History
All Saints' Church
Outgrowth of 1882 worship by laymen (mostly sheep-ranching Englishmen). Organized 1883 by The Rt. Rev. A.C. Garrett, pioneer Episcopal Bishop of Dallas, who listed this as "Grace Mission", with eight communicants. With some assistance from New York and other areas, the church was erected 1885 and consecrated as "All Saints" in 1886. Original bell is still in use.
Nature
Buffalo Trails
These tracks, originally formed in soft dirt, are taken from an ancient buffalo trail which once guided herds to water at Champion Creek (6 miles south). Thousands of buffalo running single file pounded trails like this deep into the ground. When any one route became too deep, they started another, over the years making many side by side. Trails to grazing areas radiated from watering holes.
Industry & Science
Col-Tex Refinery
In 1924, L. H. Prichard and J. Steve Anderson opened West Texas Refinery Company just west of Colorado City to process Mitchell County oil. Ownership soon changed to Standard Oil of California, which renamed the company Col-Tex Refining. From the 1930s to 1950s, the refinery operated at a full capacity of 12,000 barrels a day.
Industry & Science
Coleman Ranch Field Discovery Well
(2/3 miles southwest) Completion of the Westbrook Field T&P No. 1 oil well in 1920 signaled the beginning of commercial oil production in the Permian Basin. In the rush of oil activity that followed, the P.C. Coleman No. 1 Well was drilled on land owned by Dr. Preston C. Coleman, physician, civic leader and promoter of early oil development in Mitchell County.
Civic & Local
Colorado City Standpipe
In response to the need for a water supply system for Colorado, as this town was then known, the city's governing body issued waterwork bonds in 1884. The bond money was used to build this standpipe and to lay mains through which the city's water supply could run.
History
Colorado Opera House
Built by Colorado Opera House Company, 1899-1900; second opera house in city, then cultural center of West Texas. Staged light opera, vaudeville, silent movies (after 1911); also hosted school programs. Converted to boarding house in 1925, it returned to original use in 1971. (1972)
History
Comanche Village Massacre
In this vicinity on a bank of the Colorado October 21, 1840; A Comanche Indian village was completely destroyed and much stolen property recovered including 500 horses; 128 Indians were killed; 34 were captured; The expedition commanded by Colonel John Henry Moore; Consisted of 90 citizen volunteers; Mostly residents of Fayette County; Seventeen friendly Lipan Indians under Chiefs Castro and…
History
D.W. "80 John" Wallace
(1860 - 1939) Born of slave parents, Victoria County. At 15 became a cowboy. Rode from Old Mexico to Kansas. In 1877, came to this county, riding for Clay Mann, whose "80" brand gave him name for rest of life. On Mann's advice, bought land; past 25, and 6'3" tall, went back to school. Left Mann's for own ranch, 1891. Eventually had fine cattle and crops on 12 1/2 sections of land.
History
Dr. Preston C. Coleman
Born in Tennessee. Graduated from University of Louisville (Ky.). Coming in 1883 to Colorado City, rode horseback or by buggy to ranches in 100-mile radius, practicing here rest of his life. Religion, medicine, and education were his chief concerns.
History
E.M. Hardigree Home
Built 1890 by H.D. Shepperd. Sold, 1899 to Martin Dies, Sr. Birthplace of Martin Dies, Jr., famous U.S. Congressman. Home of colorful early-day ranch couple, G.W. and Alice Garrett Plaster, Mitchell County ranchers for over fifty years. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967.
History
First State Bank
A leader in area growth. Organized with a capital of $18,000 (1908). Farmers and cattlemen were in majority as stockholders. Presidents have included S.E. Brown, J.C. Hall, K.L. Taylor, and H.J. Mearse. In 1922 a new building was erected and in 1962 the interior was remodeled. (1969)
Architecture
John C. Prude Home
A prominent rancher and banker, John C. Prude (1856-1924) came to Mitchell County before the turn of the century. In 1907 he hired J.E. (Gene) Pond to construct this spacious brick house. The wide overhangs and other horizontal lines demonstrate the influence of Prairie Style architecture popular at the time.
