Architecture
Donna Central Elementary School
Built as the result of a special bond election in 1925, this is the oldest existing structure in the Donna Independent School District. Initially an elementary school, it served as a junior high facility from 1965 to 1983. Designed by the architectural firm of Elwing & Mulhausen, it is a highly significant part of Donna's built environment.
History
Donna Public Schools
The present school system for the town of Donna can be traced to a 1904 school in the Runn community (6 mi. S). Classes were first held in the home of A. F. Hester, a founder of Donna. The earliest school for the new town opened in 1908. Teachers held classes in a one-room structure and a store building until completion of the first schoolhouse in 1911.
History
Ebony Grove Cemetery
This cemetery, named for the land's clusters of ebony trees, began in 1922. The American Rio Grande Land and Irrigation Company developed Mercedes and about 200 square miles of adjacent farmlands, also deeding nearly nine acres to the Mercedes Cemetery Association, which still cares for the burial ground. Among the earliest marked graves are those of siblings Maude Evans (d. 1876) and Eugene E.
Architecture
Edinburg Junior College Auditorium
Designed by the Austin architectural firm of Giesecke and Harris, this structure was built in 1926 to serve the newly-created Edinburg Junior College. In addition to serving the college and succeeding educational institutions, the auditorium has also been used by the city as a cultural center. The Gothic Revival style building features ogee-arched windows and ornamental stonework.
History
El Granjeno Cemetery
El Granjeno Cemetery was established in 1872 with the burial of Don Antonio Garza. His brother, Don Juan Garza Escheverria, donated the surrounding land for use by the communities of El Granjeno and nearby Madero. A native of Reynosa, Mexico, Don Juan (b. 1854) is buried here, along with many of his descendants. Also interred here are veterans of the Civil War, World War I and the Vietnam War.
History
El Horcon Tract and Rio Rico
The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo which ended the Mexican War (1846-48) designated the main channel of the Rio Grande as the Mexico-U.S. boundary. Disputes arising from frequent changes in the river's course led to the Treaty of 1884 which recognized only those river diversions resulting from natural occurences.
History
El Sal del Rey
(The Salt of the King) Directly to the north. Upon Spanish discovery, 1746, claimed for King, under old law that salt was money. People of wide area got salt here. 1863-64 works aided Texas in the Civil War. Later disputes over El Sal del Rey established Texas laws for private ownership of minerals. (1964)
History
El Sal del Rey, C.S.A.
Front side: Large salt lake located 26 miles northeast was principal source of salt in South Texas during the Civil War. Put under state guard and agent 1862. Salt sold to families, Texas Military Board, Army of Confederacy and wagons returning north on cotton road-vital trade route for South thru Mexico.
History
Elder B. Barton
Born in New York City in 1806, Elder Barton was a formative figure in Hidalgo County history. Barton joined the Republic of Texas' army on March 13, 1836, and fought at the Battle of San Jacinto under Capt. Robert J. Calder. He married Santitos Balli of Matamoros, Tamps., Mexico, and had 16 children, including Washington Barton.
History
Eli Jackson Cemetery
In 1857, Nathaniel Jackson came from Alabama and established a ranch in this area. A former slave owner, Jackson, who was white, came with his wife Matilda Hicks, who was black, their children and his freed slaves. On his 5,500-acre ranch, Jackson raised livestock and grew vegetables, cotton and sugarcane. He also established a chapel that served family and friends.
History
Emilia Schunior Ramirez
Hidalgo County native Emilia Schunior (1902-1960) graduated from Edinburg High in 1919 and married Rafael Ramirez in 1921; the couple had four children. Emilia attended college and earned a B.A. in 1940, becoming a teacher and principal at several Rio Grande Valley schools.
History
Everitt Building
One of the earliest commercial ventures in Edinburg, this building was completed in 1910 by John Closner (1853-1932), a founder of the townsite. Its first tenant was the Rev. W. O. Miller, who operated a hardware and machinery store. During World War I, it was used as a Red Cross workshop. In 1920 the property was acquired by E. M. Everitt, who used the building primarily as a grocery store.
History
First Pharr School
Erected in 1911 as a one-story structure, this building housed the first school in Pharr. John Bales, the contractor, built a number of the town's early structures. Classes were held here until 1915, when enrollment had grown from nine students to almost 80. During that time, the building also served as a community church.
