History
58 Yards West to Routes of Historic Trails
During the mass slaughter of buffaloes in the Panhandle, two trails arose to meet the needs of the hunters and their ever-hungry markets. Started about 1876, both moved vast convoys of wagons across the plains. Charles Rath-- transporting gun powder, lead, tobacco, whiskey, and food staples-- blazed a road from Dodge City to the Double Mountains.
History
Anvil Park Ranch
Begun 1891 by blacksmith J. C. Studer who came from Kansas in 1886. His occupation inspired Anvil brand and name of ranch. Ran only purebred cattle after 1919. Drew top cattle buyers. Spread grew from two sections to 5,000 acres. Famous for annual professional rodeo 1918 to 1941. Attracted top cowboys from throughout nation. Many stars of rodeo world started here.
History
Canadian River Trails
Trade, exploration and hunting trails along the Canadian are older than recorded history-old when used 1541 by Spaniard Coronado hunting golden cities of Cibola. Route in 1840 for Josiah Gregg and 34 Missouri men with goods worth $25,000 headed for trade in Santa Fe. Used by 1849 parties escorted by U.S. Army Captain R. B. Marcy on way to California gold rush.
History
Edith Ford Memorial Cemetery
Thomas T. McGee, the first Sheriff of the town of Canadian, was buried in 1894 on a hill on the east side of town. There were already grave markers there dating back to 1883. McGee's widow, Mary, purchased the land and it became known as the McGee cemetery. More land was bought in 1933 by the Youngs who established a fund to maintain the cemetery.
History
First National Bank of Canadian
Successor to first bank in Texas Panhandle: the Traders' Bank at Canadian, organized by Henry Hamburg and Robert Moody on August 1, 1887. In 1892 Moody and D. J. Young, his son-in-law, established the Canadian Valley Bank. The two men converted it into the First National Bank of Canadian in 1903. Moody was an official at all three banks. The present structure was built in 1920. Architect was J. C.
History
Fletcher and Donley Stage Station
(Site 3 miles northwest) A rest stop in the 1870s and 80s on military and stage line. Serviced wagon trains, buffalo hide caravans, and cattle herds. Was also mail pick-up station. Former buffalo hunter-scout Ed Fletcher ran the station. His partners were Jimmie Donley (the head cook) and Tobe Robinson. All had been Indian fighters.
History
Former Site of Hogtown
Forerunner of town of Canadian. Sprang up, 1886, as a tent city for railroad gang working on Southern Kansas line. Named for poor appearance-- like a hogpen. After landowner Sam Pollard and railroad disputed price for land, line moved across river, taking populace with it. (1969)
Military
Gen. Nelson Miles Expedition (Headquarters Dugout)
Indian raids brought General Miles' men to Texas in 1874 as part of U.S. Army pincer's tactic operating from a dugout post. The twelve infantry and cavalry units had supply camps on the Canadian, Red and Washita rivers. On November 8, 1874, Gen. Miles' troops recovered two captive sisters, Addie and Julia German. Two older sisters, Catherine and Sophia German, were freed February 28, 1875.
Nature
Gene Howe Wildlife Management Area
The Gene Howe Wildlife Management Area contains approximately 6,000 acres of upland sandhills, pastures, natural meadows and woodlands fronting the north bank of the Canadian River. Named for Eugene A. Howe, Amarillo newspaper publisher, dedicated conservationist and member of the Texas Game and Fish Commission for more than 19 years, the area was acquired by the State in 1951.
History
Glazier Cemetery
The town of Glazier was founded in 1887 when the Panhandle and Santa Fe Railway reached this site. Because of its location north of the Canadian River, Glazier was an ideal shipping point for area cattle, even when flooding made the river impassable. A post office was established in Glazier in 1906. In 1916, a fire which started in a feed mill virtually destroyed the town's business district.
History
Hemphill County
Formed form Young and Bexar territories. Created August 21, 1876. Organized July 5, 1886. Named in honor of John Hemphill, 1809-1862. First Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the State of Texas. Adjutant General of the Somervell Expedition. Member of the first State Constitutional Convention. Member of the United States Congress. Canadian, the county seat.
History
Hemphill County Jail
Built in 1890, first permanent public building in both town of Canadian and Hemphill County. Erected under administration of E. E. Polly, first county judge. Ironically, deception plagued construction of this jail, as building contracts were found to be fraudulent and citizens took legal action all the way to the Texas Supreme Court (1889).
