History
1870s Cowboy-Indian Fight
Near here in 1874 or 1875, 18 Indians attacked W.B. Brown and two comrades, spooking one horse and capturing bedrolls and grub, but sparing the men, who thankfully escaped. In the 1870s, when they were being driven off the range, capture of supplies meant victory to the Indians. (1973)
Military
Curtis Airfield
Named for Harry Lamar Curtis, mayor of Brady who instigated offer of this field to the United States government during World War II. Born 1903 in Dallas, H.L. Curtis was educated at the University of Dallas, Southern Methodist University, and Texas A&M. He married (1929) Marjorie McCall of Brady and moved here after business successes in Dallas.
History
Fife Cemetery
Fife Cemetery Alexander (d. 1896) and Isabella (d. 1898) Mitchell came to this area in 1878 with their children. Alex, a surveyor, farmed and ranched. Daughter Elizabeth Mitchell Bradley, a widow, reared her sons on her parents' homesite and, in 1900, deeded the original one acre for the family cemetery, where her parents' graves bear the earliest dates.
Military
General Ben McCulloch, C.S.A.
(1811-1862) Distinguished Ranger, frontier surveyor, Indian fighter, lawman, statesman and military commander. Born in Tennessee. Followed David Crockett to Texas to fight in War for Independence. Commanded one of the "Twin Sisters" cannon in the Battle of San Jacinto, April 21, 1836. Served in the Congress of the Republic of Texas.
Nature
Geographic Center of Texas
Five miles northwest is the geographic center of Texas, an imaginary point whose coordinates divide the state into four equal areas. In straight-line distance it is 437 miles from the state's most westerly point on the Rio Grande River above El Paso, 412 miles from the most northerly point in the northwest corner of the Panhandle near Texline, 401 miles from the most southerly point on the Rio…
History
Lohn Cemetery
Lohn Cemetery German native Boi Albert Cornils immigrated as a young adult to this area in 1884 and wed another young immigrant, Bertha Lembke. The couple settled on ranchland east of Lohn and reared five children. In 1896, they deeded five acres for a free public school adjacent to a community burial ground on their property.
History
McCulloch County
Created Aug. 27, 1856. One of 128 counties formed from Bexar County that extended from the Rio Grande to the Panhandle, and as far west as El Paso. Named for Texas hero, Ben McCulloch, who fought in Texas Revolution, Indian, Mexican and Civil Wars. Indian and frontier hazards made growth slow and 20 years passed before buffalo were hunted off and ranches established. Organized Aug.
Architecture
McCulloch County Courthouse
County organized 1876, with Brady as county seat; first courthouse built 1879. Present courthouse (second and on same site) completed 1900; Martin and Moodie, contractors, for "turn key" construction. Local labor and materials were used as far as practical. Native sandstone from local quarries. Modified Roman architecture employing arch vault.
Architecture
McCulloch County Jail
Constructed in 1909-1910, this was the second building to serve as the McCulloch County Jail. This red brick Romanesque Revival style edifice was built by the Southern Structural Steel Co. of San Antonio. Sheriff T.L. Sansom was the first occupant of the first floor jailer's quarters. The second and third floors contained prisoners' cells.
Military
Onion Creek Indian Fight
One night in 1866, five men from Richland Springs (about 25 mi. NE) recovered stolen horses from Indians camped near here. A metal arrow hit a Mr. Lafferty, slid halfway around his skull, was cut out with a pocket knife, and Lafferty survived. The grave of an Indian casualty is about 30 yards north. (1973)
History
Rochelle Cemetery
E.E. Willoughby (1853-1935), a cattleman from Tarrant County, moved to Rochelle (then about 1.5 mi. SW) in 1883. He acquired land here in 1886 along the Brady-San Saba Road. In 1889 he donated two acres near this site for the community's school and church building, moved here from its original 1886 site about one mile south.
Transport
Rochelle Depot
J.F. Crew of Ohio purchased land here in 1902 and later moved to McCulloch County and founded the settlement of Rochelle. When the Fort Worth and Rio Grande Railroad built a line from Brownwood to Brady in 1902-03, he was successful in having it routed through Rochelle. Later part of the Santa Fe system, the railroad played an important role in the area's early growth and agricultural development.
Military
Site of Camp San Saba
Here was stationed, 1862-1864, Captian W. G. O'Brien's Company of mounted volunteers a unit of the frontier regiment organized to protect the frontier against Indians. The regiment in 1864 became the Forty-sixth Texas Cavalry in the Confederate Army.
Military
Site of Indian Battle
In this vicinity On November 21, 1831 James Bowie, Rezin P. Bowie, David Buchanan, Cephas D. Hamm, Matthew Doyle, Jesse Wallace, Thomas McCaslin, Robert Armstrong, James Coryell with two servants, Charles and Gonzales, held at bay for a day and a night, 164 Caddos and Lipans. After 80 warriors had been killed, the Indians withdrew Erected by the State of Texas 1936
Military
Soldier's Waterhole
U.S. soldiers under command of Robert E. Lee used this site while traveling the nearby military road and patroling this area for Indians. West bound immigrants also camped here prior to the Civil War; Here 27 Indians surprised and massacred 18 men, women and children burned their wagons and stole their horses. 1850; 1869.
History
Swedish Free Mission Church
Swedes began settling in the western part of McCulloch County in 1907. A Sunday school was begun that year, and the families met for worship in homes. A church congregation was formally organized in 1910 with fifteen charter members. A Ladies Aid Society was formed in 1911. By 1913 a church building had been completed. Worship services were conducted in the Swedish language until the 1940s.
Transport
Union Passenger Depot
The Fort Worth and Rio Grande Railway built the first rail line into Brady in 1903. Eight years later the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railroad constructed a second line into town. This depot, built in 1911, was designed for passenger use for both railways. After 1946, it also was used for freight service.
History
Voca Waterwheel Mill
Built 1876, by H.A. Chadwick and sons, William and Milam, who constructed other mills in the region. Water was diverted from river by a still-visible, 1300-yard millrace. Originally used to grind wheat and corn; a saw was soon added to provide "rawhide" lumber. First cotton gin in the county, powered by this wheel and producing 3 bales per day, was constructed in early 1880s.
History
Western Trail
Through this gap in hills called "Brady Mountains" passed the western cattle trail, also known as "Dodge City Trail", "Fort Griffin Trail", or "The Beef Trail". Said to have originated in 1876, this was the last of the old-time Texas cattle trails, those east of here having been closed by farmers. Large numbers of cattle were driven up this trail 1876 to 1886--over 200,000 head in 1881 alone.