Architecture
Arnett House
First built as a wedding gift for J. Lanham and Glenn (Pratt) Higginbotham in 1915, the Arnett House became the longtime home of the family of Alice (Ford) and Sam C. Arnett, pioneer rancher and banker. For decades, Arnett served as a major businessman and leader in the development of Lubbock. In 1956, Arnett passed away, and his son, Dr. Sam C. Arnett Jr.
History
Bacon Home
This two-story brick home was built in 1916 for Warren A. Bacon (1871-1938), a prominent Lubbock business and civic leader, and his wife Myrta (Hunt) (1878-1967), daughter of a pioneer area family. The Bacon residence was constructed from plans of W. M. Rice, a noted Amarillo architect, and was located in the Overton Addition, the first residential addition to the original townsite of Lubbock.
History
Becton Cemetery
Tennessee native Abner M. Becton moved to the Estacado area in the late 1890s. There, he met and wed Cornelia Bryant. The couple moved in 1898 to land in this area, where W.E. Bledsoe had already established a ranch. The small community became known as Becton, and this site served as a public cemetery.
History
Bledsoe Santa Fe Depot
A relic from one of America's last frontiers. Built in 1925 on range land of newly organized Cochran County, at Bledsoe, this structure not only served its purpose as a railroad station, but was a meeting hall for churches and social groups. Sheepherders and cowboys would bed down on its floor when detained at the station in shipping season.
History
Carlisle Cemetery
The pioneer Carlisle community was named for W. Augustus "Uncle Gus" Carlisle (1849-1920), who settled here with his wife Lizzie (Spikes) (d. 1914) in 1890. A cattleman and a prominent landowner, Carlisle made significant contributions to the development of the area, including a donation of land for a school. In 1918 he set aside this part of his property for use as a public cemetery.
History
Citizens National Bank of Lubbock
The oldest national bank in continuous operation in Lubbock. When this bank was founded on May 5, 1906 (under National Bank Charter No. 8208), Lubbock was a town of 1,500. Citizens National was one of three pioneer banks started 1900-1910 in Lubbock. On opening day, capital stock was $50,000, deposits $13,275, and loans $4,863. First president was George C. Wolffarth; Cashier was A.G. Hunt.
History
City of Lubbock Cemetery
In March 1892, a delegation of Lubbock residents requested five acres of pasture land from rancher H.M. Bandy for use as a cemetery. That same month, they held the first burial, that of a Cochran County cowboy, Henry Jenkins, who died of pneumonia while staying at a local hotel. The first Lubbock resident buried at the city cemetery was Joseph R. Coleman, who died in June 1892.
History
Colonel T. S. Lubbock and Texas in the Civil War
(1817-1862) South Carolinian. Came to Texas 1835. Indian fighter, soldier, businessman. Member Secession Convention. Went to Virginia hoping to fight for South in first battle of war. Commended for valuable volunteer service as scout and reporting enemy troop positions in First Battle of Manassas. Sent to Texas to raise regiment for Army of Virginia.
History
Congressman George Mahon
George Herman Mahon (1900-1985) was born in Claiborne Parish, Louisiana, to John Kirkpatrick and Lola Willis (Brown) Mahon. In 1908, the family moved to Loraine (Mitchell County), Texas, where George grew up on a cotton farm and graduated from Loraine High School.
History
Cora Vance and Vance Hatchery
Born in Center, Shelby County, on October 26, 1905, hatchery industry pioneer Cora Lee Stapleton was the daughter of Sidney Clay and Kathleen (Gathwright) Stapleton. Growing up on the family farm, she was fascinated by the baby chicks and egg production. Cora met Clinton 'Turk' Vance in the Hardy community, ten miles north of Shallowater. They married on October 19, 1929.
History
Coronado High School
Opened in 1965. Named for Francisco Vasquez de Coronado, the Spanish explorer who, guided by an Indian known as "The Turk", traversed the Llano Estacado in search of the fabled "city" of Gran Quivira in 1541. The expedition wandered for many days through western Texas, possibly passing the vicinity of Lubbock. 1969
History
County Line Community
In 1901, W.G. Murray, John H. Pettit and the J.G. Hardy family purchased land in this area. These early farming families started a local school, built with lumber hauled from the nearest railhead at Canyon City. In 1903, Hale and Lubbock county commissioners officially established the school district. Murray donated a five-acre tract to Lubbock County in May 1906 for a school, church and cemetery.
