History
Odd Fellow and Rebekah Children's Home
In 1885 the Grand Lodge of Texas, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, founded the I. O. O. F. Widows and Orphans Home, one of the first fraternal orphanages in the state. Corsicana Lodge No. 63 and other local citizens gave 200 acres as a site for the facility. On April 26, 1886, the cornerstone for the first permanent building was laid.
History
Oil City Iron Works
This modern plant grew from the small machine shop and foundry started on this site in 1866 by John Winship (1826-86) to make parts for his cotton gin. He sold the operation in 1886 to businessmen Joseph Huey (1827-1904), James Garitty (1842-1925), and J. E. Whiteselle (1851-1915), who named it the Corsicana Manufacturing Company.
Industry & Science
Old Welding Shop of H. C. Nicol
(1892-1963) Expert with acetylene torch, Nicol is remembered as first welder operating in the Navarro County oil fields, which opened 1894. He began work about 1912, at a time when he had to mix own welding chemicals. In addition he pioneered welding of cast iron and aluminum in this area. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1968
History
Pelham Cemetery
This cemetery has served the African American community of Pelham since the late 19th century. Established in the years following the Civil War, Pelham was at first organized by free men who had recently received their freedom. Most early residents were farmers, and agriculture continues to play an important role in the community.
History
Pelham Community
First called Forks of the Creek, this town was settled by Black families after 1866. Wesley United Methodist Church, which housed the first school, was organized in 1878 and moved near the present cemetery in 1890. Brown's Chapel A. M. E. Church was formed in 1905 and Union Baptist in 1916.
History
Petty's Chapel
Travelers across this area traversed nearby creeks at hardbottom crossings, including one north of here on Chambers Creek. They crossed Briar Creek on the way into Corsicana, established in 1848. The first road utilizing these two crossings was known as the Military Road. This part of the county was initially divided into four abstracts beginning with that of Jehu (John) Peoples in 1835.
Nature
Pisgah Ridge
Pisgah Ridge, known locally as "The Ridge" or "Pizgy Ridge," is an outcropping that begins at the northern extremity of the Tehuacana Hills about 12 miles south of Corsicana near the confluence of Richland and Pin Oak creeks.
History
Prairie Point Church and Cemetery
Pioneer area settlers met in 1855 to organize a Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Five years later, the congregation built a sanctuary at this site on land donated by charter member Zachariah Westbrook (1809-1878) and his wife, Mary (Agnew) (1813-1896). The Westbrooks' donation also included the original tract of the adjacent cemetery. The earliest marked grave there is for A. J.
History
R. N. White
First County Clerk - First Corsicana Postmaster A native of South Carolina, Robert Newton White (1810-1891) moved his family to this area in 1845. One year later Navarro County was created and White was elected the first County clerk, a position he held for ten years. During that time he also served as the first Corsicana postmaster, 1849-52.
History
Raleigh Cemetery
Raleigh Cemetery was named for the community of Raleigh, an early settlement in Navarro County. Raleigh's post office was established in 1900, and for a time the town maintained a church, grist mill, blacksmith shop and school. Although the first marked grave is that of Lauretty Frost (1852-54), Raleigh Cemetery was not mentioned in the Navarro County deed books until 1885, when A.
History
Rex Ingram
Dean of American black actors. A Corsicana native, Rex (Clifford) Ingram was the son of Mack and Mamie Ingram. He graduated from Northwestern University before launching his brilliant acting career, which spanned 50 years. Ingram made his screen debut during the era of silent movies in a 1918 "Tarzan" film.
History
Rice
Settlers began arriving at this site in the late 1860s, mostly from the nearby settlement of Porter's Bluff, which had been devastated by a flood in 1866. By 1872, the Houston and Texas Central Railroad, which bypassed Porter's Bluff, was routed through this site.
History
Rice Cemetery
The Rice community was settled during the late 1860s and was named for William Marsh Rice, who donated land for the town's railroad station and later founded Rice University. In 1868, the citizens of the community were granted land for a cemetery by the trustees of the William M. Rice interests.
