History
Arroyo de Juan Lorenzo
Name used by Spaniards of Presidio de San Saba (in existence from 1757 to 1770) for this stream now called Celery Creek. Stone to build Presidio was quarried from bluffs along the creek, and deep banks let hostile Indians approach undiscovered, to attack the Presidio, half a mile to the southwest.
History
Bank of Menard, 1903
Built of native stone for settlers then keeping money in merchants' safes or riding 60 robber-infested miles to do banking. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1964.
Military
Fort McKavett, C.S.A.
Located 21 miles west. Upon secession, Confederate cavalry occupied this post to give protection against Indians. Early in 1862 this fort confined group of Union troops from surrendered U.S. forts who were seeking to leave the state at start of Civil War. Permanent personnel left the post in April 1862 when the frontier defense line was pulled back more than 60 miles east.
Transport
Frisco Depot
Seeking a rail line to speed marketing of their livestock, residents of this area in 1909 asked the Ft. Worth & Rio Grande Railroad, a branch of the Frisco System, to extend track from Brady (40 miles northeast) to Menardville. Ranchers donated right of way, while townspeople erected this depot and shortened the town's name to "Menard". Celebrations marked the arrival of the first train, Feb.
History
Menard County
Formed from Bexar county Created: January 22, 1858 Organized: June 25, 1866 Named in honor of Michel Branamour Menard 1805-1856. Signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, member of the Texas Congress, founder of Galveston. Menard, the county seat.
History
Mission Santa Cruz de San Saba
This building was originally built as a presidio or fort and the Mission was apart from it. After the Mission was attacked and burned by Indians, all personnel moved into the presidio.
History
Paso de la Santa Cruz
(Holy Cross Ford) Spot where in 1753 Juan Galvan, Spanish explorer, put up a huge cross, to show his choice of site for Mission San Saba. Indians gathered at the cross, remaining to participate in the first known Christian worship service in this area. The mission, 2 miles east, and the river ford were both named for the cross. (1965)
History
Pegleg Crossing on the San Saba
An hourglass-shaped pass through the hills where McDougal Creek joins San Saba River. For years a favored Indian campground, it entered written history, 1732, as site of Spanish-Apache battle. Saw passage of adventurers, mustang hunters, Indian fighters, German settlers, gold-seekers. Probably named by landowner Wilhelm Harlen for one-legged land commissioner T.W. Ward.
History
Pioneer Rest Cemetery
Burial plot was begun by Adam Bradford, who buried his father, Jack Bradford, here in 1863. As the town and cemetery grew, the city bought the tract from Mrs. Gustav E. Schleicher in 1904. Fence surrounding cemetery was built of stone from the old courthouse and jail, razed in 1931, and reputed to have been in the original structure of nearby San Luis de Las Amarillas (Built by the Spanish in…
History
Puerto de Baluartes (Haven of the Strong Points)
In this pass between the hills--location of present day Menard--a site for an important Spanish mission to the Apaches was chosen in 1754 by Don Pedro de Rabago y Teran, second explorer sent on the assignment by the viceroy of New Spain. Suitable to be fortified and farmed, this pass had its mission built in 1757.
History
Real Presidio de San Saba
Originally established on the San Gabriel River as the Presidio of San Francisco Xavier in 1751 moved to the present site in 1757 as a protection to the Mission Santa Cruz de San Saba known as the Presidio de San Luis de Las Amarillas 1757-1761. After March 1761 the name was real Presidio de San Saba the stone building was completed in 1761.
Architecture
Sacred Heart Catholic Church
Roman Catholic worship services were held in Menard as early as 1872, when J.J. Callan set aside this lot of land for the construction of a Catholic Church Building. Visiting priests held occasional services in various homes and in the courthouse until 1899, when this building was constructed under the direction of the Rev. P. Beaudrillard for Sacred Heart Parish.
History
Sentry Building
Officer-of-the-day station and sentry post on north road to Fort Concho. Constructed 1852, by 8th Infantry; Fort McKavett provided protection for settlers from Indians. Guadalupe River cypress with native limestone. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1968
Military
Site of Fort McKavett
Established March 14, 1852 by the United States war department as a protection to frontier settlers against hostile Indians. Named in honor of Captain Henry McKavett, who fell at the Battle of Monterrey, September 21, 1846. Evacuated by federal troops, March 22, 1859. Reoccupied April 1, 1868. Abandoned June 30, 1883.
History
Site of Mission Santa Cruz de San Saba
Founded among the Lipan Apache Indians by Franciscan Missionaries in 1757 through the financial aid of the Count of Regla. Sacked and left in ruins by the Comanches in 1758. Here perished Padres Alonso Giraldo de Terreros and Jose Santiesteban, martyrs to the Christian cause.
Industry & Science
The Ditch
The Vaughn Agricultural and Mechanical Canal Company was chartered in 1874 by William J. Vaughn, President; William Tipton, Director; and James H. Comstock, Director and Secretary. Major H.M. Holmes was appointed attorney. Irrigation for 2,000 acres of valley land and power for grist mills are furnished by gravity flow from San Saba River.