History
The Thurman Place
One of oldest homes in city. Begun about 1857 while site was owned by "Major" P. M. Graham, land dealer, surveyor, and merchant, who was original clerk of Cass County (then encompassing town of Jefferson), 1846; postmaster, 1849. The place was bought 1859 by merchant Theo Nichols, who in 1882 gave it to his daughter, Mrs. Samuel Thurman.
History
Todd-Terhune Residence
In 1856 or 1857 C. S. Sabine built this Greek revival house with its large central hallway. In 1858 the residence was sold to District Judge William S. Todd (1808-1864), who attended the Secession convention of 1861. The dwelling was occupied from 1869 to 1912 by the family of Dr. Archibald A. Terhune (1825-1891), popular local physician.
History
Torrans-Clopton-Spellings House
William P. Torrans (1818-1881) built this Greek revival structure on Lafayette Street in the 1860s. It was purchased in 1877 by druggist E. W. Taylor (b. 1838), a former mayor of Jefferson, and Anna Matilda Clopton (1838-1916), wife of Dr. Albert G. Clopton (1838-1916), who had his office here. After 1882 the residence was moved to this site by Soloman A.
History
Trammel's Trace
Traces began as foot paths used by the Indians to mark their trails through wilderness areas. They later were used by surveyors in mapping early land grants. In 1824 Nicholas Trammel (1780-1852), a government scout, began opening up the trace that now bears his name. Trammel's Trace was, for many years, an important route of immigration into Texas.
History
Vernon Dalhart
(April 6, 1881 - September 15, 1948) Born in Jefferson, Vernon Dalhart (Marion Try Slaughter II) began his career here at Kahn Saloon, starred later in operas in New York, and recorded for Edison's talking machine. His rendition of "The Prisoner's Song" (1924) was the first folk ballad to sell over a million records, and led to the rise of country music as an American art form.
History
W. S. Terry Home
Once the residence of B. J. Terry, Grand Master of Masonic Lodge of Texas. Built before 1850. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966
History
William Clark Residence
The original two rooms of this house, located in the back, are believed to have been built before 1852 by Jefferson's founder Allen Urquhart (1792-1866). Three rooms, constructed in the front, were joined to the earlier structure by William Clark (1848-1928), a local merchant who bought the house in 1885.