Architecture
Cathalorri
Built in 1854 for merchant, R. S. Willis, by craftsman J. E. Shelton. Hand-planed siding, pegged and morticed framework. Restored in 1965 by Mr. and Mrs. R. Waldrop. Named for their two granddaughters. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966
History
Charles Bellinger Stewart
First Secretary of State in Texas (1806-1885). Came to Texas 1830. Secretary of State, Nov. 1835-Feb. 1836. Signed Declaration of Independence; helped to write Constitution of the Republic in 1836 and the State in 1845; served Montgomery County as District Attorney and three terms as State Representative.
History
Chilton-Dean House
John E. Shelton, a local homebuilder in Montgomery, built the original two-bedroom house between 1851 and 1853. In 1854, he sold it to the Reverend Thomas Chilton (1798-1854), former U.S. representative, pastor of First Baptist Church of Montgomery and close friend of David Crockett. The Chilton family sold the house in 1872. Dr. F.A.
History
Conroe
Established in the forest in 1881 as Isaac Conroe's sawmill, 2-1/2 mi. east of present site, at juncture of two railroads, first named Conroe's Switch; then Conroe's; in 1890, Conroe. Lumbering brought prosperity. Chosen county seat in 1889. The country was still so wild, a deer was shot on the Square during Courthouse construction. Incorporated, 1904.
History
Conroe Community Cemetery
This burial ground represents generations of early African American history in Conroe. Locals remember the site referred to as the 'Community Cemetery' or 'Conroe Cemetery.' The cemetery lay overgrown for decades before restoration and identification efforts were undertaken. Official records have not been located, so burial information is limited to 47 headstones identified within the boundaries.
History
Conroe Fire of 1911
On February 21, 1911 around 1:30 in the morning, a fire broke out in the Capitol Drug Store on Chambers (today North Main) Street. The blaze was well underway before it was discovered and northerly winds began sweeping the flames southeastward toward the railroad tracks.
Industry & Science
Conroe Oil Field
One of the great petroleum areas of the Texas coastal region. Opened December 13, 1931, by the discovery well of George Strake (No. 1 South Texas Development Company), about 1.4 miles west of here. Initial daily flow: 15,000,000 cubic feet of gas, along with white gasoline. Strake's second well, a 900-barrel-a-day producer, and the Heep Oil Corp. No.
History
Conroe Telephone Exchange
A long distance telephone line ran from Houston to Gilbert's Drug Store in Conroe before Mr. Gilbert and Albert Madeley began a local telephone exchange in the store in 1899. Soon after, George Madeley purchased the exchange, naming it Conroe Communication Company. He operated the company from the Madeley Building on this site.
Industry & Science
Crater Hill
Oil wells known as Madeley No. 1 and No. 2, drilled in 1933 by Standard Oil Company of Kansas, came in on fire and threatened the entire Conroe oil field. The flames reached as high as 150 feet as firefighters struggled for three months to control the inferno with water, mud, and explosives.
History
Davis Law Office
Built in 1845, this frame structure was first used for the law office and living quarters of Judge Nat Hart Davis. Many young attorneys read law here under Judge Davis' supervision. From 1848 to 1854 the structure was the meeting place for the mayor and Montgomery City Council, and later was used as a school. It served as a U. S.
History
First State Bank of Montgomery
One of first state banks in Texas. Chartered Dec. 11, 1906, it began operations in a frame building on lot south of here. Present building was finished 1908 and is now oldest existing commercial building in this once-thriving trade center. As the town's only bank, it served small farmers while cotton was king in area. Safe was once stolen and the vault still has scars from a robbery.
History
Former Homesite of Joseph L. Bennett
Joseph L. Bennett, who came to Texas in 1834 and settled in this area, joined the Texas army in early 1836. As captain of a company of local volunteers, he left this area about March 1, 1836, to lead his troops to aid Texan forces at the Alamo. Upon reaching the Colorado River he learned of the fall of the Alamo, and so discontinued the mission.
