History
Buffalo-Ebony Cemetery
According to oral tradition, this cemetery originated when two sheep herders camping in the area died and were buried here. The oldest marked grave, that of area resident William R. Yankee, dates to 1882. Frank and Mary Crowder bought this land in 1889 and Mary later donated the burial site for a community cemetery for Buffalo/Ebony residents.
History
Caradan Cemetery
After the Civil War families settled in this area, originally called Lookout. A.F. Smith deeded two acres of land in 1889 for a public school. Arthur Nixon, the infant son of W.J. Nixon and N.E. Nixon, died later that year and was buried on school land. When the school burned in the early 1900s, it was rebuilt in another location, leaving two acres for the cemetery.
History
Center City Cemetery
(One half-mile southwest) The Center City Cemetery began with the burials in 1874 of Julia M. Bishop and M.E. Hughes, the adult and infant daughters of W.C. and Caroline Hughes, early settlers of this area. Judge L.E. Patterson purchased 2.5 acres containing the Hughes burials in 1905 for use as a community graveyard.
History
Center City Community
Settled in 1854 by the families of William Jenkins and David Morris (1811-89), this community was called "Hughes Store" after W.C. Hughes and his wife opened a store here in the 1870s. They platted a townsite in 1876, hoping to attract the railroad and to become county seat. An ancient live oak (100 yds.
Military
Confederate Veterans Memorial of Mills County
C.S.A. 1861-1865 James Thomas Guthrie Pvt 13th TX CAV Co. E David Morris Frontier Protection Wm. D Rudd Co. D 45th Reg Inf Daniel H. Trent Co. E, 31st TX Brigade TST George W. Trent Co. E, 31st TX Brigade TST Josiah G. Trent Co. E, 31st TX Brigade TST Henry A. Atkinson Sgt Co. I, 2nd Reg Ark Inf Hiram C. Dunlap Pvt Co. G 31st Reg TX Cav C. C> Chesser Cpl Co. D 16th Inf TX
History
Dam and Well
When the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railroad reached this area in 1885, company officials platted the town of Goldthwaite and built a reservoir to supply water for steam locomotives. A 25-foot-high dam near this site stored water from several springs, creating a pond that became a favorite swimming spot. The railroad dug a 50-foot-deep, spring-fed well at this site in 1906 to provide more water.
History
Goldthwaite Eagle
In 1885 William H. Thompson (1842-1896) started a weekly newspaper, "The Mountaineer", which closed but was reestablished in 1894. He sold it in 1896 to R. M. Thompson, his nephew, who renamed it "The Goldthwaite Eagle". At that time eagles still lived in the hills of Mills County. The paper was bought in 1920 by Dr. E. M. Wilson.
History
Goldthwaite Memorial Cemetery
Goldthwaite Memorial Cemetery In 1888, three local men bought land for use as a cemetery; the first burial was that of Houston Roberts. The Odd Fellows Lodge bought the grounds in 1894, adding land over the years. Watson Whittaker was killed during an 1898 train robbery and made headlines as a funeral train brought him to Mills County for burial here.
Architecture
Hamilton-Soules House
Thomas Edgar Hamilton (1878-1933) moved with his family to Mills County in the early 1890s. In 1898, he wed Nettie Ethaline Sargent (1879-1950), and the couple had four children. They made their home in Star, where he worked in a nearby family cotton gin and as a bookkeeper. He later became a banker and school board member, and was active in bringing an electric plant to the town.
History
John Williams
(February 6, 1804-August 4, 1871) One of the earliest permanent settlers of Brown and Mills counties, North Carolinian John Williams migrated to this area in 1855 and helped start the local cattle industry. Williams Ranch settlement grew up around his homestead, and Herd Pen Branch of Mullin Creek took its name from his roundup pens. Married to Annie Epley, he had five sons, William L., George W.
History
Mills County
Formed from Brown, Comanche, Hamilton and Lampasas counties. Created March 15, 1887. Organized August 30, 1887. Named in honor of John T. Mills, 1817-1871, Judge of the Third and Seventh Judicial Districts in the Republic of Texas. Goldthwaite, county seat.
Architecture
Mills County Courthouse
Mills County Courthouse Mills County was formed in 1887, and citizens built a county jail in Goldthwaite the following year. In 1889, Goldthwaite was chosen county seat, and Oscar Ruffini designed the first courthouse; it served at this site from 1890 through 1912, when it was destroyed by fire. The county hired noted San Antonio architect Henry T.
History
Mohler Cemetery
Ambrose Bull bought part of the Moses Hughes tract in Nov. 1859 and was among the first settlers in the Bulls Springs community. War of 1812 veteran George Washington Joy is thought to be the first person buried here in the 1870s. Of 83 surveyed graves, 27 are unknown, and most date from the 1870s to 1920s. In 1899, land was placed in trust with County Judge G. H. Dalton by Trustees C. B.
History
Mount Olive Primitive Baptist Church and Cemetery
Mount Olive Primitive Baptist Church was organized in July 1899 with nineteen charter members in the community of North Bennett. The new church adopted the articles of faith of the Old Harmony Baptist Association and called Elder W. W. Fowler as first pastor. The church purchased 15 acres of land in 1901 for a house of worship and cemetery.
History
North Brown Cemetery
Named for creek followed by homeseekers, this burial ground originated about 1857 when death struck at a nearby campsite. In the 1870s North Brown farming community surrounded this site. It had a school and held church services in the schoolhouse. In 1895 local leaders A. A. Boulter, G. M. O'Quin, and J. S.
History
Pleasant Grove Cemetery
Named for the live oaks banking Simms Creek, Pleasant Grove was settled by Civil War veterans from both the North and South. The farm of Tom Berry (1844-1926) of Alabama adjoined this cemetery, opened with the burial of his daughter Mary (1872-1876). Pleasant Grove Methodist Church and a community school also stood nearby.
Nature
San Saba Peak
Rising to an altitude of 1,712 feet, San Saba Peak is an oblong promontory with rimrock edges on the north and west sides. The Spanish governor of Texas, Don Juan Antonio Bustillo y Cevallos, named the ancient landmark in 1732. Tales of lost silver mines have centered on the surrounding area for centuries.
History
Site of Chesser Valley Community
Near this site is the Chesser Valley, named for early settler John Dan Chesser, whose home became the focal point of a small rural community by the same name. Missouri native John Dan Chesser (1842-1914) moved to Texas with his family in 1854 and married Tennessean Elizabeth Caroline Epley (1842-1924) in 1860.
History
The Old Town Well, Goldthwaite
Mr. Peyton died from poison fumes in digging this well; Ben Cox was also overcome; Deed H. Mayer rescued Mr. Cox and brought up Mr. Peyton's body; August 1887. In memory of these three men; Mills Co. Hist. Society
History
The Settlement of Williams Ranch
Once a prominent frontier town, Williams Ranch grew up around the homestead of cattleman John Williams (1804-1871), who came to this area in 1855. The community flourished during the Civil War (1861-1865) because of trade with Mexico and by 1874 had stores, saloons, a hotel, mill, and blacksmith shop. In 1875 Henry Ford and J. M. Parks bought most of the land in the village and platted a townsite.
History
Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church
In the 1870s and 1880s many settlers of German ancestry began arriving in this area. In 1889, under the leadership of The Rev. R. Seils, Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized. Early worship services were held in the Bismark schoolhouse (approx. 2 mi. S). Beginning with twenty-three charter members, the congregation grew steadily.