History
John Hemphill
(1803 - 1862) Star and Wreath. On the eve of secession, U.S. Senator Hemphill set forth to Senate January 1861 Texas' right to secede and again became a sovereign nation. Elected delegate provisional Confederate Congress at Montgomery, Alabama which drafted the new nation's constitution, mobilized manpower, set up financial structure, elected political leaders.
Architecture
Jones Mansion
Prominent area rancher Thomas Stanley Jones, a native of Wales, had this home built in 1910 for his wife, Rosalie (Whaley), and their children. Designed by Amarillo architect E. Wellington, it was the first brick residence constructed in Canadian.
History
Mary B. Isaacs
(1854 - 1930) Born in Massachusetts. Came to Texas, 1888, as Hemphill County's first public school teacher. Often saw Indians darken the schoolroom windows trying to watch her classes recite. Married Will C. Isaacs in 1892. Founder and guiding spirit of The Canadian Women's Christian Temperance Union, an organization she served for 44 years. Under her leadership, W. C. T. U.
History
Moody Hotel
In 1910 Canadian was a thriving railroad and marketing center with a Baptist Academy. English-born Robert Moody (1838-1915), a rancher, banker and trustee of the academy, decided to build a hotel that would reflect the town's prosperity. On the site of the former McIntosh Hotel, he began construction of this brick veneered building.
History
Old Military Road
(1874 - 1890) One of earliest known Texas Panhandle trails. Flint-pierced mastodon bones show prehistoric men trailed this valley before Indians were here. In 1875, U.S. Army came this way to Fort Elliott, at Mobeetie (30 mi. SW). Mail routes and stagecoaches used this trail, 1878-1890. (1969)
History
R. Dick Bussell
(1845-1935) Famed hunter, in 1870s killed buffalo on this square; was one of the first men to hunt commercially. Came to Texas in 1874. In 1887, helped to survey the townsite here, where he became lifelong resident, operating a livery stable and wagon yard. Is buried in local cemetery. (1967)
History
Robert R. Young
(February 14, 1897 - January 25, 1958) A leader in America's finance and transportation. Born here, in house built by lawyer Temple Houston, son of Republic of Texas President Sam Houston. His grandfather was traildriver, pioneer rancher; his father, president of the first bank in Canadian.
History
Route of Marcy Trail
This overland route, blazed in 1849 by energetic and efficient Army Captain R. B. Marcy, was best known as part of the California gold trail. Starting in Oklahoma, Marcy led an expedition across the Texas Panhandle and back through central West Texas. Both of the wagon roads he laid out served the emigrant traffic.
Military
Site of Lyman's Wagon Train Batttle
(2.5 miles south, 1.7 miles east) During the U.S. Army campaigns in 1874 against marauding Indians, Captain Wyllys Lyman led a wagon train to Camp Supply, Okla., for rations for Gen. Nelson A. Miles' troops on duty in Texas. On the way, Indians attacked, and the longest Indian battle in Panhandle history ensued. Fighting from a wagon corral Sept.
History
Site of Old Springer's Road Ranch
(12.2 mi. east) First post office in Hemphill County. Unique for tunnel from dugout home-store to corral. On 1870's trail from Ft. Elliott (35 mi. SW) to Ft. Supply, Ind. Terr., to Ft. Dodge, Kans. Established by A. G. Springer; besides running 300 head of cattle, Springer's was a stagecoach stand, tavern; store (mainly for teamster, hunters) had liquor, canned goods, hunting equipment.
History
The Former Canadian Hospital
This building, now a residence, was Canadian's first hospital, opened on June 16, 1917. Funds for construction were obtained by public subscription. Dr. H. C. Caylor, first owner, sold to Dr. L. V. Dawson in 1920. From 1924 to 1949, Dr. E. H. Morris was owner. A tornado that killed or hurt some 200 to 260 people in the Glazier-Higgins area (10 to 27 mi.
History
Tom T. McGee
(Sept. 13, 1849 - Nov. 24, 1894) Came to Canadian about 1884. Was foreman on PO Ranch prior to election as first sheriff of Hemphill County, 1887 - year city of Canadian was founded. Nov. 23, 1894, in gun fight with 6 men attacking large shipment of money at Wells, Fargo & Co., he was mortally wounded, and he died the next day.
Civic & Local
W. C. T. U. Building
Only structure in the nation built, owned and still operated by a local chapter of Women's Christian Temperance Union. Built 1911, with financing and upkeep from annual bazaars held since 1906. Also, used by public library and civic groups. Determined to abolish liquor by local option election, the chapter organized in 1902. Won first election a year later.