History
Adina Cemetery
Following his service in the Civil War, Alabama native R.L. Cain came to Texas and settled in this area. In 1867, he deeded five acres to Lee County for a cemetery for this area, known then as Cain School Community. The settlement's name changed to Adina when its post office was established, and the cemetery became known as the Adina Community Cemetery.
History
City of Giddings
County seat of Lee County. Named for Jabez D. Giddings (1814-78), of Washington County, one of four brothers from Pennsylvania who were Texas transportation pioneers and business leaders. The town was established as a shipping point when Houston & Texas Central Railroad (in which J. D. Giddings was a stockholder) reached here in 1871.
History
County Named for Beloved Confederate General Robert E. Lee
Led army of Northern Virginia which included famed Hood's Texas Brigade. He said about them "I never ordered that brigade to hold a position that they did not hold it." "The enemy never sees the backs of my Texans." In the Battle of the Wilderness the Texans, seeing Lee set to lead the charge and fearing for his safety, halted, shouting, "General Lee to the rear," until he complied.
History
Early Chapel Cemetery
Site bought by Methodist Episcopal Church South in 1850, although some burials had occurred here previously. Buried here are San Jacinto heroes Capt. Jas. Shaw (founder of Lexington) and Wm. Hawkins; Civil War veterans; Mrs. R. Y. King, wife of first Lee County judge. Contains special section for slaves. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967
History
First National Bank
Lee County's oldest banking institution. An agent for progress in this area. Founded 1891 at merger of P. M. Cuney & Co., private bank, with First National Bank of Elgin (founded in 1890 by 30 merchants and ranchers). The officers were Dr. J.A. Fields, president; Cuney, E. J. Archinard, I. J. Fariss, J. L. Rousseau, Ed R. Sinks and S. F. Wade, directors.
Architecture
First Presbyterian Church
Founded 1876, with thirteen charter members, under the direction of Rev. H. B. Burr and Rev. R. H. Byers. Edifice designed and built in 1886 by the ruling elder, Frank Morris. Annex constructed in 1952. Oldest church building in Giddings in continuous use. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967
History
Fletcher Home
Built by August W. Schubert, 1879. Bought 1894 by Lutheran Church, Missouri Synod, to house a ministerial college, which closed prior to 1900. Sold to Baylis J. Fletcher, Lee County treasurer and legislator. Presently owned by the Fletcher family. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966
History
Globe Hill Community and Baptist Church
George Coleman Truitt, founder of this predominantly African American community, bought land in the area and built at least nine box houses for his tenant farmers. Truitt also ran the community's only business, a general store. In 1887, Truitt and Simon P. Davis selected a school site on a rocky promontory called Rocky Hill, for which Truitt named the community. He later renamed it Globe Hill.
History
Goucher Family Grave
In this grave rest James Goucher and five members of his family murdered by Indians November 26, 1836. With the true pioneering spirit he had opened the first road from San Felipe to the settlements on the Colorado known for many years as "Goucher's Trace." Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Helen Knox
(1885-1959) Historian-financier. One of the few women given athletic letters (in tennis) at the University of Texas. Born in Giddings, daughter of bank president W.A. Knox, she became (1927) manager of women's accounts, Chase National Bank, New York. Known for her writings on banking, she was chairman of finance in restoration of home of Gen. Robert E. Lee; she belonged to Colonial Dames and D.A.
History
Henry Prentice Redfield
Texas Soldier Henry Prentice Redfield (May 27, 1819 - February 27, 1900) Born Derry, N.H.; came to Texas, 1831. Joined army, 1835. Fought at Battle of Gonzales, 1835; Siege of Bexar, 1835; San Jacinto, 1836 (all in Texas Revolution). Fought in Indian wars. Wounded at Battle of Plum Creek in 1840. In Battle of Salado Creek, 1842. In Mexican War he joined 1st Texas Cavalry, 1846-47.
History
Indian Camp Branch
Located along an old buffalo trail, this creek was once fed by a spring and was a favorite camping place for Indian hunting parties. It was named Indian Camp Branch by James Shaw (1808-1879), a veteran of the Battle of San Jacinto (April 21, 1836), to honor the hospitality of a band of friendly Tonkawa Indians he encountered near this site in 1837.
