History
George G. Alford
(June 17, 1793 -- April 1, 1847) New York native George G. Alford, an officer in the War of 1812, came to Texas from Missouri in 1836. During the Texas Revolution he served as Gen. Sam Houston's quartermaster general. Captured by Mexican forces after the was while on a supply trip for the Republic of Texas, he was released by Mexican forces through intervention by the U.S.
History
Germany
Settled by families of former slaves following the Civil War, this community received its name, according to local tradition, in reference to the homeland of the German immigrant family that had settled in the area in the 1830s.
History
Givens Homesite
Solomon George Givens and his wife Lula (Burleson), both born in Houston County in 1871, were the children of former slaves. They were married in Crockett in 1891, and in 1892 they bought 34 acres of land here. Their farm proved a success and in 1893 they built a large 8-room house at this site.
History
Givens Homesite
Solomon George Givens and his wife Lula (Burleson), both born in Houston County in 1871, were the children of former slaves. They were married in Crockett in 1891, and in 1892 they bought 34 acres of land here. Their farm proved a success and in 1893 they built a large 8-room house at this site.
History
Glenwood Cemetery
Crockett's Oldest Burial Ground - Glenwood Cemetery. In original townsite of Crockett. Opened soon after Houston County was created and the county seat founded in 1837. Burials include early Texas heroes and statesmen; a friend visited by David Crockett on way to the Alamo; a grandnephew of U.S. of U.S. President Monroe; and city's first elected major.
History
Glenwood Cemetery (North Sector)
In original townsite of Crockett. Opened soon after Houston County was created and the county seat founded in 1837. Burials include early Texas heroes and statesmen; a friend visited by David Crockett on way to the Alamo; a grandnephew of U.S. President Monroe; and city's first elected mayor. (1972)
History
Glover School
Established in 1881, the Glover School served residents of the rural Glover Community. Under the direction of teacher James Breeze, a one-room schoolhouse was built on A.E. Sloan's land, now the site of the Old Glover Cemetery. A consolidated school district was formed in 1836 and the third schoolhouse was built at this site soon after. Destroyed by fire in 1938, it was rebuilt the next year.
History
Grounds Cemetery
George (1803-1860) and Catherine (Rice) Grounds (1810-1880) settled in this area about 1829. Their arrival coincided with that of Catherine's brother, Joseph R. Rice, Sr., who settled his family about 5 miles southwest of this site in 1828. This cemetery was established in 1860 with the burial of George Grounds. By 1883 the graveyard had been legally set aside.
History
Guiceland Cemetery
This cemetery was established about 1871, when William Guice, infant son of Benjamin and Caston Dania Guice, was buried on family land. The oldest tombstone is that of George W. Brightman (1830-1877). Hundreds of members of the Guiceland Community are buried here, including veterans of the Texas Revolution, the Civil War, World Wars I and II, Korea and Vietnam.
History
Hall's Bluff
Maryland native Joshua James Hall migrated to Texas and purchased a land grant in 1839 on the east side of the Trinity River. Hall and his son, James Madison Hall, established a port and ferry on the Trinity River as a shipping point for Houston County settlers.
History
Harry Frederick Moore
(December 15, 1854 -- April 20, 1926) Harry F. Moore began his banking career in Ohio, where he married Anna Laura May in 1885. They moved to Galveston in 1890, then to Crockett in 1891. He assisted in organizing the First National Bank, and in 1904 became president. Serving for 22 years, he set an example for his successors, including two of his sons.
History
Hayes Park
Named for Dr. J.W. Hayes (1854-1932), who came from Tennessee to Texas in 1860s and was a trail driver, locomotive engineer, and rancher. Entering Kentucky School of Medicine at 40, he graduated and became missionary to Indians. Wife Lena Belle (1883-1920). A son, G.J. Hayes, M.D., gave park site to honor outstanding physicians of Augusta since the 1860s: Drs. S.P.
Architecture
Henry Allen Pennington House
Built in 1889 as a dog trot cabin with four rooms, this house originally served as the residence of the Henry Allen Pennington family. Houston County native Pennington (1853-1925) and his wife, Mary (Beeson) (1851-1937), had ten children. In 1892, they added a kitchen, dining area, and short hall. The central hallway was enclosed in 1928.
