History
Saint Mary's Church of the Assumption
Founded in 1869, St. Mary's Church of the Assumption is the oldest Catholic parish in Waco. Led by Father Bussant, the congregation erected its first sanctuary in 1870 at the corner of 6th and Washington streets. A second structure, built in 1879 at 9th and Washington streets, was replaced in 1886. A new building was completed at this site in 1942.
History
Saint Paul's Church of Gerald
German farmers began settling in this region in the late 1880s. For many years, they worshiped in the schoolhouse. Gerald post office was opened in 1888. The town had a blacksmith shop, general store, drugstore, and cotton gin by 1900. In that year 16 men organized St. Paul's Evangelical Congregation.
History
Samuel Johan Forsgard
Samuel Johan Forsgard Born in Klockergarden, Forserum, Sweden, Samuel Johan Forsgard (1828-1912) came to Texas in 1855 during the first wave of Swedish immigration to Texas. In 1857, he married Mary C. Johnson (1827-1897) in Austin and they moved to Waco to make a home.
History
Sarah Ann Vouchere Walker
Widow of Jacob Walker, said to have been last man to die in the Alamo. Born in Louisiana in 1811. Married and came to Texas 1829, and to this area 1844. Received Republic of Texas Land Grant No. 1, Sabine County, a league and labor E. of the Brazos. Once rode horseback 300 mi. to warn Gen. Sam Houston of an impending Indian attack. Her burial site, about 100 ft.
History
Sheppard "Shep" Mullens
Following the American Civil War and Emancipation of slaves in 1865, it was not until 1867 that African Americans in Texas were able to uniformly register to vote, following the ratification of the 15th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.
History
Site of Old Texas Cotton Palace
Founded in 1894, when Waco was cotton capital of the South. After first exposition to mark end of cotton season, original palace burned; was rebuilt, 1909. Exposition each November had grand royal coronation; nobility came from Texas cities, other states and foreign countries.
History
Site of Torrey's Trading Post
Established in 1843 by John F. Torrey and brothers and managed by George Barnard the post was on the line separating the Indian and white settlements; Here the Indians signed treaties and received presents until 1854 when they were settled on reservations on the Upper Brazos.
History
Site of Waco Indian Village
On this site stood the village of a semi-civilized tribe, the Waco Indians who made a treaty with Stephen F. Austin in 1824 but were driven out by Comanches about 1837. From them the city of Waco, laid out by Major George B. Erath in 1849, takes its name.
Architecture
St. James United Methodist Church
One of Waco's oldest churches, St.James Methodist Church was organized in 1874 by Father Anderson Brack (d. 1905). From the first worship services, conducted in a house near the Brazos River that served as a school for the black community, the congregation built several sanctuaries before completing work on this building in 1924.
History
St. Martin Cemetery
A wagon train of German Catholic settlers from Teutopolis, Illinois arrived in this area on November 11, 1874, the feast day of St. Martin of Tours. That year, they built and dedicated a log cabin church to St. Martin. The John Deiterman family donated five acres for the church and two for a cemetery. Other German, Czech and Moravian families soon joined the farming community.
Architecture
Stratton-Stricker Building
In 1922, business partners Golladay Stratton, Sr. and Henry J. Stricker purchased land for their expanding furniture company. Architect Henry L. Spencer designed this 1923 neoclassical revival style building with general contractor S.B. Swigert construction.
History
Texas Christian University
A hundred people--faculty and students of Add-Ran Christian University (situated 1876-1895 at Thorp Spring)--reached Waco by train and marched 3 miles to this site on Christmas Eve 1895. By invitation, Add-Ran began to operate that day in unfinished building of Waco Female College, which had given up its charter after functioning since 1857. Add-Ran in 1902 became Texas Christian University.
Museums & Art
The Armstrong Browning Library
Located here on the Baylor University campus in a magnificent building created especially for it is the world's largest collection of books, manuscripts, artworks and memorabilia pertaining to the married English poets Robert Browning (1812-1889) and Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1806-1861). This literary resource was established through the dedicated efforts of Baylor English professor Dr.