History
Richland Cemetery
In town founded after the Houston & Texas Central Railroad bypassed older villages. An early store was moved from Pisgah Ridge ( 5 mi. W) by J. T. and Prudence Anderson Patrick, who settled in Richland in 1870. They had three sons, Walter, Jim, and Arthur; and one daughter, Willie. First need for a burial site arose in 1895 with death of Mrs. Willie Patrick Brown, wife of Dr. A. N. Brown.
Architecture
Roger Q. Mills Home
Outstanding example plantation architecture. Was long the home of U. S. Senator Roger Quarles Mills (1832-1911). Born in Kentucky, Mills came to Corsicana in 1852. Was colonel in Civil War; served Texas 27 years as congressman, senator. Married: five children. He built northwest section of house in 1856, used some of logs from cabin built on same site in 1847. House was completed 1875.
History
Rosenberg Family
Ben Rosenberg (1862-1929) emigrated from Poland to the United States about 1882. After living several years in Waco, he settled in Corsicana about 1890. Rosenberg soon became the proprietor of the Cotton Exchange Saloon and in 1902 opened the Rosenberg Implement Company. Known for his generosity and his interest in civic affairs, Rosenberg also was active in Corsicana's large Jewish community.
History
Samuel R. Frost
(Mar. 1, 1846 - Jan. 1, 1908) A native of Huntsville, Texas, Samuel R. Frost grew up in Navarro County and in 1863 enlisted in the Confederate army. After the Civil War, he studied law and was admitted to the bar in 1870. In the years that followed, Frost served as Navarro County attorney, county judge, district judge, and state legislator.
History
Samuel Wistar Johnson, M. D.
(1853-1922) A native of Georgia, Samuel W. Johnson established his first medical practice in Atlanta. After moving to Texas and settling in Corsicana, he became a respected community physician and was elected mayor in 1900. During his term in office the public library was established, thanks to the efforts of the city's women's clubs.
History
Senator James H. Woods Home
Built 1900 of long leaf pine lumber. Entry paneled in beveled, leaded plate glass. Children had skating rink and gym in attic. Occupied by Senator Woods and family, 1900-1931; by son, 1931-1939. Senator Woods (1858-1931) came to Corsicana from Tennessee, 1873. Became a lawyer; served as city councilman, mayor, commissioner of fire department, director of public library, school trustee.
History
Site of Merchants Opera House
At this site in 1891, a group of businessmen built a three-story structure to replace the small Corsicana Opera House above city hall. The Merchants Opera House had stores and offices on the first two floors and a balconied auditorium on the top story. Opulently decorated in the style of the day, the theater seated up to 1000.
History
Site of the First Courthouse
The Texas Legislature specified that the seat of Navarro County should be called Corsicana; but the location was not secured until 1848, when this site was donated by David R. Mitchell, James C. Neill, and Thomas Smith. Other structures served briefly as quarters for county business; but the fist actual courthouse was a log cabin erected here in 1848.
History
Site of University Training School - Central Texas College
In 1899, the Corsicana District of the Northwest Texas Methodist Conference established a college preparatory school. The following year, the University Training School opened at this site under the direction of the Rev. J. W. Adkisson, a respected Christian educator. In 1909, a junior college curriculum was added and the institution was renamed Central Texas College.
History
Smith-McCrery Home
Built in 1880, this house originally was the residence of Dr. John R. Smith, who served as the mayor of Corsicana from 1883 until 1885. During his term of office, Smith organized the volunteer fire department and helped Navarro County set up a poor farm at Petty's Chapel, where prisoners without money could work off their fines. In 1898 the home was purchased by Mrs. A. W.
History
Spring Hill
Oldest community in Navarro County. The springs at this site supplied water to Indians for centuries before white settlers arrived. In 1838 Dr. George Washington Hill (1814-60) built a trading post near the springs, and in October of that year a skirmish between a surveying party and Kickapoo Indians occurred in this vicinity.
History
St. John's Episcopal Church
This church was established in 1871 following Episcopal missionary efforts which began in the Corsicana area in the 1850s. Started as a mission, St. John's was organized under the leadership of the Rev. Virginius Gee. In 1874 the first church building was constructed at this site on property donated by E. J. and W. S. Simkins. The parish was formally organized two years later.