History
John Wilkins Whitfield
Star and Wreath Brigadier General, C.S.A. Battle of Pea Ridge, commanded "Whitfield's Legion" at Iuka, Brigade commander Vicksburg Campaign, Texas legislator. Erected by the State of Texas 1963
History
Joseph Kent
Came to Texas about 1832. Taught in the Texas War for Independence at Bexar, 1835 and at San Jacinto, 1836. Died in Lavaca County, 1849. Erected by the State of Texas - 1963
Military
Joseph Lawrence
Star and Wreath A volunteer in the Texas War for Independence; a San Jacinto veteran. Erected by the State of Texas 1962
History
Katolika Jednota Zen Texaskych (K.J.Z.T.)_Catholic Women's Union of Texas
Czech families came to Texas in the 1800s and bought farms where women worked equally with men to clear land and plant and harvest crops. Despite their efforts, life insurance companies would not sell policies to women, citing uncertain income and lack of credit or savings. At the same time, funeral costs and other hardships added to families' difficulties in times of illness or death.
History
Lavaca County Courthouse
Fifth structure to serve as seat of justice for Lavaca, created originally as "La Baca", a judicial county, by Congress of Republic of Texas in 1842. Declared unconstitutional along with other judicial counties, it was created anew by first Legislature of State of Texas on April 6, 1846, and organized on July 13, 1846.
History
Marshall and Malinda Mitchell
Mitchell Family history in Lavaca County began with Bankston Mitchell (c. 1845-1914), a slave born in Virginia who moved to this area with Plantation Owner and Military Scout Isaac Newton Mitchell. Bankston and Maria (Johnson) Mitchell had a son named Marshall Mitchell (1876-1960). In 1913, Marshall built a Methodist Episcopal Church in Sweet Home.
History
Masonic Lodge Building
Moved to this site, 1889, by David Kokernot, the builder. Given to Methodist church and Masonic Lodge. First local Sunday School was held here. In 1914 church was relocated. Entire hall is now owned by Masons. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967
History
Moulton
Founded (about 2 miles northwest) in early 1850s. Moved to this site after 1887 when the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad extended its line from Yoakum to Waco, placing a station at this point. Sam and Will Moore, brothers, took lead in building an outstanding school here in 1901. Town remains an agricultural and shipping center.
History
Moulton Lodge No. 298, A.F. & A.M.
First meeting held July 20, 1866. Chartered June 15, 1867, with 18 members. First building erected in cooperation with Live Oak Church, in 1874. Through the years, this Lodge has shared its building with other groups. It moved in 1894 to New Moulton. A new hall was built in 1910.
Military
Moulton's World War II Observation Tower
Prior to the widespread use of radar, elevated observation towers placed along the coastline provided early warning against axis air attack during World War II. Organized in May 1941 by the U.S. Army Air Corps as the Ground Observer Corps (GOC), later the aircraft warning service (AWS), the 14,000-tower system was manned by 1.5 million civilian volunteers.
History
Murchison Lodge No. 80, A.F. & A.M.
Considered oldest organized group in Lavaca County. Under dispensation granted March 29, 1850, Lodge was chartered January 31, 1851, and named for early Texas colonist and Masonic leader John Murchison, Fayette County. First officers: Isaac J. Foster, worshipful master; Silas Bennett, senior warden; Peter McDermott, junior warden.
History
Novohrad School
For decades, Novohrad School provided educational opportunities for children living in the rural Bohemian community of Novohrad. By the 1880s, Novohrad, which took its name from a town in Bohemia, was a growing settlement consisting of a store, cotton gin, nursery and residences.
History
Old Hanging Tree
Gallows used Sept. 12, 1879, at public hanging of "Pocket", an Indian, killer of Englishman Leonard Hyde. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967
History
Old Moulton
At this point was center of original town of Moulton (named, according to tradition, by a man from Moulton, Alabama). First postmaster was James Walker (1856). Town gained statewide fame for the Moulton Institute operated 1874-1895 by Melvin H. Allis, M. A., and wife, Thankful ("Aunt Thank"). On the faculty was an outstanding teacher of music, Miss Sallie McLean.
History
Old Moulton Cemetery
Although local oral tradition holds that there may be older interments, the earliest documented grave in this cemetery is that of Louisa Lattimer (1842-1857). Early settlers Robert H. and Eliza J. McGinty deeded some land for cemetery use.
History
Old Sweet Home
The Sweet Home community was originally settled during the mid-1800s. In 1852, a post office was established with Captain J.A. York as postmaster. York also laid out the town (1860) and partnered with the West family, early area settlers, in business ventures.
Architecture
Orth-Fitch House
Will Orth, a railroad conductor and the owner of a local flour mill, built this home in 1910. Soon other prominent Yoakum families began erecting homes on Coke Street, which became known as "Silk Stocking Row." Designed by local architect W. A. Fink, Orth's home features characteristics of the Queen Anne and colonial revival styles. Farmer and merchant T. J.
Military
Paul Scarborough
Star and Wreath Came to Texas in 1835; served in the Texas Army from October 3 to December 14, 1835. Member Company D, First Regiment Texas Volunteers at San Jacinto, 1836. Erected by the State of Texas, 1962
History
Petersburg
County seat Lavaca County, 1846-1852. Founded upon the town site donated by Arthur Sherill. Named by order of the Commissioners Court August 31, 1846. First officers, 1846-1848, Andrew Ponton, chief justice; B. Stribling, probate judge; M. H. Hinch, sheriff; Josiah Dowling, county clerk; D. Laughlin, district clerk; Gabriel Zumwalt, tax assessor and collector; Phillip Howard, treasurer.
History
Pilot Grove Church and Cemetery
The community of Pilot Grove was named for a landmark grove of trees. One of its first settlers was John Wesley Vick, who brought his family here about 1875. When the need for a community cemetery became evident, Vick donated one acre of his land for that purpose, provided that it was maintained as a free burial ground. The first adult buried in the Pilot Grove Cemetery was Mary C.
History
Radhost School
Settlers of the community of Radhost, many of whom were immigrants from Czechoslovakia, funded the building of a school which opened in 1873. Beginning as a one-teacher school taught in the Bohemian language, it became a two-classroom English language school with the construction of a new building in 1930.
History
Route of the Texas Army
In Texas Revolution, Gen. Sam Houston and his Texas Army crossed Rocky Creek near this spot, March 15, 1836, retreating eastward from town of Gonzales. Their victory 5 weeks later over Santa Anna's Mexican Army, in Battle of San Jacinto, brought freedom to Texas, April 21. (1969)
History
Ruins of Brushy Creek Church
On 50-acre site donated 1868 for church and school purposes by John H. and Stephen Dunn, in large Irish and Czech Catholic area near the post road trading station of Bovine. It was 1876-1912 Church of St. Joseph's Parish, founded in 1860s by Father John Anthony Forest (1838-1911), third bishop (1895-1911), Diocese of San Antonio.
History
Saint Ludmila's Academy
The first Catholic school in Shiner was built in 1896 by Scherbohm and Mewes, contractors. The two story French style frame building housed two classrooms, a dining room and kitchen on the first floor, and a residence for the Sisters on the second floor.
History
Saints Cyril and Methodius Catholic Church
Early German and Czech settlers in this area of Lavaca County attended Catholic worship services in private homes or at churches in Hallettsville or Moulton until 1890, when a new mission was established in Shiner by the Rev. John Anthony Forest.