History
First Pharr-San Juan-Alamo School
The common school district of Pharr and San Juan began construction of this school in 1915. First used for the 1916-1917 school year, its enrollment was 143, with twelve teachers and a graduating class of nine. The name was changed in 1919 to Pharr-San Juan Independent School District.
History
First Presbyterian Church
In 1920, area Presbyterians built a manse under the supervision of the Rev. Horace N. Cunningham; services were held in the building. In January 1921, seven charter members organized First Presbyterian Church. They completed a church building in 1923; it was replaced in 1951 by a larger church, designed by noted area architect and church member, William C. Baxter.
History
First Presbyterian Church of McAllen
This church began with McAllen's first Presbyterian worship service, held by the Rev. M.W. Doggett in a local lumberyard in 1908. Dr. W. A. King and George Pollack were first elders. Although adversely affected by the Mexican Revolution (1909-1919) the church was sustained by its Women's Society, formed in 1909.
History
Former Hidalgo Post Office
Oldest in existence. Built 1889 to house a general merchandise store. One part was reserved for the town's postal service, then in its 32nd year, served until 1913. Store owner William Odell, his wife Josephine, and Gumaro, son of co-owner Desiderio Rodriguez, were Postmasters. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1965
Transport
Former Station Site of Spiderweb Railroad
The agricultural boom that marked the early development of this area was due in large part to the San Benito & Rio Grande Valley Railroad. Begun in 1912 by Missouri native Sam A. Robertson (1867-1938), it was called the Spiderweb Railroad because of its intricate network of lines and spurs.
History
Gibson Park
During the Great Depression, displaced Midwesterners came to Weslaco and established Hooverville shantytowns. Hoping to improve their living conditions, in 1934, the Weslaco Lions Club worked to establish a park. William Henry Hoge and J.J. Gibson, for whom the park would be named, donated acreage.
History
Gregg Wood Home
David Gregg Wood, Sr. (1876-1965) originally came to the Valley in 1893 and settled in Mission in 1908. Wood, who served as mayor, city commissioner, and president of the First National Bank, led the way for many improvements in the area's water, sewage, and irrigation systems. This Bungalow style home was built for his family in 1917, with the second story added in the 1920s.
History
Guadalupe Cemetery
This cemetery, named for Mexico's patron saint, Our Lady of Guadalupe, was established in 1913 as a public burial ground for residents of the Pharr community. The Pharr townsite was laid out in 1909, and though ranch graveyards existed south of here, they were unavailable to newcomers. The earliest interment here, of Roberto de Leal, an infant, dates to 1913.
History
Handy Ranch
Thomas J. Handy (1843-1927) first came to the Rio Grande Valley from Wisconsin as a Union solider during the Civil War. While stationed with Co. F, 4th Wisconsin cavalry, handy met Angelita Cavazos (ca. 1844-1925). The two were married on April 25, 1866 at her family's asadores ranch, located along the military highway that paralleled the rio grande.
History
Havana
Located on land known as Porcion 46, ceded by the crown of Spain to Don Jose Matias Tijerina in 1767, the community of Havana was named for Havana, Cuba, where Tijerina had stopped on his journey from Europe. Among the early settlers here were the families of Josefa de la Garza Salinas and Civil War Union soldier Patricio Perez. A frame church was built in 1891 and named for St. Joseph.
History
Hidalgo City Cemetery
This historic graveyard dates from 1884, with its oldest grave marker being that of Elder B. Barton (1815-1884). The cemetery was included in the 46.4 acre Pate's Addition to the Town of Hidalgo, developed in 1926 by Joe Pate. His wife, Kate, donated another 1.28 acres for cemetery use in 1963. Numerous veterans are buried here, with service from the Texas Revolution to modern conflicts.
History
Hidalgo County
Formed from Starr and Cameron counties. Created January 24, 1842. Organized April 7, 1854. Named in Honor of Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla -- 1753-1811 Mexican Patriot County Seat, 1852, Edinburgh, name changed February 7, 1861, to Hidalgo. Moved to present site, then called Chapin, October 12, 1908. Name changed to Edinburg, February 3, 1911.