History
Forsgard House
Forsgard House Samuel Johan Forsgard (d. 1912) came to Texas from Sweden in 1855. Two years later, he married Mary C. Johnson (or Jonsson) (d. 1897) and moved to Waco. Their son, Edward Ferdinant "Fuzzy" (1870-1941), married Anna Marie Weaver (1877-1963), and he and his father designed this home, which was built by Swedish carpenters and completed in 1908.
History
Friedens Cemetery
In 1903, eight local families formed a German Lutheran Church, later known as Friedens Evangelical and Reformed United Church of Christ. Associated with the church, a burial ground was also established on this property, which was donated by Philip Engelke. Although the church moved to Riesel from this location in 1908, parishioners and others continued to use this cemetery.
History
Friedens Evangelical and Reformed United Church of Christ
German immigrants helped settle Riesel in the late 19th century. In July 1903, eight families organized the Friedens (Peace) Church. After meeting in a schoolhouse, the congregation built its own sanctuary two miles east of riesel (Present Friedens Cemetery). Pastors H. J. Leemhuis and H.S. Schulz officiated a dedication service in April 1904.
History
General Richard Harrison
(1821-1876) One of a trio of brothers--great grand-nephews of U.S. president WM. Henry Harrison--who all gained rank of general in the Confederate Army during the Civil War. Richard Harrison was a physician and statesman prior to Army service. Won his general's commission in Jan. 1865 in Mississippi. Moved to Texas, 1866, settling near older brother, Gen. Jas. E., and younger brother, Gen. Thos.
Industry & Science
George W. Carroll Science Hall
GEORGE W. CARROLL SCIENCE HALL CARROLL SCIENCE HALL WAS NAMED IN HONOR OF BUSINESSMAN AND PHILANTHROPIST GEORGE WASHINGTON CARROLL, WHO GAVE TWO SEPARATE DONATIONS OF $60,000 AND $15,000 TO BAYLOR UNIVERSITY FOR THE CONSTRUCTION OF A HALL DEVOTED TO SCIENCE. IN 1902, THE UNIVERSITY'S SENIOR CLASS 'AFFECTIONATELY DEDICATED' THE YEARBOOK TO CARROLL, IN RECOGNITION OF HIS DONATION.
History
Gerald-Harris Shooting
(November 19, 1897) James W. Harris (1863-1897), editor of Waco's "Time -Herald" and Judge George Bruce Gerald (1836-1914) argued over an article the Judge wrote. It supported William Cowper Brann's controversial magazine, "The Iconoclast", which denounced, among other things, Baptists and Baylor University.
Architecture
Glenn and Mary Gulledge Crain House
Glenn and Mary Gulledge Crain House Glenn Crain (1869-1949) moved to McGregor with his family prior to 1886, when his father was elected the city's first mayor. Crain began selling insurance and, in 1890, married Mary E. Gulledge (1868-1960). They hired Charles Walsh to build this home in 1892.
History
Governor Patrick Morris Neff
Born at nearby McGregor, Texas, Pat M. Neff was the ninth child of Noah and Isabella (Shepherd) Neff. He was educated at Baylor University and the University of Texas Law School. As a young Waco lawyer, Neff was elected to the Texas House of Representatives, where he served three terms, 1899-1903, the last as Speaker of the House. He later held the office of McLennan County Attorney, 1906-12.
History
Grand Lodge of Texas, A.F. & A.M.
The first attempt to establish freemasonry in Texas occurred in 1828 when Stephen F. Austin and a group of Masons petitioned the Mexican National Grand Lodge for a Lodge Charter. Due to the political upheaval of the time, nothing became of the petition. Five Master Masons met in Brazoria in March 1835 and sent a petition to Grand Master John H.
History
Greenwood Cemetery
The city of Waco established Greenwood Cemetery in 1875, with equal acreage allocated for the White and Black communities. In the 1930s, Mrs. Emma Norwood and others began the the care now given this part of by People's Cemetery Association. Church, Masonic, and political leaders lie here beside people from many walks of life.
History
Groppe Barn
In 1874, German immigrant August Groppe, Sr., purchased this land and began a family farm. Groppe, a founder of West's German community, bought additional farmland in 1883 and hired local builder Joseph Huber to construct this barn in 1886.
History
Groppe Building
One of the first German settlers in the area, August Groppe, Sr. (1840-1919) had this structure built in 1892, the year the town of West was incorporated. A prominent cotton farmer and businessman. Groppe hired local brickmasons and used bricks that were made near West to construct the first brick building in the town's business district.
