History
A. A. and Susanna Head Homestead
Alanson Asbury (A. A.) Head (1843-1925) and his wife, Susanna Alabama Bethany (1843-1924) built a two-story residence here about 1877. Over the years A. A. and Susanna, known as Uncle Ben and Aunt Sukie, terraced about 300 acres here on which they cultivated various orchards, vineyards, and berry patches.
History
Alvarado
Early settler David Mitchell established a trading post near here in the late 1840s, about the time colonists of W. S. Peters' empresario grant began to settle the area. Colonist William Balch, who settled on an area land grant in 1852, was later to become known as the "Father of Alvarado" for his efforts in having the townsite surveyed in 1854, establishing the first general merchandise stores…
History
Alvarado Glenwood Cemetery
Two early area families established cemeteries at this site in the 1870s. During that time, the Campbell and Sansom families purchased land in this vicinity. The first documented burial is that of seven-month-old Ula Sansom (d. 1876), who was buried in the Sansom family plot. The following year, Louisianna Campbell (1826-1877), was buried in the Campbell plot.
History
Alvarado Masonic Lodge No. 314 A.F. & A.M.
Alvarado Masonic Lodge No. 314 A.F. & A.M. Chartered in 1869, the Alvarado Masonic Lodge began under leadership of A. J. Chambers, J. C. Weaver and Joel Higgins. From its earliest years it offered strong support of local education. The first lodge building provided classroom space, and the lodge administered local school efforts, establishing the Masonic Institute in the 1870s.
History
Baker-Lain Cemetery
In the 1850s a little girl, traveling through this area with her family by wagon train, fell ill and died. She is said to be the first person buried here. Records of the New Hope Baptist Church, founded nearby in 1860, suggest that J. L. Baker originally deeded land for this cemetery. Deed records indicate the Lain family later donated additional land.
History
Balch-Senterwood Cemetery
This graveyard was established in 1856 adjacent to the Balch Cemetery for the African American population following the death of a slave girl killed by a black bear. The girl had come to Alvarado with George Sigler and his family, whose farm was located south of the Balch Community Cemetery.
History
Bethany Rest Cemetery
Bethany Rest Cemetery A small group of settlers from Alabama arrived in the Alvarado area, near Chambers Creek, in 1857. Among them were the Frost, Newby, Murphree and Head families. The family of Sampson and Betty Ann Blakely head settled about a mile north of this site in a community that came to be called Fairview. Their son A.A.
History
Bethesda Community
The Bethesda Community traces its history to 1853, when pioneer farmer David R. Jackson donated land for a community cemetery. Unmarked graves date to 1844, and the earliest marked burials are from 1856. Bethesda Baptist Church was organized on August 13, 1855. It was the First Baptist Church in the county and was called Cross Timbers Bethesda Baptist Church. Services were held in a log cabin.
Architecture
Bruce-Davis House
Alabama-born Madison Jones, who donated land in Cresson for a school and a Methodist church, had this neighborhood platted in 1889. He sold this lot to Richard Bruce (1849-1895), a stock raiser from a pioneer Johnson County family. Bruce built this modest frame house and embellished the structure with decorative porch trim. The interior has beaded walls and ceilings.
Architecture
Carnegie Library Building
A Cleburne Public Library was begun in 1901 under the direction of the local women's club. In 1902 members of the organization met with New York industrialist and benefactor Andrew S. Carnegie to secure funds for a building. His gift was matched by local contributions and this structure was completed in 1905.
History
Church of the Holy Comforter
As early as 1860, the Rt. Rev. Alexander Gregg, first bishop of Texas, visited Johnson County. This parish, first in the county, was formed 1871; the Rev. Robert S. Nash was first rector. First church building in Cleburne (NE corner, Henderson and Robinson) was completed by congregation of the Holy Comforter in 1874. Present church, built 1893 during ministry of the Rev. W. W.
History
Cleburne Lodge No. 315, A.F. & A.M.
The new town of Cleburne was selected as the Johnson County Seat in 1867. Two years later, The Grand Lodge of Texas granted a charter to the Cleburne Masonic Lodge No. 315. The members built a lodge hall in March 1871 and the town of Cleburne was officially chartered two months later. Early members of the Cleburne Lodge who were influential in the town's development included B. J.
