History
James Kerr
(1790-1850) Kentucky native James Kerr, the son of a Baptist minister, was reared in Missouri. Kerr fought in the War of 1812 and was later sheriff of St. Charles County, Missouri. He married Angeline Caldwell in 1818 and served in the Missouri Senate and House of Representatives. Kerr was appointed Surveyor General of the Texas colony of Green DeWitt in 1825.
History
Kennedy-Peterson House
This home was built in 1914 for seven-term Texas State Representative and Speaker of the House Austin Milton Kennedy (1866-1914), who moved here to assist with his struggles with tuberculosis. Kennedy lived here only three months and died on July 19, 1914. Rancher and businessman Sid Peterson (1868-1939) and his wife, Myrta (Goss) Peterson (1881-1951), purchased the house in 1919.
History
Kerr County
Formed from Bexar County - Created January 26, 1856 - Organized March 22, 1856. Named in honor of James Kerr, 1790-1850; the first American settler on the Guadalupe River; general manager of DeWitt's Colony; signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence; member of the Third Texas Congress. County Seat, Kerrsville (afterwards Kerrville), 1856-1860; Comfort, 1860-1862; Kerrville, since.
History
Kerrville
Kerr County was formally created on January 26, 1856, and named for Republic of Texas soldier and pioneer James Kerr. Among the first settlers in the area was Joshua D. Brown, a veteran of the Battle of San Jacinto. Brown was instrumental in naming the county for his friend James Kerr. The new county seat was named Kerrsville in May 1856 when Brown donated four acres of land for a public square.
History
Kerrville Daily Times
Several newspapers have served the residents of Kerr County since its organization. Most of these have ceased to publish but one, the Kerrville Daily Times, has served area readers as the only daily newspaper published in the Hill Country. One of the oldest businesses in continuous operation in the county, the paper began as the Center Point News in 1910. James J.
History
Kerrville Lodge No. 697, A.F. & A.M.
Organized by Masons affiliated with Rising Star Lodge in nearby Center Point, Kerrville Lodge No. 697 was chartered on December 11, 1890. The 21 charter members elected Ed Smallwood as their first Worshipful Master. A two-story stone building erected by Charles Schreiner served as the institution's headquarters until a second structure was acquired in 1927.
History
Kerrville Mountain Sun
The "Kerrville Mountain Sun" can trace its history to an 1870s publication known as "The Frontiersman." Later called "The News," "The Eye," and "The Paper," the "Mountain Sun" was given its current name by J. E. Grinstead after he purchased the newspaper in 1898. An adventurer, writer, and early photographer, Grinstead sold the "Mountain Sun" in 1917.
History
Kerrville Telephone Company
A.C. Schriner and D.H. Comparette, Sr., started the Kerrville telephone exchange in 1896 with a handshake and $1,000. The first connection was between two Schreiner wool warehouses, and other businesses soon applied for service. In 1898, lines were extended from Kerrville to Rocksprings, Harper, Junction, and Medina.
History
Mary Ann Kent Byas Chambers Morriss
Early Texas pioneer Mary Ann Kent was born in Missouri (Calloway Co.) in 1827 to Andrew and Elizabeth (Zumwalt) Kent. Their family moved to Texas in 1830, settling in Gonzales. Andrew was a carpenter, farmer and rancher before joining in the fight for Texas independence. He was killed at the Battle of the Alamo.
History
N.O. Reynolds
Lieutenant Nelson Orcelus Reynolds was a noted Texas lawman. Born in 1846 in Pennsylvania, Reynolds served in the Union army during the Civil War. In 1874, he enlisted as a Texas Ranger in Blanco County. Reynolds captured the Horrell brothers and forced them to sign a peace treaty to end the feud with the Higgins faction. As a result, he was given command of the newly formed Company "E.
History
Old Ingram
Settlers began arriving in this vicinity prior to the Civil War. In 1879 the Reverend J. C. W. Ingram, a Church of Christ minister from California, bought the land at this site from pioneer settler Abner McWhorter Morriss. Ingram soon opened a general store and post office. A community grew around the store and thrived for fifty years as a commercial center.
History
Old Spanish Trail
The Old Spanish Trail was a significant route from San Antonio through Bandera Pass, Camp Verde, Kerrville, Ingram and Mountain Home. For centuries, it was used by Native Americans, including Comanches and Lipan Apaches.
History
One Mile to Ruins of Camp Verde
Established as a frontier post by the United States Army, July 8, 1855; headquarters in 1856 for 40 camels, sent by Secretary of War Jefferson Davis, to be used in a system of overland communication with the west, which proved impracticable. Surrendered to the Confederate government in 1861; reoccupied in 1865 by the United States Army; abandoned April 1, 1869.