History
J. D. Giddings Lodge No. 280, A. F. & A. M.
Chartered by the Grand Lodge of Texas in 1865, this Masonic Lodge had its beginnings in the community of Evergreen (about 5 mi. N). Relocated to the new town of Giddings in 1872 after the railroad bypassed Evergreen, the lodge has played an important part in the civic life of its adopted city.
History
James Shaw
(Star and Wreath) Born August 6, 1808; served in the Texas War for Independence; soldier at San Jacinto. A Representative or Senator in five Congresses, Republic of Texas. Died February 10, 1880. His wife Nancy Ann Shaw, born May 13, 1811; died August 9, 1871.
History
King's Highway - Camino Real - Old San Antonio Road
King's Highway - Camino Real - Old San Antonio Road. Marked by the Daughters of the American Revolution and the State of Texas A. D. 1918
History
King's Highway - Camino Real - Old San Antonio Road
Marked by the Daughters of the American Revolution and the State of Texas A. D. 1918
History
King's Highway - Camino Real - Old San Antonio Road
King's Highway - Camino Real - Old San Antonio Road. Marked by the Daughters of the American Revolution and the State of Texas A. D. 1918
History
King's Highway - Camino Real - Old San Antonio Road
Marked by the Daughters of the American Revolution and the State of Texas A. D. 1918
History
Lee County
Located on Old San Antonio Road, on land surveyed in 1821 as part of the original colony of Moses and Stephen F. Austin. In 1854 became site of major settlement by Wend from northern Europe, led by Pastor Johann Kilian. Had only school in U. S. that taught in Wendish-- language surviving only here and in Australia, in the modern world.
History
Lexington Masonic Lodge No. 138
Chartered in 1854, when Lexington was part of Burleson County, the community's Masonic lodge was first named in honor of Andrew Neill, a Texas War for Independence veteran. The lodge's first officers were John M. Doak, Titus H. Mundine and John B. Nunn. Also in 1854, members helped build a lodge and school, chartered in 1860 as Lexington Male and Female Academy.
History
Lexington Schools
First local school session was held in 1849 in log home of Capt. James Shaw (1808-79), founder of Lexington, then in Burleson (since 1874 in Lee) County. Andrew Neill Lodge No. 138, A.F. & A.M., to which Shaw and other patrons belonged, joined with newly-formed School District No. 9 in 1854 to build a 2-story schoolhouse-lodge hall a mile south of town.
History
Milton Garrett York, Sr.
Was born in East Texas (San Augustine County) on Sept. 5, 1843. After the death of his parents, Aaron and Ruth (lucas) York, he went to live with an uncle in Arkansas. Milton returned to Texas about 1860 and briefly taught school in the Evergreen community, in what is now Lee County. After serving in the Confederate army from 1861 to 1865, M. G. York returned to this area and married Matilda Heck.
History
Old Dime Box
County's second oldest community. Located in Texas founder Stephen F. Austin's "Old Three Hundred" colony. First known as Browne's Mills. Present name derived from practice of leaving dimes in box at Joseph S. Browne's mill so that postman John W. Ratliff would bring items from Giddings to community members. (1968)
History
Pioneer Publisher and Printer David Ervin Lawhon
(Buried 1/2 mile NW of here) Born in Tennessee on June 15, 1811. While very young learned the printing trade and worked at it in some of the principal cities of the United States. Came to Nacogdoches, Texas, in November 1835, in answer to pleas for volunteers for Texas army. Was pressed into service publishing the "Texean and Emigrant's Guide," with essential war proclamations.
History
Robert Devlin McClellan _ Sarah Lewis Rainey McClellan
Robert Devlin McClellan (January 19, 1837 - December 30, 1888) Sarah Lewis Rainey McClellan (deceased February 2, 1914) First professional educators in Giddings, opening a private school in 1874. In 1883, start of Giddings public free schools saw the McClellans heading the first faculty. McClellan, a noted mathematician, taught until his death; Mrs. McClellan remained at her post until 1895.