History
Birthplace of Texas 4-H Clubs
First Texas Boys' Corn Club was founded in Jacksboro, 1908, by Tom M. Marks (1865-1906), first Jack County agent. This was a forerunner of U.S. 4-H clubs, now international, and part of the cooperative extension service. Lack of adult interest in a 1907 corn show prompted friends to tell Marks, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks". Marks replied, "Then I'll start with the pups".
History
Bryson
Jack County Petroleum Capital. Founder, Henry E. Bryson (September 1, 1839 - October 25, 1909), a Civil War veteran, farmer and stockraiser, built first log cabin here in 1878. After Bryson post office was established in 1882, the town developed as a center for the growing of cotton and grain. Rock Island Railroad reached here in 1902.
History
Community of Jermyn
Located on the western edge of Lost Valley, a 20-square mile area of Jack County, Jermyn was founded in 1909 as site of the roundhouse, depot, and office building for the Gulf, Texas & Western Railroad. It was named for J. J. Jermyn (1852-1928), line's president. Land for the town was donated by Oliver Loving II (grandson of "Dean of Texas Trail Drivers") and W. P. Stewart.
Transport
Former Gulf, Texas & Western Railroad Depot
Erected 1910, of stone from nearby quarry; Risley Brothers, contractors. A facility of Jacksboro's second railroad, built by local effort, with backing from New York bankers, R. C. Megargel & Company. Recorded Texas Historical Landmark, 1968. Incise in base: Marker given by Mr. and Mrs. Aaron Hull
Military
Fort Richardson
As partially reconstructed in 1936. Established by the United States War Department on November 26, 1867 as a protection of the frontier against hostile Indians. Named in honor of General Israel B. Richardson, U.S.A., killed at Antietam, September 17, 1862. Abandoned May 23, 1878 as the line of settlement had passed westward.
Military
Fort Richardson
Established November 26, 1867 by the United States Army to defend the frontier against the Indians. A mail station on the Butterfield Overland Stage Line, 1858-1861. Abandoned as a military post May 23, 1879.
Military
Fort Richardson Cavalry Post Hospital, 1867
In fort built to halt Indian depredations in North Texas. One of buildings and units on inspection in May 1871 by General William Tecumseh Sherman, when news came of massacre of Warren Wagon Trail, 24 miles northwest. Killers, later found at Fort Sill, were brought to trial in Jacksboro - first time Indians were ever tried in the white man's court in North Texas.
Architecture
Fort Richardson Hotel
Built by H. J. Hensley and L. A. Wilson, 1899, on site, old Wichita House, run by Mrs. Francis Duke. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967. Incising on base: Preserved by Ruth Hensley Richards.
History
G. D. Cross
(1855 - 1941) Born in Arkansas. Served in Hunter's Texas Ranger Company 1873-1874, helping remove Indians from Texas. Later became merchant and farmer. Married Mary A. E. Shawver, 1881. Had 13 children. Built this picnic table (where his ranger unit once camped) to be used at family reunions. (1969)
History
Gibtown Cemetery
This area was originally called New Hope City but was later renamed Gibtown in honor of Burdett Levi Gibbins, a local merchant. According to oral tradition, the first cemetery burial was that of a stranger. The first marked grave belongs to Mary C. Stults who died in 1876 at the age of 30, leaving behind a husband and six young daughters. The Methodist Church acquired the property in 1881.
History
Jack County
Created 1856. Organized 1857. Named for W. H. and P. C. Jack, brothers and patriots in the Texas Revolution. Butterfield Overland Mail, 1858-1861, had 3 stage stops in county. In 1861, Jack County voted against secession, 76-14. Most men fought in frontier units. Some were Confederates; others joined Federal army. Fort Richardson was established in 1867.
Transport
Jacksboro's First Railroad Depot
Built 1898 of native stone by Risley Brothers of Jacksboro, for the Chicago, Rock Island & Texas Railway, on site bought from F. F. Foscue (1819-1906), a Texas legislator, owner of Fort Richardson lands. In typical railroad architecture, the depot housed waiting rooms and offices. Mrs. Edith Wilmans, a local rancher, Texas' first (1923) woman legislator, often traveled from this station.
