Architecture
The Lay-Bozka House
One of distinctive structures of 19th century Texas. Sometimes called the "Wedding Cake House". Built 1878-1882 by B. J. E. Dietz at cost of $4,750 for Dr. James E. Lay, local physician and Civil War veteran. The architect was Victor Hugo, a French diplomat. Native stone walls are 18 to 24 inches thick. Wood used was cypress. Mansard roof. Windows of variant designs and sizes.
History
The Trail Drivers of Southwest Texas
In Memory of The Trail Drivers of Southwest Texas who passed this way 1867-1887.
Quirky
The Wild Man of the Navidad
A mysterious runaway Negro slave who alternately terrified and aroused pity of settlers in this region for about 15 years. The mysterious exile, at first with a companion, appeared along the Navidad bottoms about 1836. Hiding in trees during day, he stole into kitchens at night for food, but always left half. He also took tools, returning them later, brightly polished.
History
United Evangelical Lutheran Dr. Martin Luther Church
Members of this historic church helped spread Lutheranism through Lavaca and surrounding counties. For acculturated German Texans and for new arrivals, the Lutheran Church also served as the focal point of educational and social activities. The church was also a direct link back to the homeland; church services were conducted in German for many years. Rev.
History
Vienna (Cheney Settlement)
The community of Vienna has roots that reach back to the Republic of Texas. Maryland native John Cheney (1796-1868) brought his family to Texas in 1830 when Native Americans, including his wife Lucy, were expelled from their home in Georgia. Cheney served as Constable and Justice of the Peace in what was then Colorado County.
History
Vsetin Cemetery
About 1865, newly arrived Czechoslovakian immigrants settled in this vicinity, named Sublime by earlier Irish immigrants. The Czech settlers began calling the community "Vsetin" in remembrance of the area in Austria from which they came. After working as sharecroppers for several years, most earned enough money to purchase their own farms.
History
Vysehrad School
Established north of Worthing community in 1887, Vysehrad School reflects the area's Czech heritage; the name means "high castle" in the Czech language. Frank Jakubik was the first teacher in the original schoolhouse at this site. It burned in 1905, replaced by a two-room structure and teacherage. By 1935, the school had three teachers serving eight grades.
History
West-Wagner Homestead
Washington West and his wife Mary Willauer West moved their family from Tennessee in 1854 and settled in Lavaca County, Texas. Their home became a stagecoach stop which developed into the community of Old Sweet Home. The Wests' sons George, Ike and Sol drove longhorn cattle to markets in Kansas, Nebraska, the Dakotas, Montana and Wyoming from 1867-85.
History
Wied School
Opened in 1895, Wied School served the primarily German and Czech population of the Wied community over 70 years. Anglo-American settlement in this area began in the 1830s, and by the early 1870s, German immigrants, including the Wied brothers for whom the community was named, began moving here. A number of Czech immigrants also came to the community in the following years.
History
William E. Summers
(March 29 1811 ' March 6, 1836) William E. Summers is inextricably tied to Texas history through his involvement with the election to name delegates to the Texas Independence Convention and in the fall of the Alamo as one of the Immortal 32. Summers family history can be traced to 17th century Maryland and subsequent migration to other states. William E.
History
William Green House
William Green and wife India, pioneers from Kentucky, bought this land and erected a house here in 1853. Style is typical of era, with central "dog trot" hall dividing two main rooms. William Green, Jr., and wife Julia, who lived here 8 years, ran the Winnton post office and a general store. From 1869 to 1889 the store was a social center for this rural area.
History
William Smothers
(1760-1837) A Veteran of the American Revolution. A native of Virginia, William Smothers was orphaned at 12 when Indians killed his father, and his mother died of shock. In the American Revolution, he fought at King's Mountain, Guilford Courthouse, Camden, and Eutaw Springs.
History
Witting School
In the 1870s to 1880s a considerable number of German-speaking immigrants migrated to northwestern Lavaca county. One of them was George Witting, who was a wealthy commission merchant originally from Columbus, Texas.
History
Worthing
Following the Civil War, many of the original Anglo settlers to the area were gradually replaced by German and Czech immigrants eager to grow corn and cotton on small family farms. In 1882, Joseph Orsak established a steam-powered cotton gin. He quickly sold the gin to J.F. Kutach and opened a general store.
History
Wreck of the Don Milo
The San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway Company (S. A. & A. P.) was chartered by the state of Texas in 1884 to connect the city of San Antonio with Aransas Bay, and the rail line officially came to Hallettsville on April 23, 1887.
History
Yoakum
Located on DeWitt-Lavaca county line on land granted by Mexico in 1835 to settler John May. Cattle gathering area for Chisholm Trail. With coming of San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad in 1887, became transportation center. Named for rail official B. F. Yoakum; incorporated in 1889. Industries: beef, leather, canning plant.
History
Zion Lutheran Church
Circuit-riding pastors served the religious needs of German Lutheran settlers of this area as early as the 1870s. A group of worshipers met to organize a congregation in March 1902. Land was purchased and construction of Zion Lutheran Church began in 1904. The church became the base for nearby rural churches.