History
"Birthplace of Hutchinson County" Isaac McCormack Cottage
Built 1899 with materials hauled at great peril across the Canadian - then without a bridge. Mr. McCormick, his wife Capitola, and 8 children lived in a covered wagon and a tent while they put up their house.
History
Ace Borger Home
The founder of Borger, Missouri-born Asa P. ("Ace") Borger (1888-1934), established other cities in Texas and Oklahoma before he platted this townsite in 1926 and helped transform a rowdy oil town into a stable community. In 1928-29 he and his wife Elizabeth (1888-1933) built this two-story home, the first brick residence in Borger.
History
Battle of Adobe Walls
Was fought here November 25, 1864, when Colonel Christopher (Kit) Carson (1809-1868) with a few companies of United States troops under the protection of the Adobe Walls attacked a band of hostile Kiowa and Comanche Indians and killed over 60 braves. This was "Kit" Carson's last fight. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Beale Road
Edward Fitzgerald "Ned" Beale was a significant figure in 19th century America. In his long career, he was a naval officer, military general, explorer, diplomat, rancher and frontiersman. He fought in the U.S.-Mexico War, emerging as a hero of the Battle of San Pasqual in 1846. He also carried the first gold sample from California to the East, contributing to the gold rush.
History
Bents Creek
(About 1.5 miles east) Named for Charles (1799-1847) and William Bent (1809-1869), famed for frontier trading with mountain men and "wild" Indians. As early as 1835 they came from their headquarters near present La Junta, Colo., to trade with the Kiowas and Comanches along the Canadian River, in this vicinity.
History
Drift Fence
Famed cattleman Charles Goodnight established one of the first ranches in the Texas Panhandle, the J A Ranch, in 1876. Later that year, Thomas S. Bugbee established the first cattle ranch in Hutchinson County. As a result of soaring beef prices cattle ranching proliferated in this region of the U.S. in the 1880s.
History
Drift Fence
Famed cattleman Charles Goodnight established one of the first ranches in the Texas Panhandle, the J A Ranch, in 1876. Later that year, Thomas S. Bugbee established the first cattle ranch in Hutchinson County. As a result of soaring beef prices cattle ranching proliferated in this region of the U.S. in the 1880s.
History
Fifteen miles to the Site of the Battle of Adobe Walls
Fifteen miles to the site of the Battle of Adobe Walls. Fought on November 25, 1864 between Kiowa and Comanche Indians and United States troops commanded by Colonel Christopher Carson, 1809-1868. This was "Kit" Carson's last fight.
History
First Battle of Adobe Walls
(November 25, 1865) Largest Indian battle in Civil War. 15 miles east, at ruins of Bent's Old Fort, on the Canadian. 3,000 Comanches and Kiowas, allies of the South, met 372 Federals under Col. Kit Carson, famous scout and mountain man. Though Carson made a brilliant defense - called greatest fight of his career - the Indians won.
History
Fort Smith-Santa Fe Trail
Josiah Gregg (1806-50) blazed the Fort Smith-Santa Fe Trail in 1840 as a shorter route between the U.S. and New Mexico. He crossed this site on March 17, 1840, while returning to Arkansas from a trading expedition to Santa Fe and Chihuahua. In a book, "Commerce of the Prairies", published in 1844, Gregg recommended the new route, which paralleled the Canadian River.
History
Girl Scout Little House
This community landmark has its origins in Borger's prewar oil boom. In early 1941, Hudson Davis opened a car dealership here, moving his family from Amarillo. Hudson and his wife Ruby immediately became involved in civic activities, with Hudson joining the Lions Club, Chamber of Commerce and other groups.
History
Grand Hotel and Grand Hardware Building
After the discovery of oil in this area, Borger developed as a townsite in 1926. Gus (1895-1971) and John Yiantsou (1881-1948), Greek immigrants, came here from St. Louis and opened a restaurant. Gus bought this property and in 1927 erected this building, one of the first large structures in the booming town. The brothers opened Grand Hardware and Variety Store on the first floor in 1929.
History
Gulf Dial #1 Oil Well
The southeastern Texas oil field, Spindletop, erupted on January 10, 1901, launching an oil boom in the state. This prompted many corporations and individuals to begin drilling for oil in Texas. By the 1920s, the rush reached the Texas Panhandle. In May 1921, The Gulf Production Company discovered oil at Gulf Burnett #2 well in Carson County.
History
Holt School
A county-wide public school district was established soon after Hutchinson County was created in 1901. As more people began to settle in the area, regional school districts were formed. Common School District No. 8 was established in the northeastern corner of the county in 1902. The first schoolhouse, located on land owned by Benjamin Calvin Holt, was a one-room structure built in 1903.
Architecture
Hutchinson County Courthouse
Hutchinson County, named for prominent judge and writer Anderson Hutchinson, was one of 54 counties created out of the District of Bexar in 1876 by the Texas Legislature. It was not until 1901, however, that the county was officially organized. That year a temporary county courthouse was erected in the county seat of Plemons. A permanent courthouse was built in Plemons by contractor E. E. Ackers.
History
Plemons Bridge
In May 1926, two months after the discovery of oil in Hutchinson County led to establishment of the city of Borger, county commissioners awarded a contract to the Austin Bridge Co. of Dallas for construction of a bridge to cross the Canadian River.
History
Plemons Cemetery
The town of Plemons was settled about 1898 when James A. Whittenburg, an area rancher, built a dugout house in a hill overlooking a bend in the Canadian River about seven miles northeast of this site. The town was named for Barney Plemons, son of Amarillo judge and State Legislator William Buford Plemons, and when Hutchinson County was organized in Spring 1901, Plemons was chosen county seat. E.
History
Site of John and Maggie Weatherly Half-Dugout Site
This structure is a copy of a half-dugout erected in 1898 near this location by John (1865-1944) and Maggie Weatherly (1875-1968). The High Plains offered no native stone or timber for building materials. Instead, settlers lived in dugouts, built into the thick sod. Well-insulated, the dugouts were cool in summer and warm in winter.
History
Spring Creek School
Established in 1900, a year before Hutchinson County was formally organized, the Spring Creek School is an early and significant part of the county's educational heritage. In that year, W. B. Haile and other area ranchers collected funds to buy materials to build the first schoolhouse. Located on the Harvey Ranch near Spring Creek, the schoolhouse served 13 students, taught by Mrs. L. S.
History
Twentieth Century Club
Borger, the oil-boom town that sprang to life here in 1926, had among its otherwise transient and rowdy early citizenry, a social and professional group of people accustomed to a more refined cultural and literary environment. Such a person was Sadie McBride, society editor for the "Borger Daily Herald" newspaper.