History
Albert R. Mace
(April 30, 1872 - Oct. 18, 1938) A peace officer 45 years, Mace joined Texas Rangers at age 21. He became deputy sheriff in Lampasas County in 1903; later served 12 years as sheriff. He was president of the Texas Sheriffs Association, 1920; chief of police in oil boom towns of Mexia and Borger (1821-1930) and in Corpus Christi (1933-1934). Was Captain of Ranger Co.
Military
Alfonso Steel
He was severely wounded in the Battle of San Jacinto and its last survivor. Erected by the State of Texas, 1962
History
Armour Cemetery
Established in 1878, this burial ground served the former community of Armour. The cemetery is located on property deeded by community founder, James Armour (d. 1896), for school, church and burial purposes. James Armour was born in 1825 in Jackson County, Georgia, and was a landowner, community and church leader, and Civil War veteran. Armour married Narita Jane Kennedy (d.
History
Azariah G. Moore
A soldier and ranger in the Texas War for Independence; member of Captain Billingsley's Mina Volunteers, 1836. Erected by the State of Texas, 1962
History
Billington Cemetery
Tennessee native E. J. Billington settled in this area with his family in 1854. In 1890 he sold one-half acre of land to John Ellison and Gus Haney on which a church and cemetery were established. The first recorded burial was that of John Sanders in 1890. Named for Billington, the nearby town was once a thriving community with a school, post office, and several stores.
History
Booker T. Washington Park
Set aside by deed in 1898 as a permanent site for celebrating June 19th-- the anniversary of the 1865 emancipation of slaves in Texas. It was 2.5 miles south of this site that slaves of this area first heard their freedom announced. Limestone County in the 1860's-- era of initial celebrations here--had many able Negro leaders.
History
Brown Family Cemetery
The Brown Family Cemetery traces its origin to the settlement of North Carolina native Ervin Brown (1801-1875) and his wife Matilda (1807-1871) in Washington County, Texas, in 1846. Ervin and Matilda moved their family to a 1600-acre farm in Limestone County near the community of Eutaw in 1857. Ervin was a charter member of the Eutaw Masonic Lodge in 1859.
Military
Charles Q. Haley
A volunteer soldier in the Texas War for Independence, 1835-36. Erected by State of Texas, 1962
History
Cox Cemetery
Cox Cemetery Arkansas native Obediah Cox and his wife Angeline (Glover) settled in the Ferguson Prairie (Old Union) community in 1864, following his service in the Civil War. After Angeline's death, Cox wed her sister, Eliza, and they bought several tracts of land in the area, including property at this site, where Angeline was buried.
History
Ebenezer Baptist Church and Cemetery
The Ebenezer Baptist Church was organized in 1865 to serve the Head's Prairie and Headsville communities. Delegates to the Trinity Baptist Association meeting that year were J. R. Bullard, William Samuel Clark, and Thomas Seale Head, with the Rev. J. W. Kinnard as pastor. Membership grew from 41 in 1865 to 210 in 1897, but by 1958 membership had declined so that the congregation disbanded.
History
Eutaw
Settled in 1840s. On Franklin-Springfield, Waco-Marlin stage routes. Post office 1856 with Nathan Gilbert postmaster. Eutaw Lodge No. 233, A.F. & A.M., was chartered 1859. Among early settlers were Henry Fox, Allen McDaniel, Charles C., Frank, and Wesley McKinley, and T. A. Polk. Town had churches, school, stores, blacksmith shop, wagon yard. The "Eutaw Blues" (Co. K., 12th Tex. Cav., C.S.A.
History
Faulkenberry Cemetery
David Faulkenberry, believed to have been born in South Carolina circa 1795, wed Nancy Douthit in 1814 in Tennessee. The couple had seven children. The family was part of Daniel Parker's Pilgrim Church, an Illinois congregation that came to Texas in 1833. The Faulkenberrys and others from the church, including Elisha Anglin, moved to present-day Limestone County in 1835.