History
Penateka Comanches
The Penateka, or 'honey eaters,' were the southernmost band of Comanches; their range extended from the Edwards Plateau to the beginnings of central Texas rivers. The nomadic Comanches followed buffalo as they migrated, depending on the animals for food, clothing and shelter. They also relied on horses and were unmatched in their horsemanship.
History
Remount Station
Built during the 1850s in Waring by an unknown settler. Constructed with elm logs measuring eight inches wide. Offered food and lodging to stagecoach travelers between San Antonio and points west during the 1870s. Cabin was once the home of a settler who provided horses and saddles for Pony Express riders, so it became known as Remount Station and Stage Stop. Moved to Y.O. Ranch; restored.
History
Rising Star Lodge No. 429, A.F. & A.M.
Chartered on June 5, 1875, this lodge was first located in a building which was destroyed by fire in 1900, along with all the lodge records. Meetings were held in the Guadalupe Valley Bank building from 1902 until the lodge moved to this site in 1964. Charter members of the lodge were: Miles A. Lowrance, Joshua D. Brown, William D. C. Burney, H. B. Dollahite, Alonzo Rees, A. S. Moore, John F.
Civic & Local
Saint Peter's Episcopal Church
Pioneer Episcopalians worshiped at the Kerr County Courthouse in 1881. In 1884-88, they erected a small frame Gothic church. The Rev. J. E. Hole served 1890-91 as first resident rector; the Rev. Richard Galbraith, 1894-1908, as first permanent rector. In 1908 Saint Peter's became a parish. The Rev. J. E.
Nature
Schumacher Crossing on the Guadalupe River
Christian Schumacher emigrated with his family from Germany to Texas in 1845, the year he was born. He came to Kerr County in 1880, later marrying Sarah Brazeal Sublett and moving to land along the Guadalupe River, near the site of an antebellum sawmill operation built by Gustav and Fredrich Tegener.
Industry & Science
Site of Animal Health Discovery
In this building (at Menard) during late 1930s, Dr. Edward F. Knipling (b. 1909) advanced theory screwworms might be eradicated by releasing sterile male flies to break chain of reproduction and save livestock from role of host to parasitic larvae that destroy livestock and wildlife.
Military
Site of Camp Verde
Established as a frontier post by the United States Army, July 8, 1855; headquarters in 1856 for 40 camels, sent by Secretary of War Jefferson Davis, to be used in a system of overland communication with the west, which proved impracticable. Surrendered to the Confederate government in 1861; reoccupied in 1865 by the United States Army; abandoned April 1, 1869.
History
Site of Reservation School
As settlement in Kerr County began to spread to outlying areas at the end of the 19th century, neighbors gradually formed schools in which to educate their children. The Reservation School began in 1907 as a one-room school and also housed a Baptist church congregation. It was relocated to this site in 1919 after Anton and Emma Esquell deeded a portion of their land for a school.
History
Site of Sherman's Mill
A pioneer Kerr County water-powered mill located near Kelly Creek-Guadalupe River confluence. It ground corn, sawed lumber, ginned cotton. Built in 1870s by John Sherman, it was in use until destroyed by flood in 1932. Sherman, his wife, and 8 children lived in house still standing nearby. (1972) Incise on base of marker: Marker Sponsor: A Sherman descendant, Dovie Turk Talley
History
Site of Zanzenberg
Home of Dr. Charles De Ganahl (1824-1883), a signer of the Texas Articles of Secession in 1861 and Army Surgeon for the Confederate States of America. The home was erected in 1856 and named after Dr. Ganahl's ancestral home in the Austrian Tyrol of Europe. Here the first post office in Kerr County was established in 1857 with his wife Virginia (1834-1895) as the first postmaster. (1968)
History
Starkey Cemetery
This burial ground began as a family plot for the James Monroe and Martha Adeline (Rees) Starkey family. The first burial was for their son, Jones Starkey (d. 1868). J.M. Starkey, who came here in 1854, was Kerr County's first assessor and collector, and later, chief justice; he was vital in Kerr County's organization. The Gibbens, Lowrance and Rees families are the only others represented.
History
Stoneleigh Ranch
Missouri native George L. Leigh (d. 1901) moved to Kerr County in 1878 for health reasons. He opened a mercantile establishment in Center Point (3.5 mi. S) with James Sellers and later served one term as county tax assessor. In 1883 he purchased a 640-acre tract here. With the help of his brother Edward, he enlarged the site to include over three thousand acres.