History
Frontier Colonial Home
With classic porch. Oldest house in Montgomery, built 1845 by settler from Connecticut, Dr. E. J. Arnold. Earlier home, log cabin built on this lot in 1835, continued in use as doctor's office. For several generations home of Simonton family, descendants of the builder. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964
History
Jacob Shannon Evergreen Cemetery
Born in Georgia, Jacob Montgomery Shannon (1804-1878) came to Texas at the age of 17, while the region was under Mexican rule. He married Catherine "Kittie" Yoakum in 1823, and in 1831 Shannon received a league of land in this vicinity, where he built a home and settled with his family. The community that grew up near his plantation became known as Shannon's Prairie.
History
John M. Wade
(1815-1879) Born in New York City, John Marshall Wade left his home as a youth. On the advice of Sam Houston, he came to Texas in 1835 from the Western Creek Nation in present-day Oklahoma. He joined the Texas army during the War for Independence.
History
Lake Creek Settlement
Long before the arrival of Stephen F. Austin's colonists, the Coushatta Indians traveled through the lands that would become the Lake Creek Settlement upon the Coushatta Trace, a trade road from Louisianna into Texas. Located in Austin's second colony in the Mexican State of Coahuila and Texas during the Texas Colonial Period, Lake Creek Settlement traces its origins to 1825.
History
Mabin Alexander Anderson
(Aug. 6, 1869 - Feb. 3, 1940) Upon winning election as Montgomery County Sheriff, 1902, took office in critical period of the John Winston murder trial. Success led to his serving 18 years. Married Mattie Talley. They had five children. Recorded - 1968
History
Magnolia
Built 1854 for Peter J. Willis and wife, Caroline Womack; named for their daughter, first child born here (later Mrs. Geo. Sealy, Galveston; Magnolia Petroleum Company was also named for her). Ilai and Melissa Davis bought house furnished in 1868. Occupied continuously by their descendants who have preserved much of the original furniture brought here by boat and wagon from New York. Anna D.
History
Magnolia Cemetery
This burial ground was in use for decades before Tom J. Goodson (1858-1913) and wife, Winnie May (1867-1911), deeded it to the Baptist church on May 3, 1909. Land gifts in 1945 by their son, Lester (1898-1978), and by C.H. Daniel, a local land and sawmill owner who donated land again in 1967, have allowed for expansion. The earliest marked graves belong to brothers, James A.
History
Montgomery County
Created from Washington County -- December 14, 1837 -- Organized the same year -- Named in honor of -- Richard Montgomery -- 1736-1775 -- Brigadier General in -- the Continental Army -- County seat, Montgomery, 1837 -- Conroe, since 1888
History
Montgomery County Courthouses
The Montgomery County Courthouse in the center of downtown Conroe memorializes the remarkable history of one of the oldest counties in the state of Texas. Montgomery County is the third county created by the Republic of Texas, originally part of the Washington municipality.
Military
Montgomery County, C. S. A.
A wealthy farm area in 1861. In Civil War, supported Texas with goods, funds and men. 2 companies from here were in famed Hood's Texas Brigade-- one company had only 9 men in one living by 1865. Young boys, old men and the partially disabled formed 5 home guard and state companies. The county clothed its own soldiers. The Courthouse, then on this site, had a sewing room for that work.
History
Mt. Pleasant Cemetery
Pioneers who settled this area as early as the 1850s are buried in this community cemetery. The oldest of 113 marked graves are those of Clara B. Fridge (d. 1870) and her husband William D. Fridge (d. 1872). Trustees of Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church, which once stood nearby, acquired the deed for this site in 1894 from Mr. and Mrs. O. W. Ferguson.
History
N. H. Davis Cottage
Home of Judge N. H. Davis and wife, Sarah E. White. Built 1851, from 1831 log house received as legal fee. Kitchen area attached 1880. Texanna Snow's school here 1881-1891. J. F. Davis added south wing in 1895. Still in family. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966
History
New Caney
Permanent settlement in what is now New Caney began in the 1860s. The area was first called Presswood for the pioneer family of Austin and Sarah (Waters) Presswood. The Presswoods came to Texas in 1862, purchased land in the area, and raised cattle on the open ranges.