History
California Camp
After founding of Fort Duncan (2.5 blocks south) in 1849, this site was a camp ground and staging area for California emigrants. These were forty-niners going through Mexico via Saltillo and Parras either to Chihuahua and Gila River or to Mazatlan to finish the journey by sea. Paso del Aguila (2 miles downstream) had sprung up in 1848 on an old smugglers' trail.
History
Camp Rabb and Fort Duncan, C.S.A.
Camp Rabb, 15 miles northeast, was one of 18 Confederate outposts placed a day's horseback ride apart, from Red River to Rio Grande, to prevent Indian attacks and Federal invasion. Named for captain in Frontier Regiment, Texas Cavalry; guarded ford on the Cotton Road, used as major Southern supply line. Fort Duncan, at this site, a former U.S.
Industry & Science
Eagle Pass Coal Mines
Although the Indian, Spanish, and early anglo-American inhabitants knew of this area's large bituminous coal deposits, commercial mining did not begin until 1885, when F. H. Hartz opened a hillside mine near the Rio Grande. For a time, it was the largest producing mine in Texas, but damage from an 1892 fire caused it to close several years later.
Architecture
Eagle Pass Post Office
The first Eagle Pass Post Office opened in 1849, the same year Fort Duncan was established. The post office changed locations several times before 1912, when this building, designed by U.S. Postal Service supervising architect James K. Taylor, was completed. When a new postal facility opened in 1964, this building was converted for use as a public library.
History
Eagle Pass, C.S.A.
A major terminus of the Cotton Road, customhouse and Confederate port of entry into Mexico 1863-65 when Union forces held lower Rio Grande. Cotton was "lifeblood of the South," Texas its lifeline and storehouse west of the Mississippi.
Military
Fort Duncan
Established by Captain S. Burbank, First U. S. Infantry, March 27, 1849 as a protection to Western communication. Garrisoned by federal troops until March 20, 1861 and since 1868. Now known as Camp Eagle Pass. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
Military
Fort Duncan
Established March 27, 1849, by Capt. Sidney Burbank with Companies A, B, and F, First U.S. Infantry. Name honors Col. James Duncan, a hero of the Mexican War. Fort served as a frontier outpost near trail of California emigrants; base of operations against hostile Lipan Apache Indians. In 1851 it became the headquarters of the First Infantry.
History
Jesse Sumpter
Pioneer citizen, soldier, and law officer. Served in D Co., 1st infantry on Texas Frontier, 1848-1852. Among first troops to be stationed at Fort Duncan. Stayed in Eagle Pass after discharge in 1852. Worked as saloon keeper, mustang hunter, rancher, and as deputy sheriff. In Civil War, he was a deputy customs collector for the confederacy.
History
Maverick County
Created Feb. 2, 1856, from Kinney county. Organized July 13, 1871. Named for Texas Revolution veteran, signer of declaration of Independence, Texas Legislator Samuel A. Maverick (1803-1870). The county centers in an area of dairies, farming, ranching. Hard-travelled El Camino Real (path into Texas History for Louis St.
History
Maverick County Courthouse
A landmark of the Texas-Mexico border area. Built 1884-85, during term of county Judge Thomas Lamb, on site chosen by citizens' committee, who donated $800 toward purchase of land from R.E. Moffit. Architects: Wahrenberger and Beckman, San Antonio. Contractor: A local builder, William Hausser (1847-1919). Courthouse and a jail were erected at total cost of $20,489.
History
S. P. Simpson, Jr., House
Built by Samuel Pruit Simpson, Jr. (1871-1924), pioneer banker and civic leader who came to Eagle Pass from Lexington, KY., in 1883. Beginning 1889, he was associated with city's first bank, founded by his father. On December 8, 1897, he married Elisa Dolch (1876-1965) in Episcopal Church of the Redeemer, where he was later a vestryman.
Military
Shelby's Flag Burial
The last flag to fly over an organized Confederate force was buried in the river near this spot on July 4, 1865, by Gen. Jos. O. Shelby, of Missouri. His un-surrendered cavalry brigade, with arms, cannon and ragged battle flags, marched across Texas three months after Lee's surrender, to enter Mexico in the hope to continue their fight.
History
The Lee Building
Constructed before 1875, as quarters for ordnance sergeant. Leased in 1948 by Maverick County Historical Society under leadership of Mmes. C. O. Ostrom, A. H. Evans, S. P. Simpson. After restoration, it was dedicated during Eagle Pass Centennial Celebration, Oct. 1949, for use as a museum and meeting hall. Name honors Robert E. Lee, who visited here 1860 as commander U.S.