History
Lone Wolf Mountain
Named for Chief of Kiowa Indians, held hostage by General Custer after the Washita campaign. Later released. Swore revenge on white man after son was killed. A clash took place on El Paso Road north of Ft. Concho, the location of Lone Wolf Mountain. Chief died 1879. (1967)
Architecture
Majors Home
One of first brick houses here. Built 1883 by Mr. and Mrs. J.P. Hodgson, son-in-law and daughter of Gen. Tom Green, Texas hero. Later the home of Winfield Scott, millionaire rancher, and W.T. Scott, a promoter, T. & P. Railroad. Owned since 1902 by Dr. Majors' Family. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966,
History
Mitchell County
Settled after Indians left Texas in 1875. One of 128 counties created (Aug. 21, 1876) from Bexar Territory covering West Texas to the Panhandle and El Paso. Named for Mitchell brothers, Asa and Eli, Texas War for Independence veterans. Organized Jan. 10, 1881, when the railroad came, making county seat Colorado City West Texas' "Mother City" and first boom town.
Architecture
Old D.N. Arnett Home
Built in 1899 by rancher F.E. McKenzie; Victorian architecture features porch columns with spool trim and decorative wood "awnings" over the windows. Sold in 1900 to A.B. Robertson, rancher; in 1912, to D.N. Arnett, retired manager of the Great Spade-Renderbrook Ranch. After his death in 1934, his son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. J.G. Merritt, made this their home.
History
R.C. (Dick) Ware
1851-1902 Born in Georgia, migrated to Texas in the 1870's and joined the Texas Rangers in 1878. Was noted for his part in gun battle with outlaw Sam Bass at Round Rock, where Bass had planned to rob the bank. It was Ware's bullet that gave Bass the wound from which he died. Was elected first sheriff of Mitchell County in 1881; retired 1892, was appointed U.S.
History
Renderbrook Ranch
Founded in buffalo and Indian days of 1870's by Taylor Barr. Owned 1882-1889 by D.H. and J.W. Snyder. They built "White House" headquarters; sold ranch, 1889, to Isaac L. Ellwood, an inventor of barbed wire, in DeKalb, Illinois. Ellwood paid in wire for Spade cattle from Donley County, to stock ranch.
History
Ruddick Park
Given to city 1929 in memory of pioneer William Penn Ruddick, farmer and dairyman, and Mrs. Ruddick. History was made here even before Ruddick arrived, however. In 1840 Colonel John Henry Moore and 90 Indian fighters wiped out a Comanche village on the Colorado nearby. The creek that runs through the park was named for Chief Lone Wolf of the Kiowa Indians, who camped along the creek banks.
Nature
Seven Wells
This area, now covered by Lake Champion, was once the site of springs that originated from underground water which also supplied Champion Creek. They were called "wells" because the Seven Spring Basins closely resembled man-made wells. Buffalo tracks cut deep into the creek banks of soft sandstone indicated this was a watering place for great herds of bison.
History
Site of Conaway School
In community opened in 1891 by settlers C.P. and Mattie Conaway. First 3-months session was held in 1896 for nine pupils from three families, in 1-room building placed by Conaway south of his ranch house. After four terms he moved school a mile north to serve a larger area. Pupils sat on homemade benches, wrote on slates, dipped drinking water from a bucket. In 1906 many farmers settled nearby.
History
Site of Town of Cuthbert
Founded in 1890 by D.T. Bozeman, teacher and merchant, on a main wagon road, 16 miles northwest of Colorado (City). Town was named for Bozeman's neighbor, T.T. Cuthbertson, first postmaster was Mrs. Bozeman. A good well by Bozeman's general store attracted freighters. First Cuthbert school opened in 1893.
History
Site of Valley View School
In 1905 nine men from the Lone Wolf Valley adopted plans for a community school. Named Valley View by S.H. Hart, it began under the direction of eighteen-year-old Aury Williams, the first teacher. Edmond Seymour donated land at this site for a one-room schoolhouse, constructed by W.D. McCarley, T.J. Coffee, A.J. Compton, J.B. Cranfill, J.H.T. Johnson, Billie Seymour and Willie Seymour.
Transport
Sites of Texas & Pacific Railway Depots
Rail service to Colorado City began on April 16, 1881, when a Texas & Pacific supply train arrived with materials for the construction of a freight and passenger depot in the town. Completed the following month at the foot of Oak Street, it was similar in style and size to A T & P Station in Fort Worth. Cattle pens were constructed later to the east of the station on land donated by Aaron W.
History
Spade Community Cemetery
This cemetery began as a family graveyard on the farm of R.F. (1868-1927) and Addie (1872-1956) Hargrove, when their infant son died in April 1898. The Hargroves gave 2.5 acres of land surrounding their son's grave to the Spade Community for cemetery and school purposes.