History
John Gordon Beasley
(July 3, 1888 -- April 5, 1959) A leading figure in 20th-century Crockett history, John Gordon "Big Jack" Beasley, Sr., was involved in a number of local businesses, including the Davy Crockett Federal Savings and Loan, which he helped organize in 1928. Beasley served as mayor of Crockett (1936-1940) during the city's centennial celebration.
History
John Lawrence Hall
(October 25, 1809 -- August 25, 1857) ' Maryland native John Lawrence Hall lived in New Orleans before coming to Texas in 1831. Hall served in the Texas Army (1835-36), Republic of Texas Army (1841), and in the Mexican War (1846). He added to the land grants he received for military service and became a successful land speculator.
History
John Long
(May 7, 1792 - Oct. 17, 1859) Tennessee native John Long served in the War of 1812 before moving to Texas with his wife, Elizabeth, between 1836 and 1842. He and his sons, Samuel and William, were issued land certificates in Houston County and settled here, becoming involved in the early political and business development of the county.
History
John T. Smith
(March 5, 1815 -- February 16, 1874) New York-born John Titus Smith moved to Texas from Georgia in 1849. He settled on a cotton plantation at McKenzie's Bend on the Trinity River and operated the steamboat "Ida Reese". Smith served as Chief Justice (County Judge) of Houston County, 1854-60.
History
John Wortham
A pioneer area landowner and farmer, John Wortham (1804-67) was a petitioner for the creation of Houston County in 1837. He later served as a captain of an independent ranger company, as major in the Republic of Texas Army and as quartermaster of the Texas Militia.
History
Joseph Randolph Yarbrough
(Jan. 31, 1817 -- Mar. 26, 1867) A native of Louisiana, Joseph Randolph Yarbrough served in the Texas War for Independence from Mexico and was assigned to guard the camp opposite Harrisburg during the Battle of San Jacinto. He and his father, John Swanson Yarbrough, signed the petition requesting the creation of Houston county in 1837. In 1840, he married Phebe Clementine Crawford (1823-1907).
History
Joseph Redmond Rice and Willie Masters Rice
Joseph Redmond Rice (May 24, 1805 - Aug. 11, 1866) and Willie Masters Rice (Aug. 17, 1809 - Sept. 6, 1881) Tennessean Joseph R. Rice married Willie, daughter of Jacob Masters, about 1825. By 1828 they lived in a log cabin near this spot. Their children were Sarah (b. 1826), Jacob (b. 1828), twins deceased in infancy, Amanda Elizabeth (1832-1910), John (1838-62), Francis (1841-61), Joseph R., Jr.
History
Joseph T. Bowman
A native of Illinois, Joseph T. Bowman was the son of Jesse B. Bowman, who died at the Alamo. Arriving in Texas in 1835, Joseph T. Bowman enlisted in a company known as U.S. Provisionals in Nacogdoches. In December 1835 he signed the Goliad Declaration of Independence, which resolved that Texas should become an independent Mexican state.
History
Judge Elijah Gossett
Judge Elijah Gossett A solider in the Army of Texas, 1836 Chief Justice of Houston County, 1841 Born in Tennessee Feb. 1, 1788 Died Nov. 24, 1848 His wife Elizabeth (Stone) Gossett Born in Tennessee Sept. 1, 1789 Died July 6, 1849 Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Kennard
The town of Kennard was founded in 1903 by the Louisiana and Texas Lumber Company and platted on 160 acres. Land agent Alexander McTavish also acted as Kennard's first postmaster. The town served as a terminus for the Eastern Texas Railroad, a line established to transport timber to Angelina County.
History
Lake Creek Cemetery
Emancipated African Americans established the Durden and Lake Creek communities in the area following the Civil War. For many years most families buried loved ones on their own farms. In 1906, Malissa Scurlock and her two sons, Dan and George, donated three acres of their land as a community burial ground.
History
Liberty Hill Community
Among the earliest settlers in this area of Houston County were George W. Wilson and his family who came here from Kentucky in 1835. Other early pioneers were John W. Bodenhamer, James and William McLean and William W. Davis. Although a townsite was never platted and a post office was never established, Liberty Hill developed into a rural community.
