Architecture
1927 Montague County Jail
The third structure to serve as Montague County Jail, this building was erected by the Southern Prison Company of San Antonio in 1927. The first floor contained living quarters for the jailer and his family, and six prison cells were maintained on the second floor.
History
Bob Stone Camp
In 1880, the Bob Stone Camp began in Montague County as a means for Confederate veterans of the Civil War to gather. Named in honor of deceased Col. Bob Stone, the camp hosted annual summer reunions for veterans and their families in the area. By 1893, the Bob Stone Camp joined the United Confederate Veterans (UCV), a national association.
History
Briar Creek Cemetery
Settlers began arriving in this area in increased numbers after the Civil War with the opening of rail lines and the cessation of indian conflicts. Many of the pioneers are interred here. The first burials, in the late 1870s, were for Kentucky native G.W. Simmons and for an infant of W.B. and Sarah Jane (Herndon) Dooley.
History
Brushy Cemetery
Settlement of this area began in the 1870s. By 1880 a school, church, and cemetery were established. Located on land deeded by W.W. and Mary A. Wilcox, this cemetery and the nearby church serve as reminders of the once thriving community of Brushy. The earliest documented grave in the cemetery is that of W.C. Hatfield (1846-1877).
History
Butterfield Overland Stage Line Crossing
This is the crossing used by the Southern Overland Mail Line connecting St. Louis and San Francisco with semi-weekly stage and mail service 1858-1861; The length of the route, 2795 miles, and the superior service maintained made this a pioneer enterprise of first magnitude.
History
Center Point Cemetery
First known as Fairview Graveyard, this cemetery began in the late 1800s. This hilltop was also the site of the Baptist church and school, and was a community gathering place. The church building was torn down in 1954. Land for the cemetery was deeded in 1893 by the Armstrong and Dean families.
Architecture
Central Christian Church
This sanctuary was constructed in 1894, six years after Central Christian Church was founded by The Rev. M.F. Smith. Built by craftsmen Roger Brothers and R. Chenowith, the Gothic Revival structure was one of the first of its style to appear in this area of the Texas frontier.
History
Dye Mound Cemetery
The Dye Mound Community was founded in the late 1850s and named for a trapper who owned a trading post at the foot of the hills. In 1889, Dye Mound Cemetery trustees bought more than three acres of land from S.T. Boswell and his wife. The town continued to grow and its first church building was completed in 1890.
History
Early Trails in Montague County
Lying on a direct line of travel from the United States to Mexico, California, and points west, the area now Montague County was once a network of trails. One of the first area roads forged by white men was the Chihuahua Traders Trail of 1840. Blazed by merchants hoping to open a trade route from Mexico to St. Louis, Mo.
History
Elmwood Cemetery
Early settler James W. Stallings donated the first portion of land for the establishment of a cemetery for area residents at this site in 1880. Two years later, the town of Bowie was platted near the cemetery site, along the route of the Fort Worth and Denver Railroad. The first burial at Elmwood Cemetery was that of Willie B. Nelson (d. June 10, 1880), son of Francis M. and Mary Nelson.
Industry & Science
Farmers and Merchants National Bank
The oldest financial institution in continuous operation in Nocona, the Farmers and Merchants National Bank was founded in 1905 with capital stock of $30,000. Seven directors were named at the bank's organizational meeting, and W.A. McCall (1845-1915) was named President. Upon his death, he was succeeded by his son, Cadmus McCall (1876-1953), who served for thirty-eight years.
History
First National Bank of Bowie
The oldest financial institution in Montague County, this bank was chartered on March 10, 1890, eight years after the town of Bowie was created on the line of the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway. Beginning with an initial capital of $50,000, it was the town's only surviving bank by 1931.
History
First National Bank of Saint Jo
Saint Jo Bank opened April 7, 1892, with capital of $20,000. First located on Boggess Street on the town square, the bank obtained a federal charter in 1900 and became known as First National Bank of Saint Jo. H.D. Field succeeded C.C. Hemming as President in 1907 and served in that capacity until 1946. This building was erected in 1912 and was occupied by the bank in 1913.
History
Forestburg
Established after the Civil War in memory of its pioneers who battled with the Indians, endured hardships and conquered the soil that civilization might live.
