History
Comanchero Trail
One of several routes used by traders dealing with Indians, primarily Comanches (hence name). Weapons, whiskey and trade goods were swapped for stolen Texas cattle, horses and captives. Pursuit apparently began in the 1760s when Mexican hunters ventured out on "Staked Plains" (Indian domain) to hunt buffalo for New Mexico meat markets.
History
Earth (History)
Before white men entered this region in late 19th century, nomadic Apache, Comanche, and Kiowa Indians followed the buffalo from water hole to water hole. A favorite Indian camp was at a spring (5 miles W), near which the Springlake Headquarters of the XIT Ranch were located in the 1890s. William Electious Halsell (1850-1934) purchased Springlake Division in 1901.
Nature
Lamb County Sand Hills
A natural landmark, this chain of sand dunes extends for 130 miles and is three to five miles wide. Archeological findings show that the area was inhabited 6,000 years ago. Comanches camped in the sand hills because of wild game, vegetation, protection from the wind, and the availability of water. Spanish explorers and later Anglo-Americans used the old Indian trails that passed along the dunes.
History
Old Watering Trough
One of Sudan's oldest structures. Built 1916, when Santa Fe Railway terminus here shipped out cattle of early ranches. Here ranchers watered herds and horses, traded, told yarns, hired hands. Trough also served mule teams, after the farming era began in the 1920's. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966
History
One of the Trails of Col. Ranald S. MacKenzie
Col. Ranald S. Mackenzie (1840-89) of the United States Army was ordered in the 1870s to conquer Indians on Texas frontiers. He led 240 enlisted men and eight officers in an expedition along the draw here. Heading toward New Mexico, he hoped to break up a ring of traders paying Indians to steal cattle and horses.
History
Replica of XIT's Giant Windmill
Yellowhouse Division of 3,050,000-acre XIT Ranch built (1887) a 132-foot windmill southwest of here. Set in a canyon, it had to be tall to catch breezes and pump water. It was known as the world's tallest windmill until it was toppled by winds in 1926. This replica was erected May 27, 1969. (1970)
History
Rocky Ford Crossing and Community
(The ford was 0.5 mile to the west) The 840-mile Brazos River was both friend and foe to settlers. Here near the source of Double Mountain Fork, after XIT Ranch was sold to smaller operators about 1912, the river that had attracted settlers was found to obstruct wet-weather travel.
History
Site of the First Lamb County Courthouse
Created in 1876, Lamb County was unorganized until it could muster 21 qualified voters, 1908. Citizens donated labor for first 9-room frame courthouse, which served until it burned in 1922. First county officials were: judge, H. R. Miller; commissioners, J. A. Hooper (Precinct No. 1), Claude E. Halsell (No. 2), G. M. Arnett (No. 3), Walter Sullivan (No.
History
Sod House Spring
Indian camp and watering place. Took its name from first sod house built in 1876 by George and John Causey and Frank Lloyd, buffalo hunters. First permanent settlement in this region. In 1882 a cow camp was established at this point by Estes brothers who grazed cattle in the vicinity until the property was acquired by the Capitol Syndicate. Erected by the State of Texas - 1936
History
Spring Lake
Indian camp and watering place extensively used in hunting buffalo. Became cattle territory in 1882 when Tom Lynch drove his herds from New Mexico. After acquisition by the Capitol Syndicate this became headquarters of largest division of the XIT Ranch. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Springlake Cemetery
This burial ground served the original residents of Springdale community. The area was opened for settlement in 1908 by the George C. Wright Land Company. It was named for the nearby Springlake Ranch. D. B. Shiftlet donated the first two acres for the cemetery. The first burial took place in 1909. Of the 356 known graves, five are unmarked. The community of Springlake was relocated in 1935, 4.
History
Springlake-Earth School
(in 202-square-mile district) Opened 1908 as one-room school, Springlake became an independent district in 1924 when Halsell ranch land was sold to settlers and local population increased. Enlarged school opened 1925 in new $30,000 brick structure on site bought from J. F. Kelley. E. C. Martin was superintendent; Otis Brown, M. E. Cleavinger, Earl Hewitt, Arthur Edwards, George Linville, H. M.
History
Town of Amherst
Began in 1913 as a cattle-shipping point on Pecos & Northern Texas Railroad. Served the 300,000-acre Springlake Ranch, which was established in 1902 by W.E. "Colonel Bill" Halsell (1850-1934) and his son Ewing Halsell (1877-1965). According to local tradition the shipping point was named for Amherst College, Mass., alma mater of one of the railway officials.