History
H. J. and Cora Hudson House
Herbert James Hudson (1849-1935), son of Philip S. and Ellen (Robertson) Hudson, was born in Cambridge, England, on April 24, 1849. After receiving a classical education in Latin and Greek at a British boarding school, and a customary tour of the continent, Hudson immigrated to the United States in 1870. He briefly lived as a sheep farmer in Nebraska before moving to Philadelphia.
History
Hallie Earle, M.D.
Harriet (Hallie) Earle was born on her family's ranch near Waco. She earned undergraduate and graduate degrees from Baylor University, and a medical degree from Baylor College of medicine. In 1907 Dr. Earle became the first licensed female physician in McLennan county and had her own practice in Waco from 1915 to 1948. After her retirement she farmed and was a weather observer for the U.S.
History
Harris Creek Cemetery
The Haley, Crain, Caufield, and Jones Families were the first to arrive in this area in the 1850s. They established the community of Harris Creek, which takes its name from the nearby water source. This cemetery marks the burial place of those early settlers and others who have lived in the community since its founding.
History
Hebrew Rest
Jews settled in Waco in the 1850s. In 1869 the Hebrew Benevolent Association (HBA) was formed to assist the needy and provide interment in accordance with the laws and rites of Judaism. That year, the HBA acquired this property as a Jewish burial ground. It was named Hebrews' Rest. The first burial was of an 18-month old infant, Bessee Lyans, in July 1869.
History
Hill House
George Hill (1878-1958) came to Texas from Tennessee as a child. His family settled in Moody and he worked on family farm. He began working in a local hardware store when he was nineteen and later purchased the store. Hill had this home built for his family in 1904 and sold it to his brother Charles in 1910.
History
Hoyle Cabin
Originally situated on and patented in Rusk County about 1853 to Matilda Holye (later Mrs. Purviance Williams). Built 1858 of hand-hewn and saw-notched native yellow pine logs. After 1880, cabin was owned for many years by family of Eli Benjamin (1845-1911) and Julia Kilgore Snelgrove (1850-1928) and their son John B. and his wife Georgia Ann Waldrop Snelgrove.
History
Jacob De Cordova
Born to a Jewish family in Spanishtown, Jamaica, British West Indies, Jacob De Cordova immigrated to Philadelphia about 1830. After a brief return to Jamaica where he founded a newspaper, he became engaged in trade between New Orleans and Texas. He and his brother Phineas (1819-1903) opened a shop in Galveston in 1837, then Jacob moved to Houston to establish a highly successful land agency.
Military
Joel Burditt Crain
Serving as sergeant-major of Gen. Sam Houston's victorious army, accepted sword of Gen. Santa Anna's Chief of Staff, Almonte, in Texas War for Independence. Moved to Texas from Tennessee in 1834. Lived in San Augustine, Nacogdoches, Rusk,and McLennan couties. Received headright (a league and labor) plus 960 acres of land for military service. Married daughter of Gen.
History
John Silas Edens
Arkansas native John Silas Edens (b. December 15, 1820) arrived in present-day Houston County, Texs, in 1831. He served in the Republic of Texas army in 1836 then joined the Texas Rangers and participated in several Indian campaigns in 1841. He returned to farm and ranch in Houston County where he and his first wife Amanda Adams reared a family of 7 children.
Architecture
Johnson-Taylor House
Erected 1873-79 by merchant Sanford Taylor as a simple, two-story pink brick residence, this house acquired its grand manner after sale (1912) to P.G. and Eva Carter Taylor. The Taylors made basic architectural changes,adding north wing and portico with handsome french doors, fan lights with fine tracery, and other embellishments.
Entertainment & Sports
Katy Park
At the turn of the 20th century, baseball fever captivated the City of Waco, and leaders set their sights on providing a ballpark for a potential hometown team. They chose farming lot #13 a non-descript piece of land owned by local businessman Alfred Abeel (1836-1922) on the corner of Eighth Street and Webster Avenue, near the MKT rail line.
History
Kellum Family Cemetery
A native of Virginia, Edward Kellum (1787-1863) was a soldier in the Tennessee Militia during the War of 1812. He married Karen H. Tabor in November 1812, and they moved to Alabama and Mississippi before eventually settling in McLennan County, Texas, in 1854. The parents of ten children,the Kellums bought land along the Brazos River and established a farm.
History
Kuykendall House
In 1881 Dr. P.M. Kuykendall (b. 1855) bought this land which once belonged to Joseph Naler. This Victorian residence with Queen Anne style detailing and fish scale shingling was built in 1900 using plans ordered from a St. Louis architect. A prominent physician, Dr. Kuykendall helped found Moody Masonic Lodge and served on the Jefferson Academy Board.