History
Ferguson Cemetery
Joseph and Hannah (Penrod) Ferguson moved to this area in the 1830s, years before the formation of Limestone County following Texas statehood. Their property, known as Ferguson Prairie, stretched from sough of the early Box Church community to beyond, and including, present-day Oletha. Records indicate the Fergusons were founding members of the Oletha community, established in the 1870s.
History
Fort Parker
Built 1834 for protection from Indians. Named for leaders who bought first Predestinarian Baptist church body to Texas: Elder Daniel Parker; his father, Elder John; brothers Jas. W., Benjamin, Silas, John.
History
Groesbeck Independent School District
Developers established the town of Groesbeck in February 1871, and Groesbeck College opened two months later on Trinity Street. Education for African American children dates from 1881, when trustees bought an acre of land adjacent to the Lone Star Cemetery (2 mi. S) for school and church purposes.
History
Groesbeck Lodge No. 354, A.F. & A.M.
The Grand Masonic Lodge of Texas chartered this Lodge June 14, 1872. It was set to labor on July 10, with J. J. Lewis as the first worshipful master. Lodge membership has included such distinguished Texans as L. L. Foster (1851-1901), a member and house speaker of the Legislature, 1880-86, and president of Texas A.& M. College (now university), 1898-1901; also W. A.
History
Home County of Lafayette Lumpkin Foster
A state representative, 1885-1886; speaker of the house, 1885-1886. President of Texas A. & M., 1898-1901. Appointed by Gov. James S. Hogg to newly-formed commission, created to regulate shipping rates and practices. In his term, 1891-1895, transportation of petroleum became important to Texas railways. Oil and gas regulation, a major responsibility, began in 1917 with jurisdiction over pipelines.
Military
James Alfred Head
Soldier, Texas War for Independence. Congressman, Republic of Texas, 1841-1842. Erected by the State of Texas 1962
Military
James Alfred Head
James A. Head was a Texas Ranger, veteran of the War for Independence, and Republic of Texas legislator. Born in Georgia in 1797, he moved to Texas in 1835, enlisting at San Felipe de Austin in Silas Parker's ranging company and securing a land grant at Sarahsville de Viesca. With wife Elizabeth (Seale) Head, he farmed in what is now Brazos County, serving as Justice of the Peace in 1841.
Military
John Karner
Came to Texas 1835, served in Texas War of Independence at San Jacinto. Erected by the State of Texas, 1962
History
Joseph Penn Lynch
Born in Kentucky, 1810, a private and captain in the Army of the Republic of Texas, served in the San Jacinto Campaign 1836, died in Springfield, Texas 1860. Erected by the State of Texas, 1962
Industry & Science
Joseph W. Stubenrauch
Agricultural genius, born in Ruelzheim, Rhenish Bavaria, of a family of horticulturists. Educated in Germany. Migrated to New York in 1871 and to Texas 1876. In Limestone County (surrounding this marker site) lay 100 acres of open prairie land which he purchased. He discovered that fruit varieties then being grown here were unsuited to the climate.
Industry & Science
Kimik Kiln
Limestone County historically supported numerous pottery producing kilns. This industry succeeded near area outcroppings of kaolin, or potter's clay, within the Wilcox geologic formation. Alberry Johnson began the first county pottery in 1859 near Dooley Creek.
History
King-Williams Cemetery
Bardin King (1819-1891) and Elizabeth Susan Salter (1822-1879) married in Lowndes County, Alabama in 1842. The following year, they traveled west by wagon with their young son William and Susan's parents and siblings, settling in Louisiana.
History
Kirk
Settlement began in this area in the 1870s-1880s. A community here, originally called Elm Grove, became known as Kirk when a post office established in 1887 was named for local merchant Jepitha N. Kirk. The first postmaster was William Hume McKnight. In 1884 G. W. and M. J. Swafford donated land for a school and cemetery. William M. and Annie J.