History
"The Poet Ranchman" Larry Chittenden
(March 23, 1862 - Sept. 24, 1934) Author of "Cowboys' Christmas Ball" - cited for literary merit by National Folklore Society. Born in New Jersey, Chittenden first came to Texas as a sales agent. In 1884 he visited S. M. Swenson at this site; in 1887 began developing 10,000 acres of family-owned land 16 miles southwest of here. Through rough ranch life he caught spirit of the land.
History
8.6 Miles South to Fort Phantom Hill
Established November 14, 1851 by the United States Army as a protection of the settlers against the Indians. Abandoned and burned April 6, 1854. Repaired and used by Southern Overland Mail, 1858-1861, sub-post of Fort Griffin, 1871-1872, temporary county seat of Jones County in 1881.
History
Anson Opera House
Built 1907 by A.W . Johnson and Dr. D. Williams, with Thomas Vetch, contractor. House was site for diverse programs: stock company and Chautaugua productions such as "East Lynn" and "The Klansman" (for which Sheriff Tom Hudson's horse was borrowed and led on stage); "Perils of Pauline" and other silent moving pictures; a state championship wrestling match in era of local pugilist Boomer Moore;…
History
Arledge Field
In preparation for the eventual U.S. entry into World War II, Gen. Henry H. "Hap" Arnold sought to expand the nation's combat air forces by asking civilian flight schools to provide the primary phase of training for air cadets. At twenty sites in Texas, flight schools contracted to build facilities for housing and training new pilots.
History
Avoca Methodist Church
This church grew from an 1887 brush arbor camp meeting in the Spring Creek community of Avo (1.5 miles west), conducted by the Rev. J. H. Wiseman, a Methodist circuit rider. The congregation moved to the new railroad town of Avoca when the present sanctuary was completed in 1906. The original steeple was later destroyed by a storm, and the belfry was added in 1953 under the supervision of the Rev.
History
Bethel Lutheran Church
Situated on ranch land of family of S. M. Swenson, banker who in 1850s underwrote Swedish migration to Texas. Church forms center for Ericksdahl community, founded 1905 by Swedes formerly living near Austin. Visiting pastors L. J. Sundquist and J. A. Stamline held first church service in the N. M. Segerstrom home in February 1905; congregation organized January 25, 1906.
History
Boyd Chapel Community
Settlements began to develop in Jones County by the mid-1800s, first around the abandoned Fort Phantom Hill site and then around ranches founded in the 1880s and farms established shortly thereafter. At this site in 1895, Reese Davis, Joe Swent and Alex Boyd built the Boyd School. The community that developed nearby came to be known as Boyd Chapel.
History
Cowboys' Christmas Ball
In 1885, M. G. Rhodes hosted a wedding party and dance at his Star Hotel in Anson. One guest was Larry Chittenden, a salesman and writer visiting his uncle in Jones County. He was so inspired by the dance held that night for the cowboys and ladies that he composed a poem commemorating the occasion, 'The Cowboys' Christmas Ball.
History
First Presbyterian Church Building
The Rev. Donald Frazier and nine charter members organized the First Presbyterian Church of Anson in 1882. This structure, the congregation's third sanctuary, was built in 1929. After membership declined in the 1970s, the congregation was dissolved in 1984. The building was donated to the city of Anson for use as a community museum.
History
First United Methodist Church of Anson
This congregation was organized in 1882 by the Rev. J. C. Strickland, a pioneer Methodist circuit rider. In 1908, during the pastorate of the Rev. W. H. Terry, local builder Thomas Veitch constructed this Romanesque Revival building for the church. The original bell tower was eventually lowered to avoid possible wind damage.
History
Fort Phantom Hill
Established November 14, 1851 Abandoned April 6, 1854 Repaired and used by Southern Overland Mail, 1858-1861 Sub-post of Fort Griffin in 1871 and 1872 A thriving village which grew up in its vicinity after the Civil War served as temporary county seat of Jones County in 1881 but declined rapidly after county seat was located at Anson
History
Fort Phantom Hill, C.S.A.