History
Head of Elm (Saint Jo)
1849-Capt. Randolph B. Marcy U.S. Government Survey Trip; 1854-Capt. John Pope Surveying proposed Federal Railroad; 1855-U.S. 2nd Cavalry Under Col. Albert Sidney Johnson en route to establish Texas Frontier forts, reported settlement here; 1857-Col. James B. Llach Heading "corn train" to Fort Belknap; 1860-First U.S. Post Office John W. Womble Post Master; 1873-Saint Jo Founded On site by Capt.
History
Head of Elm Cemetery
This cemetery is the oldest of three graveyards established in Saint Jo (formerly called Head of Elm). Local tradition claims that area settlers Enoch Willett, his daughter Mary, James Box, Aaron Anderson, and James Harris were killed in Indian raids nearby and buried here in the 1860s. The first recorded burial, however, is that of infant Charlie Wyatt in 1874.
History
Highways Paved With Gold
From the immemorial man has searched for a land where streets were paved with gold. As early as the 16th Century he was in Texas, lured by Indian reports of "Seven Cities of Gold." They never were found. But they provided the basis for legends of untold riches--stories still spun by some Texans. Surprisingly, perhaps, many of the "tall tales" are more fact than fiction.
History
Home County of Governor James V. Allred
(March 29, 1899-Sept. 24, 1959) Vigorous, forthright and humane chief executive of Texas in years 1935-1939. Born in Bowie, one of nine children of Renne and Mary Henson Allred worked in youth as a soda pop bottler, shoeshine boy, newsboy. Attended local schools, Rice University, Cumberland Law School; was in U.S. Navy during World War I.
History
Illinois Bend Memorial Cemetery
A community sprang up here about the beginning of the Civil War. It was one of two settlements, along with Burlington (Spanish Fort) sited along the Red River in Montague County. After the Civil War, nearby Red River Station became the favored crossing for Longhorn Cattle going up the Chisholm Trail. The community here was known as Maxwell, Maxville or Wardville in its early days.
History
Illinois Bend School
Located in the bend of the Red River in northeast Montague County, Illinois Bend received an official title in 1877. By the 1890s, Illinois Bend was a thriving community where cotton farming swelled the population. Many churches and schools were conducted in private homes prior to 1845 when the Masonic Grand Lodge of Texas set aside provisions to aid local lodges in erecting educational buildings.
History
Lindale Cemetery
Named for the Lindale School District No. 15, the Lindale Cemetery was established in 1880 when J. W. and A. W. Gibbins sold one acre of land for four dollars to school trustees for a burial ground. The first recorded burial on this site was that of E. T. Foster (1849-1883). Others buried here include families such as that of G. A. and Effie Griffin, who came to the Lindale Community in 1923.
History
M. Johnson Poultry Ranch
Mose Johnson was born at New Harp (Montague Co.) In 1881, his father died when Mose was three, and his mother Sarah gave him a baby chick to teach responsibility at an early age, sparking a lifelong interest in poultry. In 1904, Mose married Mabel Jones, and the following year they began the M. Johnson Poultry Ranch with five single comb white leghorns and one rooster.
History
McGrady Cemetery
Allen R. McGrady and his wife Elizabeth (Cox) moved to this area in 1859. They settled on 160 acres of land along Clear Creek. This cemetery began in the 1860s after a McGrady employee was killed by indians and buried on the family farm. One acre of land was set aside for the graveyard, which became the final resting place for many McGrady family members and neighbors.
History
Montague Catholic Cemetery
Settlers from mountain provinces of northern Italy began arriving in Montague in the early 1880s. The families of Barretto Raimondi, Jack Fenoglio, Antonio Perona and Charlie Corado were among the earliest here. By the early 1900s, there were as many as fifty Italian families. Most of these Italian immigrants were Catholic, and in 1901 they established St. John Catholic Church in Montague.
History
Montague Cemetery
The first known settlers in Montague County arrived in 1849. After the county was formed in 1857, the City of Montague was created a year later to serve as county seat. The town grew slowly at first, but by 1871 was developing rapidly and experiencing an influx of new settlers. James M. Gibbons, one of the early pioneers, came to this area from Tennessee.