History
Livelyville Cemetery
South Carolina native Thomas Lively (1812-69) moved to Houston County in 1850. The community that developed around his land was named Livelyville in honor of his family. In the late 1850s he donated this part of his property for use as a cemetery. Headstones date from the 1880s and included those of pioneer area settlers and Lively family members.
History
Lovelady Evergreen Cemetery
The community cemetery dates to the 1870s, when Lovelady was developing as a railroad center for the surrounding agricultural area. Land for the section known as Old Cemetery was conveyed to trustees of the Lovelady Cemetery Association in 1878 and in 1896. The first grave, that of Parham Bridges Baker (b. 1876) is dated 1878.
History
Lula Demby Dailey
(June 16, 1878 - December 19, 1976) Born in the Wheeler Springs community, Lula Demby attained bachelor's and master's degrees from Prairie View College (1903-1910) and returned home to begin her career as an educator. She married Mose Dailey and became principal of the two-room, eight-grade Wheeler Springs School, working tirelessly to expand educational opportunities for her students.
History
Major Isaac Watts Burton
Veteran of San Jacinto Commander of the "Horse Marines" in June, 1836 A Senator in the Congress of the Republic 1836-1839 Born in Georgia in 1805 Died in January, 1843 Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Mary Allen Seminary
In 1886 the Board of Missions for Freedmen of the Presbyterian Church in the United States, under the leadership of the group's secretary the Rev. Richard Allen, began planning for the establishment of a black girls' school in Texas.
History
McCarter Cemetery
Born in Pennsylvania in 1813, John McCarter (McCarty) came to Texas in 1832. He married Jane Lasiter in August 1854, and the couple had nine children: Fisher, James, Robert, Mattie, Belle, Mary Susan, Kate, Elizabeth and David Christopher. The family's farmstead was located in this vicinity, where the family also established a cemetery. John (d.
History
Miller-Spinks-Mayes Property
This corner of the town square was developed as a law office after state legislator and Houston County judge S.A. Miller (1805-1893) purchased it in 1840. In 1891, Rudd Crawford Spinks (1856-1938) bought the site and built a two-story brick building for his jewelry store with living quarters on the second floor. W.E.
History
Milligan Cemetery
Settlers in this area established the Ephesus community and used this site as a burial ground. Also known as Millican Cemetery, the Milligan Cemetery may have been established as early as 1840. The first marked grave, however, dates to 1869 and is that of infant Ella Wall.
History
Mission San Francisco de los Tejas
Was founded near this marker May 24, 1690, at the Nabedache (Tejas) Indian Village ----------------- Erected, A. D. 1934, by DeZavala Chapter, Texas Historical and Landmarks Association. ----------------- Located by: Dr. Albert Woldert, Tyler, Texas. Miss Adina DeZavala, San Antonio, Texas Assisted by Mr. J. M. Lovell, Augusta, Texas
History
Mission San Francisco de los Tejas
First Spanish Mission in East Texas. Established in 1690 by Franciscan friars to convert the Tejas Indians. "Tejas", a Spanish rendition of the Indian word for "friend", was in time adopted as the state name. The founding party was led by Capt. Alonso de Leon, a veteran explorer making his fifth journey into Texas.
History
Mission Santissimo Nombre de Maria
Was founded in this vicinity summer 1690 "on the banks of the Arcangel San Miguel" (Neches) River. Erected A.D. 1934 by De Zavala Chapter, Texas Historical and Landmarks Association. Located by: Dr. Albert Woldert, Tyler, Texas; Miss Adina De Zavala, San Antonio, Texas. Assisted by Mr. J.M. Lovell, Augusta, Texas.
Architecture
Monroe-Crook House
Built 1854 by A.T. Monroe, prominent merchant and grandnephew of U.S. President James Monroe. Style is Greek Revival. Bricks between the inner and outer walls provide insulation and strength. Attorney George W. Crook bought the house in 1911. It is now owned and preserved by his daughter. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1969
History
New Energy Cemetery
Established with the burial of a traveler on the land of Mary (Polly) Rice, this cemetery dates to the Civil War era. The first grave that bears an inscribed tombstone, that of Walter Ashmore, is dated 1870. Over the years members of the Duren and Hill families have deeded acreage for the burial ground.