History
Cleburne Town Square
Traces its beginning to 1854 when first house, a log cabin, was built here near a good spring. County seat was bodily moved by wagon to this place (then called Camp Henderson) in 1867, and renamed to honor Patrick Cleburne, a Confederate general under whom many local Civil War veterans had served. Cleburne's growth has been rapid, particularly in the field of commerce, since 1876.
Architecture
Dotey-Kirkham House (Little Old House)
Believed to have been built in the late 1860s or early 1870s, soon after Cleburne was established, the house is within 'water-totin' distance of what became known as City Spring on West Buffalo Creek. This single-story, white clapboard southern colonial cottage was originally the home of Martha Elizabeth Featherston (Aunt Pat) Dotey, sister of prominent Cleburne educator W. B.
History
Early Cattle Trade
Famed for its beef since era of the Republic, Texas fed a great part of the Confederacy-- both civilians and army-- in the Civil War years, 1861-1865. Routes for beef supplying were many: Shreveport Trail to Vicksburg, Miss.; Alexandria Trail to Natchez, Miss.; Opelousas Trail to Woodville, Miss., and on to Mobile, Ala.; Old Government Road to Little Rock, Ark.
History
Emory Home
Maryland native John Samuel Emory (d. 1953) and his wife Mary Elizabeth (Van Cleave) (d. 1957) built this two-story residence in 1907. A successful farmer and stockman, John Emory became one of Grandview's outstanding civic leaders. The Emory home, owned by family members until 1961, reflects influences of the Queen Anne and classical styles.
Architecture
First Methodist Church
Held early services in hall put up by Wm. Balch, who in 1851 founded Alvarado. First church built 1866, burned 1885. This Victorian building with spire and lancet windows, 1886-1887 annexes 1940, 1950, 1960. Still has original bell. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
History
Grandview Masonic Lodge
Chartered on Jun. 14, 1861, the Grandview Masonic Lodge is Johnson County's oldest lodge in continuous operation. It originally shared a building with the Methodist church near current Grandview cemetery. The lodge later relocated with the town to property owned jointly with the church, whose interest was later purchased by the Masons.
History
Grange Hall Cemetery
Nolands River was an early Johnson County community, established in the late 1850s. A local club of the Grange, a farmers' fraternal organization, organized her in 1874, and built a two-story meeting hall called "Grange Hall" that also housed a local school, church and Masonic lodge. In 1878, W.P. and S.M. Kizziar donated land to the Masonic lodge for use as a cemetery.
History
Haley-Smith Cemetery
Thomas Haley came to Johnson County by 1852. After purchasing land from Henry Briden, he built a race track along the Nolands River and began breeding fine horses. Haley was a captain in Parson's mounted volunteers (4th Tex. Dragoons) during the Civil War; he died in February 1865 of wounds sustained in battle. His is the oldest marked burial in Haley-Smith Cemetery.
History
Henry Briden Cabin
Henry Briden (1825-1908) came to Texas from his native Germany in 1845 and served for two years as a Texas Ranger. In 1849, he and his wife, Lucinda Sevier (1831-75), became first permanent white settlers in what is now Johnson County, when they built this cabin on the east bank of Nolan's River (2.5 mil. northwest).
History
John L. and Annie Upshaw Cleveland House
John L. and Annie Upshaw Cleveland House John L. Cleveland was born in Georgia in 1851 to James Monroe and Catherine (Wright) Cleveland. He studied agriculture and business before moving to Midlothian, Texas, to teach and farm.
History
Johnson County
Named for Middleton T. Johnson (1810-1866), native of South Carolina, for 7 terms an Alabama legislator, a leading Texan after 1840. Served in 9th Texas Legislature; in Texas Rangers, Mexican War, Civil War. County created and organized 1854, from land earlier in counties of Ellis, Hill and Navarro. First county seat, Wardville, 1854-1856. Second was Buchanan, 1856-1867.
History
Johnson County Pioneers and Old Settlers Reunion
One of the largest events of its kind in Texas, the Johnson County Pioneers and Old Settlers Reunion traces its beginnings to 1892, when local farmer and newspaper correspondent John James (1852-1927) proposed the idea to some of his neighbors. Although met with initial rejection, James, together with some fellow newspaper writers, organized a picnic at Elm Grove in June 1893.
History
Johnson County Sheriff's Posse
On October 8, 1951, nine men gathered at the Cleburne Livestock Auction barn to create the Johnson County Sheriff's Posse (JCSP). The organization was charged with establishing a local riding group to promote good will among horsemen and other area citizens, create interest in Western stock horses and preserve the traditions of the Old West.