History
Site of the Old Town of Texana
Founded in 1834 by Dr. F. F. Wells, personal friend of Stephen F. Austin. County seat of Jackson County from 1835-1883. Old home of Capt. Clark L. Owen of Civil War fame. Here the following were first organized in Jackson County: Methodist Church in 1838, Masonic Lodge in 1852, Presbyterian Church in 1855. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Site of William Millican's Gin House
First cotton gin in Jackson County. Here was held the memorable "Lavaca-Navidad Meeting" on July 17, 1835. At this meeting resolutions were adopted protesting against the treatment of the Texas colonists by the Mexican government. James Kerr was chairman of the meeting and S.C.A. Rogers, secretary. The first formal public protest was a forerunner of the Declaration of Independence, March 2, 1836.
History
Texana Presbyterian Church
The earliest Presbyterian church in Jackson County, the Texana congregation was formed in 1855 under the leadership of John Adams Brackenridge. The fellowship was established in Texana (8 miles SE), now a ghost town, but once the county seat and a thriving riverport. In 1859 the members constructed this frame sanctuary.
History
Ward-Coates Home
Built in 1860s by Lafayette Ward, Sr., a pioneer rancher who came from Missouri to Texas, 1836. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1965.