History
James B. Dosher
James B. Dosher moved to Texas in 1847 and served in Cureton's Company of the Texas Rangers. Discharged in 1848, he married Velma Eddings in 1851. They settled in Jack County in early 1855 and worked their farm south of Jacksboro. Dosher also served with Captain Tackett's Company of Texas Rangers. During the Civil War he was active in the Texas State Troops and the Confederate Army.
History
Lost Valley
Marked by "Seven Blue Hills" in distance. To right is Spy Knob -- a lookout during pioneer days. Noted atrocity site: In 1857, the Cambren and Mason families, settlers, were victims of white renegades and Indians. On May 18, 1871, on western rim, teamsters of Warren Wagon Train were killed soon after General W. T. Sherman of the U.S. Army had traveled safely through this valley.
Military
Mobilization Site of Lost Battalion
Battery F, 2nd Battalion, 131st Field Artillery, 36th Division, Texas National Guard mobilized here November 1940, for active duty. Sailed from San Francisco, November 1941, was at sea when Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. Went to defend Java where unit was captured March 1942. Prisoners in many parts of Asia for three and one-half years.
History
Oakwood Cemetery
Burial ground for over a century-- graves dating from 1859. Land was given by old settlers, 1883-1904. Maintained by Oakwood Cemetery Association, organized August 22, 1899, with Miss Alice Rogers first president. Charter was issued January 1908. Endowment fund started October 5, 1947. (1968) Incising on base: Given in memory of association pioneers by Ruth Hensley Richards, Pres.
History
Officers' Quarters
Built in 1867 of lumber cut from cottonwoods growing in nearby river bottoms. One of 5 original officers' quarters. Outlasted fort's barracks and stables, which were built of small vertical timbers (pickets). Style typical of 19th century army posts in the west. Only one left standing the United States. Among men quartered here was General Ranald S.
History
Old Jack County Courthouse Cornerstone
Removed 1885 from third Jack County Courthouse when building was razed. Mounted here in 1966. Old Courthouse was of native limestone, quarried in Jacksboro. For its day, workmanship and stone of finest quality. Bell is also a relic of the third courthouse. It was part of the mechanism in the building's clock tower, and was mounted in frame here by Jacksboro firemen. (1967)
History
Roberts Branch Cemetery
DURING THE EARLY 1870s, A SMALL SETTLEMENT BEGAN TO GROW IN THIS AREA, ALONG THE ROBERTS BRANCH, A TRIBUTARY OF THE WEST FORK OF THE TRINITY RIVER. THE CREEK HAD BEEN NAMED BY SETTLERS AFTER TEXAS SUPREME COURT CHIEF JUSTICE AND FUTURE GOVERNOR ORAN MILO ROBERTS VISITED THE AREA ON A GUBERNATORIAL CAMPAIGN STOP PRIOR TO HIS 1878 ELECTION.
History
Site of Loving Ranch House
Built 1872 by J. C. Loving, the son of pioneer trail driver Oliver Loving. J. C. Loving was an organizer and first secretary of Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association. Organization's first office was at the ranch, which was later operated by Loving's son, Oliver II. (1968)
History
Squaw Mountain Community
Legend tells of a mountaintop skirmish between Native Americans and Texas Rangers in 1875. A woman was accidentally killed; the Rangers buried her on the mountain and named the place for her. In 1877 pioneers began to settle here, and in 1892 a post office and a stagecoach relay station were established.
History
Town of Antelope
Named for springs where herds of antelope watered and Kiowa Indians had a campsite. In 1875, Walter S. Jones platted townsite on Henrietta-Graham mail route. By 1887, place had 400 people, a general store, post office, a school, doctors, hotel, and spa built around its mineral wells. Town was overnight stop and supply point for cattle trails leading north. The G. R. Christian Camp No.
History
Winn Hill Cemetery
Located on the historic Butterfield Stage/Overland Mail Route which traversed this area from 1858-61, this graveyard is named for William H. Wynne, who was killed by Indians in this vicinity in 1863. The Winn Hill community grew up around a rural school in the 1870s. The settlement soon included homes and a church, and by the 1880s this cemetery had been established.
History
Wizard Wells
The Kiowa Indians first visited this location and used the mineral waters for medical purposes. George Washington Vineyard settled here in the 1870s, taking up a claim originally established by David Rowland. Vineyard dug this well for his home but the mineral-tasting water was not used. He suffered from sore eyes and from ulcers on his legs but was cured by bathing in and drinking the water.