Located 10 miles east, 9 miles south on Old Butterfield Stageline. Upon secession, company of First Regiment Texas Mounted Rifles used it as an outpost to give protection against Indians. Stopover on way west for some Union sympathizers and people wanting to avoid conflict of war. In 1862 the frontier defense line was pulled back more than 30 miles east.
History
Jones County
Site of emigrant trail, the frontier military road, and Fort Phantom Hill, founded in 1851 to guard the military road. County created 1858 from Bexar and Bosque counties. Named for Anson Jones (1798-1858), a veteran of San Jacinto, minister to the U.S., Secretary of State and last President of the Texas Republic.
History
Lueders Cemetery
The town of Lueders lies along the Clear Fork of the Brazos River, on land given by the State of Texas to heirs of Frederick Luders, a German immigrant who fought at the Battle of San Jacinto. Early area settlers included U.S. Indian Agent Jess Stem, who homesteaded a few miles south of here in 1852. Ranching was the dominant activity in the latter 19th century.
History
Neinda Community (Ghost Town)
Soon after Jones County organized in 1881, ranchers settled west of Skinout Mountain and established a community called Banner. In 1890, a post office named Neinda opened, with John O'Brien as postmaster. A cemetery began the following year. The Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railway bypassed the town in 1902 (creating Hamlin 6 mi. NW), and the post office closed in 1907.
History
New Hope Cemetery
William F. Bean (1872-1944) and his wife Birdie Bean (1881-1917) were among the first settlers to the New Hope community; both their families arrived in 1883. William's great-uncle, Amos Bean, died between 1883 and 1890 and was interred under a tree on Bean farmland. The newborn son of W. L and Georgia Whitaker was interred nearby in 1890.
History
Site of Truby School
Site of Truby School Early educational efforts in this area date to the 1870s, prior to the organization of Jones County in 1881. The rural community of Truby encompassed School District No. 14 until consolidating with Bitter Creek Schools in 1916 to become District No. 56. There were three earlier locations for Truby schools until this site was selected in 1916 and a new building was constructed.
History
Spring Creek Cemetery
Located near Spring Creek, this cemetery began in 1891 on two acres of land donated by the Methodist church in the community known as Avo. The first recorded burial was that of Elender Cannon in February 1891. The Methodist church deeded two additional acres to the cemetery in 1892.
History
Swenson Land and Cattle Company Headquarters
Businessman Swen (Svante) Magnus Swenson (1816-1896), first Swedish settler in Texas, is closely associated with Sam Houston and his effort to keep Texas in the Union prior to the Civil War. In 1854 Swenson purchased large land tracts here which he greatly expanded by the mid-1880s with school tracts and railroad scrips.
History
Swenson Ranch Commissary
The Texas Central Railroad and the SMS Ranch collaborated to create the town of Stamford in the late 1890s. Built about 1900, this building was strategically located to serve as the central supply storage facility for the four extensive Swenson ranches in west Texas: Tongue River, Spur, Throckmorton and Flat Top.
Civic & Local
Texas Cowboy Reunion Oldtimers' Association
Founded 1930, jointly with Texas Cowboy Reunion - to "hand down to posterity, customs and traditions" of early cattle people who lived in dugouts and fought drouths, die-outs, heat and freeze-ups, raising the longhorns that finally brought settlement to the southwest. Here (1930) were 335 men who had been cowboys prior to 1895.
History
Truby Cemetery
Several gravestones at this site attest to its use as a burial ground by nearby settlers before members of the Daughtrey family, early area ranchers, formally deeded these three acres for cemetery use on December 4, 1906. The oldest marked grave is that of infant Madge S. McCargo (1897-1898), granddaughter of pioneer Baptist minister George W.