island.
History
Pat Dunn Ranch
Patrick Francis Dunn, the son of Irish immigrants Thomas and Catherine H. Dunn, was born October 10, 1858, in Corpus Christi. He married Clara J. Jones August 30, 1883. In December 1883, Pat Dunn entered a partnership with his mother and brother, Thomas, to graze cattle on Padre Island, and as manager moved to the island in January 1884. Settling 20 miles down the coast.
History
Robstown Labor Camp
A major cotton producing district of Texas during the early twentieth century, Nueces County saw many migrant workers come through towns like Robstown for work in cotton and vegetable farms. Robstown Labor Camp was completed in 1940 as one of nine migrant labor camps built across Texas to provide housing and other resources for migrant workers as a program of President Franklin Roosevelt's farm…