Transport
Dagley Field
Aircraft vastly changed the face of war and Dagley Field played a part in that transformation. As tensions mounted in the late 1930s, the United States created the Civilian Pilot Training Program (CPTP), administered by the Civil Aeronautics Administration. This program offered college students classroom instruction and flight time.
History
Englewood Cemetery
Representing the Santa Fe Railroad, W.B. Storey, Jr. bought the future townsite of Slaton on April 15, 1911. The railroad's plans included a roundhouse, switch lines, depot and Harvey House, making Slaton a center for area rail transport. Rail employees and others quickly populated the city, which incorporated in October 1912.
Military
General Ranald Slidell Mackenzie
Born in New York City on July 24, 1840, Mackenzie attained the rank of major general during the Civil War. On February 25, 1871, at Fort Concho, Texas, he assumed command as colonel of the 4th Cavalry, which soon became the finest regiment in the army. He commanded three expeditions into this region against the Indians.
History
Idalou Cemetery
John William Turner, Jr. and his wife, Mary Alice, deeded two acres of their farm as a burial ground in 1920. At this time, the Idalou Cemetery Association was formed. The first interment was for the Turners' infant nephew, Weldon Fred Turner, whose grave is indicated by a homemade marker. In May 1921, C.J. and Mary Hallmark buried their infant son C.J.
History
Isham and Texana Tubbs House
Isham Tubbs (1852-1947) married Texana Spikes (1857-1930) in Kaufman County in 1877. They moved to the Monterey area of Lubbock County circa 1890. Isham became one of the first school board trustees and a charter member of Lubbock's First United Methodist Church. He brought lumber from east Texas by rail and wagon in 1907-08 to build this home, basing it on a magazine sketch admired by Texana.
History
Lubbock Cotton Club
In 1938, Clyde Trusty opened a ballroom in a renovated army quonset hut at this site. The Lubbock Cotton Club hosted well-known orchestras and big bands popular at the time. The venue expanded the following year, with room for 1600 people on one of the largest dance floors in west Texas. Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys were among the first western swing bands to play the cotton club.
History
Lubbock County
Formed from Young and Bexar territories Created August 21, 1876 Organized March 10, 1891 Named in honor of Colonel Thomas S. Lubbock 1817 - 1862 Member of the New Orleans Greys at the storming of Bexar, commander of a company in the Santa Fe Expedition, member of the Somervell Expedition, co-organizer of the famous Terry's Texas Rangers, 1861. County seat, Lubbock
History
Lubbock High School
The city of Lubbock experienced a significant increase in population during the 1920s as it became the agricultural, educational, service, and trade center of the South Plains. This high school was built out of the need for providing an eduction for the young people of the rapidly growing community.
Civic & Local
Lubbock Women's Club
Starting in 1944, several women's organizations met to coordinate their community improvement efforts. In February 1945, 22 groups became charter members of the Lubbock Women's Club. After meeting at members' homes, Texas Technological College and other sites, the club bought the former Plains Funeral Home building as their headquarters in 1949. Built in 1941 by contractor J.J.
History
Mackenzie Scout Trail
This marks one route of the Mackenzie Scout Trail extending from Camp Supply, Crosby County to Fort Sumner, New Mexico and used by the Army, 1872-1875, by buffalo hunters, 1876-1878, and by cattlemen 1878 until the fencing of the range. Erected by Nancy Anderson Chapter, N.S.D.A.R. 1936. This block of granite is from the wall that encloses the grave of Nancy Anderson, 1750-1827, near Chester, S.C.
History
Mercy Hospital
For more than 50 years, Mercy Hospital served the health needs of the Slaton community. In 1927, Msgr. Thomas D. O'Brien, then rector of St. Joseph's Catholic Church, joined with a delegation of Slaton citizens to plan a new hospital. Father O'Brien invited the Sisters of Mercy, a national Catholic charity organization, to build and operate the facility.
History
Migrant Labor Camps of Lubbock County
Early Hispanic residents of frontier Lubbock County included ranch hands in the 1880s. Railroad lines brought many workers to the South Plains, the majority recruited from El Paso. Rail companies built row houses near construction sites, and Lubbock's rail labor camps became ethnic enclaves for Hispanic workers. One of the early settlements southwest of town was called Shipley's Railroad Camp.
History
Miss Mae Murfee
Pioneer Lubbock teacher; prominent civic and church leader. Born in Haskell County; daughter of J. E. and Sarah Murfee. First taught in Lubbock County schools in Slide community, 1905; was principal there. Entered Texas Woman's University 1909; earned degree; did graduate work later. Was first woman principal of Lubbock Junior High in 1914.