History
Hill Cemetery
This family cemetery was established in November 1900 when Maxie Gregg Hill (1859-1935) and his wife Mollie (Dominy) (1869-1942) set aside a plot of land on their farm to bury their son, Dudley, who died at the age of four months. Maxie Gregg and Mollie Hill, eleven of their sixteen children and several generations of their descendants are interred in the Hill Cemetery.
History
Homesite of Samuel Cartmill Hiroms
One of the community's pioneer settlers, Samuel Cartmill Hiroms (1836-1920) was born in Polk County. His parents were among Stephen F. Austin's "Old Three Hundred" colonists. Hiroms taught school and served as Polk County surveyor. He served in the Confederate Army during the Civil War (1861-1865).
History
House Built by A. T. Monroe
House built by A. T. Munroe, nephew of U.S. president who issued the Monroe Doctrine. Structure is hand-hewn Louisiana heart oak over brick inner walls. Noted as a center of social activities. Since 1911 in the family of prominent attorney George W. Crook. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
Architecture
Houston County Courthouse
In early 1938, the Houston County commissioners court, with County Judge B. F. Bradley presiding, began making plans for construction of the county's fifth courthouse. Built in 1939 with funds from the federal Public Works Administration, the building was designed by Houston County native Blum Hester and constructed by Eckert-Fair Construction Co. of Dallas.
History
Houston-Leon County Coal Company
The Houston County Coal and Manufacturing Company was formed in 1900 for the purpose of mining lignite. Near this site, a slope mine was opened and a company town named Wooters was established. Company founders were A. H. Wooters, D. A. Nunn, G. Q. King, and Eli Elkins; John LeGory joined as a principal partner in 1906.
History
Houston's Mound
At 552 feet above sea level this oblong knoll rises to the highest elevation in the area. Known as Houston's Mound as early as the 1830s, it afforded Native Americans, pioneers, and soldiers a view of the surrounding terrain. William T. Sadler (1797-1884) acquired land here which included the mound in the 1820s.
History
Isaac Adair Daniel
(February 18, 1864 -- December 17, 1924) A native of Houston County, Ike Daniel was a prominent businessman with assets in Kennard and Crockett. Among his various businesses were a general store, gristmill, cotton gin, sawmill, and real estate dealings. He served as Houston County Sheriff from 1892-94 and also represented the county in the State Legislature for three terms.
History
James Elbert Downes
(October 31, 1845 -- January 25, 1917) A native of Houston County, James Elbert Downes was the son of area pioneers. He served in the Civil War and was later active in the local Confederate veterans association. He was married to Elizabeth Brown in 1871 and they were the parents of three sons. A prominent local business and civic leader, Downes devoted much of his time to the Methodist Church.
History
James English
(1810 - 1871) A native of Tennessee who settled in East Texas in the 1820s, James English fought in the siege of Bexar (1835) and served as comissioner for the Shelby County Militia during the Texas Revolution. English received a land grant in Houston County for his service to the Republic of Texas.
History
Jane Dotson Lively
(July 25, 1822 -- October 10, 1922) A native of Alabama, Jane Dotson Lively came to Houston County in 1850 with her husband Thomas Lively, for whom the surrounding community was named. An active leader of the settlement, she assisted in setting up a church and school on the family land.
History
Jim English Cemetery
This burial ground, located on a 640 acre grant that James English received for his service in the Texas Army, originally served the Randolph Community. English established the settlement that developed here in 1850. The first known interment is that of Archibald English in 1857. Although James English sold his farm in 1866, the burial site continued to serve the Randolph Community.
History
John Edward Nite_Lucy Stepp Nite
John Edward Nite (1805-1849) Lucy Stepp Nite (1807-1865) John Edward Nite, born in North Carolina, married Lucy Stepp, a native of Georgia, in 1826. Although robbed of $1800 in gold enroute to Texas from Tennessee in 1835, they were able to secure 1,506 acres of land along the Trinity River in Houston County by 1838.