Industry & Science
Site of Hawn Lumber Company
As the geographic center of the newly redrawn Henderson County lines, Athens became the county seat in 1850. Charles H. and Lillian (Barksdale) Hawn arrived with a load of lumber on the first train to stop in Athens in 1881. Charles Hawn quickly established a role for himself and his family in the village.
History
Site of Old Normandy
First Norwegian colony in Texas. Founded in 1845 by Johan Reinert Reierson (1810-1864) and Ole Reierson, of Holt, Norway. In "Christianssandsposten," J.R. Reierson urged Norwegians to find "a rich life" by migrating to Texas. His associate editor, Elise Tvede (1815-1895), also came to Texas and continued writing for publications in Norway.
History
St. Paul Industrial Training School
The historic St. Paul community, a self-sufficient African American settlement, became renowned for its school and its remarkable husband and wife educators. James Willliam Smothers (1896-1975) of Mt. Meggs, Alabama, was a graduate of Hampton Institute (Virginia) and Prairie View College. Alice Olenza Wingfield (1899-2000) of Greenville, Alabama, graduated from Tuskegee Institute (Alabama).
History
The Athens Review
"The Athens Review" was established as a weekly newspaper by J. B. Bishop and George M. Johnson, editors and owners on Dec. 24, 1885. The earliest newspaper in Henderson County, "The Athens Bulletin," had been founded by printer J. H. Cox and Professor J. E. Thomas in 1873, 23 years after the present boundaries of Henderson County were established. It operated for about two years.
History
The Trinity River
Three main tributaries-- the West, Elm, and East forks-- feed the Trinity from headwaters in North Texas. Discovery of prehistoric Malakoff Man carved stone heads near this site in the 20th century revealed that humans inhabited the Trinity valley thousands of years ago. Indian villages dotted the river banks when European exploration began.
History
Thomas Cemetery
Located in a pasture across a creek on top of a hill, this historic cemetery is on land from the Alexander de la Garza survey. Jacob Thomas (1800-1880) was a planter from North Carolina who moved to Georgia where he married Hannah Stubbs in 1823. They had two children, Elizabeth 'Eveline' Thomas and Alfred 'Sylvester' Thomas. Shortly thereafter, the family moved to Alabama.
History
Union Cemetery
By 1860, David Thompson acquired land in this vicinity on the original Hezekiah Mitcham land survey. He established a grist mill and cotton gin on Wildcat Creek. Thompson's sons conveyed land at this site for Union Church and School purposes. By 1885, the date of the earliest marked grave, local residents used the land adjacent to the church for burial.
History
Walnut Creek Community
Walnut Creek Community As early as 1850, farm families inhabited this area along Walnut Creek. Growing grains, cotton and sugar cane for cash crops, residents also raised livestock and planted family gardens in what became known as the Walnut Creek community. For shipping local products, the closest rail stop to the settlement's center was west, at Daufin.
History
William P. Avant
(1826-1863) Alabama born William Avant grew up in what is now Henderson County after coming to Texas with his parents in 1834. At the age of 14, he served with his father, Durham, as a Texas Ranger. In 1849 he was issued a land grant in the Mercer colony (NE of present-day Athens) and settled there with his wife, Rutha, and their children.
History
William Richardson
(Dec. 6, 1805 - May 30, 1864) Born in South Carolina, William Richardson moved to Pickens County, Alabama in 1830. There he married Mary "Polly" Kilpatrick (1813-1889) on Feb. 13, 1834. Children born to them were John K., James J., Sara F., Margaret C., Martha E., William A., Peter M., Andrew J., Franklin P., Ann, Allen, Texana, Mary M., and Judeth.
History
Yarborough Home
Occupied since 1903 by Charles Richard and Nannie Jane Spear Yarborough and 3 generations of descendants. Birthplace in 1903 of United States Senator Ralph Webster Yarborough. In this house Charles R. Yarborough, as justice of the peace, performed many marriage ceremonies. In this house, he and Mrs. Yarborough on June 13, 1939, celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary. Here on Jan.