Architecture
The Cottonland Castle
Stone contractor John Tennant began this house in 1890, when Waco's cotton-based economy flourished. In 1906 Tennant sold the structure to Ripley Hanrick, a cotton broker, but it remained unfinished. With plans drawn by architect Roy Lane (1884-1956), "The Castle" was eventually completed in 1913 as a residence for businessman Alfred Abeel (1845-1922).
History
The Courthouses of McLennan County
In January 1850, the Texas Legislature created McLennan County from portions of Robertson and Milam counties, naming it for Neil McLennan, who had settled along the South Bosque River. In September of that year, the Commissioners Court began preparations for constructing a two-story log court building, which was completed in August 1851. During construction, county judge R.E.B.
History
The Crash at Crush
A head-on collision between two locomotives was staged on Sept. 15, 1896, as a publicity stunt for the Missouri, Kansas & Texas railroad. Over 30,000 spectators gathered at the crash site, named "crush" for MKT passenger agent William G. Crush, who conceived the idea. About 4 p.m. the trains were sent speeding toward each other.
History
The George Butler - Jesse Harrison House
One of first brick houses east of Brazos River. Built by land buyer Butler and his wife Emiline, in 1869--before east side became a part of Waco in 1871. Historic guests here have included Governor Pat Neff.
History
The Grange in Texas
The Grange, also known as the Order of Patrons of Husbandry, was a nonpartisan national organization comprised of farmers to establish economic independence, socialization and greater educational opportunities for families. They garnered political attention and lobbied for the advancement and unity of America's agricultural sector. The first Texas Grange organized at Salado in 1873 under R.A.
History
The Howard House
A resident of Moody when the town was founded in 1881, Charles Howard (1862-1915) operated a general store and became a prosperous businessman. He built this elegant residence for his family in 1900. A St. Louis architectural firm drew the house plans and local contractor Elmo Routh supervised the construction. The Queen Anne detailing includes a turret and decorative fish scale shingling.
History
The Isaac Jackson Teague Property
Born in Hopkins County, Texas, Isaac Jackson Teague (1865-1947) married Mariel Susan Abbott in 1889. In 1893 he purchased this property and in 1899 hired local contractor Elmo Routh to build this residence for his large family. Lumber for the simple Victorian farmhouse was shipped here from Bartlett on the Santa Fe Railroad. Owned in 1976 by Teague's son Dayton M.
History
The Ross Oak
This large Live Oak tree is named for the Pioneer family of Shapley Prince Ross (1811-89), who camped here overnight while migrating from Missouri in 1839. They returned to this area in 1848,with Ross at the head of a Texas Ranger Company. When Waco was founded in 1849, Ross bought the land around the Oak Tree. He became postmaster, ferryman,and hotel owner in the town.
History
The Sturgis House
Built 1887 by James N. Harris in a refined Victorian style. Bricks handmade from Brazos River sand are used throughout entire structure and servant's quarters. Walls are 13-inch, solid, with interior plaster directly applied. Roof is the original. Bought 1912 by Mr. and Mrs. James H. Sturgis, whose children James, Jr., Carroll W., and Anna Elizabeth were brought up here.
Museums & Art
The Texas Collection
Established in 1923 when Dr. Kenneth Hazen Aynesworth donated books to Baylor University, the Texas Collection is a library and archives research center holding a vast compilation of materials about Texas. Dr. Aynesworth (1873-1944) was born in Florence (Williamson Co.) and attended Baylor before graduating from the University of Texas medical school in Galveston. Dr.
History
The Texas Rangers and the Fence Cutters
Before 1875 in Texas, cattle roamed over thousands of acres of public land, and free grazing became a tradition. After 1875, however, an increasing farm populace tended to protect crops and other property with barbed wire fences which were resented by stockraisers.
History
The Waco Suspension Bridge
In 1866 the Waco Bridge Company was granted a 25 year charter to build a toll bridge here. The charter guaranteed that no other bridge or ferry could be built within five miles. Construction began in 1868 and, after much financial difficulty, was finished in 1870. Bridge traffic included wagons, pedestrians, and cattle herds. Special rates were given to heavy users.