History
Caddo Trace
Hunting and trade route for area between Arkansas and Red Rivers; used by Caddo Indians, who occupied the northeast corner of Texas and adjacent states. Like many Indian trails, it was later usurped by whites; after 1840, it became part of stage and mail routes. Teamsters used it transporting goods to market; soldiers marched along it to and from several wars.
History
Cumberland Presbyterian Church
Congregation traces its history to 1849, when area Presbyterians formally organized and began holding worship services in private homes. From 1852 to 1880, services were held in the Chapel Hill College building at this site. The congregation has since met here in its own church structure, known for a period as the "Union Church" because Baptists also worshiped there.
History
Daingerfield, C. S. A.
Civil War center for manufacturing, supply and travel. Place of enrollment of several Confederate army units. Local industries supporting the war effort included 3 tanyards-- sidelines of the beef slaughtering trade that helped feed troops and civilians. The tanyards made leather for soldiers' boots and shoes and for Cavalry saddles, bridles and harness.
History
Hometown of United States Senator Morris Sheppard
(1875-1941) One of great lawmakers of the United States. Born near Naples, son of John L. and Alice Eddins Sheppard. Attended local schools. Received degrees of B. A. and LL.B., University of Texas; LL.M., Yale; LL.D., Southern Methodist University. Entered law practice in 1898. Served in United States Congress 1902-1913; United States Senate, 1913-1941.
History
Iron Bluff Cemetery
Livingston Skinner (1795-1874) came to this part of Texas from Georgia in the early 1840s with his wife, Hedidah "Jodie" (Hughes) (1806-1881), and their children. The Iron Bluff Cemetery began as a family cemetery at the northwest corner of their property. The first marked burial in the graveyard dates to 1853 and is that of the Skinners' daughter E.F. (Emily). They buried her sister N.E.A.
History
James Thompson
(1759-1841) Veteran of the American Revolution. Ancestors of James Thompson lived in Virginia in the 17th century. Thompson served in Capt. Bynum's Company of North Carolina Militia in 1781, helping win victory in the American Revolution. In pioneer spirit, he and his family later moved to Alabama, then to Mississippi, then to the Republic of Texas.
History
Morris County
Created and organized in 1875, with Daingerfield as county seat. Named for William W. Morris (1805-1883), who came to Texas in 1849, when the Civil War began in 1861, was in 8th Legislature that armed the state, enacted soldiers' families' relief laws and set up 2,000 mile frontier and coastline defenses. Also in 13th Legislature, 1873-75.
History
Naples
When railroad by-passed prosperous town of Wheatville (3 mi. N), this rival town emerged at railroad. Post office moved here Jan. 1882, and was called Station Belden. Name was changed to Naples by U. S. Post Office Department, Feb. 1895. With depletion of hardwood forests, economy returned to cattle and agriculture.
Architecture
Ned Walker Home
Built 1859, for pioneer J. G. Henderson. Hand-dressed pine in floors, ceilings, extra large interior doors were handmade. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967 Incise in base: Preserved by Mr. and Mrs. Ned Walker
History
Omaha
On Seidicum Line, the old Bowie-Red River counties boundary surveyed in 1840. Thompson Morris laid out "Morristown" in 1880, but post office was "Gravett." To arbitrate, a drawing from a hat suggested "Omaha," for old home of a settler from Alabama. Town is now a shipping center for plants and farm products. (1966)
History
Richard Moore Cemetery
Brothers Richard and Burrell Moore and their families came to Texas in 1840. Richard, his wife Sarah, and their children moved to this area in 1846. Sarah died soon after the move and is believed to be buried here in an unmarked grave. Although the oldest marked grave dates to 1894, there is evidence of a number of earlier burials.
History
Rocky Branch
The abundance of creeks attracted travelers to this area, settled as early as the 1820s, and local tradition holds the community was named for the rocky beds of the creeks. The Rocky Branch Community grew throughout the 19th century; the earliest church, Spring Hill Primitive Baptist, was built in the 1850s.
History
Site of Chapel Hill College
Chartered 1850. Opened 1852 in brick building on land donated by Allen Urquhart, Republic of Texas surveyor. Founded by Marshall Presbytery of Cumberland Presbyterian Church, to educate ministers. Also offered courses in medicine, law and liberal arts. Closed in 1869 for lack of students and funds.
History
Site of Hussey & Logan's Mill and Gin Factory
Made machinery to process most important crops in Texas: gin saws to take seeds from cotton, for cloth-making; grist mills to grind corn into meal for bread. During Civil War, when mills or parts could not be imported, gave vital aid to Texas in the handling of cotton-- the only cash crop, called "money of the Confederacy," as it was traded in Mexico to obtain ammunition, medicines and other…
History
Site of Old Spearman's Ferry
Operated along with a mill by E. B. Smith during the Republic of Texas. Bought by John Spearman in 1850. At this site in 1870 the state authorized a toll bridge. Fees ranged from 2 cents for a sheep to $1 for an 8-horse team and loaded wagon. This was at Big Cypress Bayou on Pittsburg-Jefferson Stage Road.
History
Site of Valley View School, Site of
When Morris County was divided into school districts in 1893, this part of the county was included in the Valley View District. B. and R. E. Fomby donated 3.5 acres of land at this site for a schoolhouse, and a one-room school building was moved to the property from nearby Snow Hill. A second room was added in the early 1900s and later was replaced with another building.
History
Snow Hill Baptist Church
Settlers began moving to this area, which they called Snow Hill, by the early 1840s. In 1852, local residents organized this congregation under the direction of the Rev. Samuel Morris. The first sanctuary, which also served as a community schoolhouse, was moved to this site about 1871. The land, including the adjacent cemetery, had been donated to the congregation the previous year by J. W.
History
Wheatville and Wheatville Cemetery
Wheatville, named for pioneer settler William Wheat, began as a rest stop/general store on a main road to Jefferson (40 mi. SE) in the 1840s. During the 1850s a cotton gin, grist mill, school, and church were established here. A post office was opened in 1868. The first recorded burial in the community cemetery was that of John S. Sheppard in 1863.